GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

A easy question for you today :thumbsup:

What was your favorite & worst subject/class at school ? :read:

My favorite - Biology ( or any science )
My worst - English

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Worst was Physics. I took it because I was told it was easier than Chemistry, and I only passed because the teacher let us do extra credit. It's not that I didn't try, I just didn't get it!

Favorite was Choir, second-favorite were Music Theory and Drama. Choir was last set and I loved ending the day singing.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
High School

Best - Math. I took summer school each year in math too so that in my senior year I was college level advance calculus. Funny thing was my geometry sucked so in college they placed me back in geometry. All math classes I took at college level I would finish the whole semester homework by the second week and the professor usually let me just test and skip class.

Worst - Biology. I think it was as much my teacher as the subject. I took anatomy classes for forensic anthropology in college and liked them. But biology in high school I almost always feel asleep and only passed because my lab partner carried me.

College

Best - Anthropology and Film (so much fun, we basically watched movies and talking about stereotypes and cultural approaches to media) or
Middle Eastern Studies (mostly because my professor lived a year in a traditional town with the full burka and one of textbooks was the book she wrote about it. So we got a really good first hand account from the Western perspective) or
Art and Anthropology (we would look at artwork and talk about how the art reflected cultural norms of the time, focus point, color scheme, etc, and how you can learn about a culture from the art it leaves behind).
Ohhh... Educational Anthropolgy was also fascinating. About how people learn basically and differences in learning styles. I loved it probably because most of my life I have been a coach, counselor, or trainer or some variation.

Worst - Pottery I dropped because I just couldn't get the wheel down. Give me a block of clay and I can sculpt but a wheel just doesn't work.
Tied with Speech because I hate scripted public speaking. Throw me in front of a few hundred people with a reason and I am good. I opened Disneyland for a few years and lead the countdown, I ran trainings for a 100-200 people at a time. But scripted blah.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Best would be history.

Worst would be Grammar, though I did like the Literature classes. I still get a sinking feeling when I think about diagramming sentences. I also wasn't athletic so I hated PhysEd.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Worst was definitely math. :lol: I took a self-paced remedial math course after high school and SO many things finally clicked. :idea: :lol: That's when I figured out that my learning style does not mesh with a traditional classroom teaching style when it comes to math. I wish I'd known that years earlier! I muddled through my classes ok and I could have tried harder too.

Best was probably English; although I've never been one to care what the different parts of speech and things are. :wink: But then again; I do feel strongly about the Oxford Comma. :smash: :soapbox:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Worst would be math with a tie in gym.
Best would be English or languages. I did well taking Spanish and French.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(School)

Best:

Drama/Theater, History, English, Media Studies, Gym, Biology, Philosophy. General faves as well as best grades.

Worst:

All Maths and Chemistry :cringe::cringe: Bad at it, hated it.

I clearly inherited my grandfather's scholarly brain, who was a philosophy professor, instead of my father's brain, who is an extremely highly educated genius physicist :lol: no joke. Ah, genes....

And then I was finally free of the horrors of math and the horrors of High School altogether....

(University)

Best:

History. Which is a big duh, as it was my major! Har har. Loved it. Also enjoyed and did well in Philosophy, Archaeology and English, not surprising. Did some electives in Paleontology and Biology of Nature/Ecology, which I liked and thankfully did well!

Worst:

Linguistics. Harder than it looks :ohwell: managed to scrape on by and hang in there. It was interesting, but it didn't suit my lacked mathy brain. I tried a psychology course and struggled, so left it early as I was concerned about not making it. Again, at least for me, much harder than it looks.

And while I did well in this course, I really did not enjoy Anthropology for a variety of reasons.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Best - definitely English/Literature and AP Spanish.
Favorite - Art, absolutely love Art, inherited my father's talent and passed it down to my oldest child.
Least Favorite - Math, nothing creative about math.:wink:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite and the best subject was Art.
My worst subjects were Chemistry and Math.

When I got into a health-related major in college, I needed to take a lot of chemistry. Well, I could not do the math. I had to sit Chemistry out for a year and it was suggested I take Basic Math. This college math course began with simple addition and proceeded from there. It was the best thing that could have happened to me! I was able to pass Trigonometry (just barely)! Chemistry, just barely. Now many years later, I feel I would do very well in a math course because of my life and work experiences.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my best would be math. worst would be PhysEd.

but during my elementary and high school years (just hated school btw -- not the learning part, but the social interaction part), that really depended a lot on the teachers. for instance, i failed algebra taught by a teacher who would simply write an equation with it's (steps to) solution on the blackboard, then give us an assignment to do for the classroom time -- we didn't turn that work in, teacher never even looked at it. but the next year (different teacher, and at a different school) my final grade for algebra was A+, and i scored the second highest in the Regents exam (NY State).

as for PhysEd, that depended on the teacher too. i loved PhysEd with one teacher, but absolutely hated it with others.

i think teachers can motivate students, interest them in the subject to be taught......or simply not.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My worst and most hated subject was Maths. I still can't stand Maths. I mean seriously, what's the point of it? I once got into trouble for writing "Who cares?" in the answer sheet on a particularly annoying maths test.

:lol:

My favourite subjects were Art and English Literature.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely loved Biology and English Literature.

Shorthand. I despised shorthand with a passion. Completely useless class for me. Got a D in it. To this day, I have never used anything Shorthand in my business or personal life.

Home Ec. I had to take Home Ec. Got a D in it. I could burn water with very little trouble.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Home Ec. I had to take Home Ec. Got a D in it. I could burn water with very little trouble.
What? But....I always imagined you were an absolute genius in the kitchen. I thought burning things was my department.

I made toast from frozen bread straight out of the freezer the other day. Managed to get it black on one side, brown on the other and still frozen in the middle. Beat that!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
What? But....I always imagined you were an absolute genius in the kitchen. I thought burning things was my department.

I made toast from frozen bread straight out of the freezer the other day. Managed to get it black on one side, brown on the other and still frozen in the middle. Beat that!
Oh, heavens, no. I was horrible in the kitchen. People actually pitied Rick when we first got married. I still say that's why his mom started teaching me stuff....because she was genuinely afraid her poor son was going to starve. I'm totally serious. I could make scrambled eggs, but had to stand right by the stove at all times and keep an eye on the eggs. If not, they burned. And about that burning water? I was trying to boil water in a teakettle and let the teakettle run dry. Burned a hole in the bottom of the teakettle. I set dishtowels on fire. I burned the bottom of my MIL's favorite Dutch oven to the point where it had to be replaced; the food was charred. We couldn't get it out.

Look up "Kitchen Menace" in the dictionary and my name's right there!

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Best was math. I went on to major in Mathematics in College, and received a B.A. cum laude. I spent my college years floating around in 13 dimensional space and had a blast! I know most folks choose 11 dimensions, but I hit a few problems there, which disappeared in the next step up.

Worst was gym. I absolutely hated it; so I selected an all girls parochial school for high school, in part because they had NO gym program! YIPPEE!!!

Skip forward 40 years, my high school is now co-ed, and has a spanking brand new athletic center!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shorthand. I despised shorthand with a passion. Completely useless class for me. Got a D in it. To this day, I have never used anything Shorthand in my business or personal life.
Thank goodness times have changed and they don't teach that anymore! It's been replaced with newer technology I guess. We didn't have to take home ec type classes either after middle school and that was an abbreviated class. And we didn't even have to sew. :tongue:

Actually they've changed the names now too. :wink: My senior year of high school I had an extra class slot so I took "Working With Young Children." We made bunny cakes and everyone started looking at me like I was nuts when I started smacking the bottom of my pan to get the air bubbles out of the batter. Then one day after a test the teacher called me up to her desk and said something like "Why is this class so easy for you?" I told her it was common sense! :dunno::flail: I don't know if she thought I was cheating? I also told her my mother had studied "nursery education" after high school. :rolleyes2: