Question of the Day, Sunday, the third of September, 2023

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Hello and Happy first Sunday of September!!

So, you're throwing a Labor Day party. For the sake of this question, money is no object.

I would have it catered.

Menu

burgers
hotdogs
chicken
steak
Caesar salad
food for veggies and vegans
potato salad
mac salad
fruit salad
buffalo chicken dip
blt dip
taco dip
chocolate avalanche cake
strawberry shortcake

What would you do?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As it's probably the last time an outdoor event is possible before the weather starts to turn cold, I would have a BBQ.
I would have a fire going for marshamllows/smores
Get a patio heater to help with the evening chill
The menu:
-Burgers/hotdogs/sausages
-Chicken/veggie kabobs
-Corn on the cob
-Potato salad
-Macaroni salad (one creamy and one vinaigrette)
-Cesar salad
-Various veggie/fruit/cheese/pickle trays with appropriate dips
-Chili
-Various cupcakes
-Assortment of cookies

I would get a Texas Horseshoe tournament going for our entertainment.
And maybe get a bouncy castle, depending on who's invited and how many kids there are.

Because money is no object, I'm trying to think of extravagant things...but really there's nothing else I would want...the bouncy castle was my only extravagance that I could think of....
Our family/friends are responsible drinkers...so I guess I could supply the alcohol instead of making it byob.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think crabs and a seafood boil would be fun and special.

Otherwise lets grill the typical burgers and hotdogs but also some ribs and a good salmon. And shrimp. Then skewers of veggies like mushrooms, onions, summer squash and zucchini.

For side dishes nothing beats homemade pasta and potato salad. But maybe some tuna pasta salad too. My mom makes good patio beans. Corn on the cob grilled, buttered and seasoned with this lime/garlic/cilantro seasoning I have is amaaaazing! Fruit salad too.

Crab dip, a pastrami dip, fruit/cheese/veggie trays with crackers and what not. Maybe some pickles and olives.

Beverages would be sweet tea, lemonade, and this punch made with lemonade and frozen fruit the caterer from my wedding rehearsal dinner made. It had like melons and berries and it was SO good!

Dessert would be watermelon, cannoli, almond paste cookies. Maybe a rum cake with cannoli filling.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would also have it catered and thinking Mexican because that's what I'm in the mood for today.
Burritos, Tacos, Taquitos, Quesadillas, Fajitas, Enchiladas, and Tamales for entrees. Guacamole, Nachos, Chips and Salza for appetizers, (no cilantro). Flan, Churros and Tres Leches cake for dessert.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Smoked brisket and chicken with a choice of several different sauces.
Grilled burgers and hot dogs especially if there are young kids there.
Grilled ears of corn some with the typical Mexican street corn toppings on them.
The typical baked beans, coleslaw, potato and macaroni salad.
Homemade ice cream, sheet cake and brownies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As it's probably the last time an outdoor event is possible before the weather starts to turn cold,
I'm starting to think that 'cold' is a lie. It's just a myth someone made up to keep hope alive.

Since I don't particularly like people nor am I much on parties, I'll just go to someone else's for an hour.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If money is no object, I'd definitely hire someone to smoke some meat. Then I'd do the basic picnic foods, pasta and potato salads, fruit and veggie platters, and probably a cake or something.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the mood for a good old fashioned fish fry.Around here,that would be catfish,fried zucchini and green tomatoes,an assortment of your typical salads and baked beans...gotta have burgers and hot dogs,maybe wings for those who don't like fish,and an assortment too of desserts,number one being cheesecake and you can't forget banana pudding.Catered would be nice but I'd provide the basics and everyone bring a favorite dish!Makes it fun and so interesting!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the same as kashmir64 kashmir64 , I would rather go to somebody else's house or a restaurant. But if I had to throw a party it would have cappuccino and vegetarian food. I wouldn't ever serve or cook meat. Well I do pick my dad & brother up meat takeout, forgot about that ..

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, I would love an invitation to every one of your dinners! Please! I'll even beg!

We have a large, white tent (bought it for Rick's 60th birthday party) that we could put in the back yard. Put lights inside, food on tables. Go in and help yourself, then come out with your food and sit by the pool. If it's coolish, we could do a fire in the fire ring.
I would cook. Rick could do the grilling. Our son and grandson could help grill, too. We have two gas grills, so no problem.

A cheese/vegetable/pickle platter with an assortment of dips (I would make Ina's Pan-Fried Onion Dip, Smokey Blue Cheese Dip, etc.)
Louisville wings
Cheddar stuffed 'shrooms
Red beets and pickled eggs

Burger and dogs
Jack's BBQed chicken for the oven (that I finish on the grill) and/or pulled pork with Espresso Sauce
Crock pot beans
Potato salad
Broccoli salad
I would ask my sister to make her amazing mac and cheese

Strawberry pretzel salad (for The Grands, who fight over the stuff)
A large sheet cake, with a smaller gluten-free cake for our DIL
Cookies!
Assorted ice creams

Iced tea and mint ice tea
Orange lemonade
Rick's mom's punch (so good!)
Assortment of beers and sodas in our steel tub

By nightfall, if anyone is still hungry, we could do mountain pies over the fire.