Question of the Day, Sunday the 26th of July, 2020

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Sunday!!

I was pondering this during the last few days.

What was your first house, apartment, flat, dorm room, trailer, barracks, whatever, like after you moved out of your parents home?
Give us a description. Did you like it?

My first was a 4 bedroom house with an attic turned turned bedroom. I was 18 and living with my boyfriend and my parents didn't approve but didn't say anything. The house was built in the early 1900s. Small bedrooms, small bathroom, with another shower in the basement. There were 4 couples and another guy. The dining room was the largest room in the house. We would have people over for dinner, etc, play music and had a lot of fun. The furnishings weren't great but it was a memorable part of my life. I lived there for about a year.

What was your first like?

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved out of my parents and in with my now ex-husband when I was 21. His great-grandparents raised him and sold him their house under the condition that we cared for them until they died. It was a two bedroom ranch that Papa had built in the 40s. We built an addition for two more bedrooms upstairs. We did not do much with the house because it absolutely was Papa and Bena's house: Jesus pictures everywhere, including velvet ones, horses--paintings, sculptures, and figurines--everywhere, a mint green bathtub with gold, white, and black tiles, a green shag carpet in the living room that was painted a lighter green, a galley kitchen that was green and black, and brown carpet in paneled bedrooms. Our upstairs bedroom was nice, though. I also like the location: by a field and a small wooded lot.

But it was also my Bena dancing in the kitchen to big band music and telling me stories, my son sitting on the arm of his Papa's chair watching old westerns, Bena teaching me to cook, Papa being silly, and my daughter learning to walk because she was trying to get to her Bena. I hated that house, and I hate my ex-husband, but Ioved those two humans! Bena has been dead for 13 years, but she is still one of the best friends I have ever had. (She would be happy I left my ex!) My daughter was very young when Bena died, yet she still remembers her in flashes. I did not learn to drive until I was 25. Bena taught me how to remember the turn signals: "If you're doing something that's right, you can uplift others. So remember to do right, you uplift." I taught my daughter the same thing. She said, "Bena is still teaching me something!" My son was particularly close with Papa. When Papa was made to go to a nursing home because his blood sugar was too unstable for him to remain safely at home, my son, who was in his mid-teens, would stay over every weekend at the nursing home to hang out with his Papa. Papa was only there a few months before he passed, but he was never lonely.

Yep. I hated that house.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still living in my first house since moving out of my parent's house. Met a guy who was having it built because his job was moving him almost two hours away from where we lived. I tagged along and we were married 3 months later. Yes you read that right. We only knew each other 3 months when we married!!

When we moved in, it was a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom house with an attached garage. Since then (1997), my husband finished off the basement himself. Added another bedroom and bathroom. He also had a detached garage built for all the hot rods he had bought over the years.

Last year, we redid the kitchen, living room, and the two upstairs bathrooms.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I moved out of my parents house, I bought a mobile home in our local "trailer park". The housing market at the time was high and interest rates were really high too, so a "real" house was just not attainable on a single income. But I refused to waste my money on rent. I still had to pay lot fees, but at least I was building some equity in the home.
It was a 14 foot wide and somewhere around 70 long...I think. It was just over 1000 square feet. 3 bedrooms (2 puny ones and a good sized one for the master), 1 bath and an open concept kitchen/living room and a small entry way that was an add on. The laundry "room" was a little alcove in the hallway at the back of the home.
No garage but we did have a small 10x10 shed.
I liked it fine, although I could have done without the fact that right across the road was where a lot of drug deals would happen.

Last edited:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first home when I moved out of my parents' house was a small one bedroom apartment with a living room, kitchen ( so small I had to put the table and chairs against the wall ), and a bathroom with only a shower, no bathtub. I was single, and made a small salary working in deli/sandwich shop.I remember the rent was $99 plus the electric. It was exciting to be on my own, working and paying for everything myself, fixing up my first home.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved in with 2 of my friends into a house that had the hugest back yard with a huge plum tree in the middle.
Many a summer evening was spent under the tree partying or just talking the night away.
We were 3 guys with vastly different interests and it all worked well.
I shifted out after a couple of years after things got serious with a girlfriend and we moved in together.
Where the house was is now an apartment complex.:(

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first 'home' was Great Lakes Naval Training Center, north of C hicago. The barracks were of brick construction, 3 floors high, in the shape of a squared-off figure 8, with 12 'compartments', each holding a company of 78 men. There was zero privacy for anyone. I couldn't wait to get out of there and away from all the petty stuff we had to put up with. As an aside, I recently went on Google earth, and not one of those buildings remains- not the barracks, nor the drill halls. All gone.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I moved out at 16 when I married Rick. We lived in a mobile home in a park. It was OK. That was in 1971. In '72, Hurricane Agnes hit and we lost pretty much everything we had. Thank goodness we had flood insurance; not many people in trailers did. We used the money to build our first house.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I moved out on my own a couple of years after college. I don't consider a dorm room as moving out on my own since I went back to my parents' house for breaks. I skipped the typical post-college apartment renting. I saved up my money and bought a condo which I still live in.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I shared an apartment in a big old Victorian with a few other students. It took up the whole ground floor, and we had exclusive use of the front porch. That was >40 years ago. One of my former roommates drove past it last year. He was rather surprised it was still standing and barely looked any different.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Shortly after graduating college I met my husband and we were married the following year. Our first apartment was a one bedroom, one bath with small kitchen, (only enough room to cook in), combination living room/dining room. We both worked downtown so wanted to be close to the city. We adopted our first two cats in that apartment and that's when DH became a cat lover. :petcat:

My first 'home' was Great Lakes Naval Training Center, north of Chicago.
I'm somewhat familiar with the area although never been to it. But I know where Fort Sheridan is just south of there since we sometimes go to Highwood to eat out, great restaurants there. I'm sure a lot has changed over the years.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was all timed to work out so, I got married and after a three day honeymoon, moved into a post office with living quarters that my mother in law had just retired from. This was in 1981 and we ran that for five years.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shortly after graduating college I met my husband and we were married the following year. Our first apartment was a one bedroom, one bath with small kitchen, (only enough room to cook in), combination living room/dining room. We both worked downtown so wanted to be close to the city. We adopted our first two cats in that apartment and that's when DH became a cat lover. :petcat:

I'm somewhat familiar with the area although never been to it. But I know where Fort Sheridan is just south of there since we sometimes go to Highwood to eat out, great restaurants there. I'm sure a lot has changed over the years.
Yes- especially since I was there over 50 years ago, although we went past it in '99 on our way up to Green Bay, because Michele loves the Packers.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first apartment after college was with one of my very best friends, Sarah. It was a 2 bedroom and I really enjoyed living with her. A lot of our neighbors thought we were a couple for some reason. She moved out to move into a house with her now-husband. She frequently tells me that if something were to happen to her husband, she'd move back in with me in a heartbeat. I moved back to my parents' house for another 4 years after that apartment though because I was unemployed and couldn't afford to live alone. I then moved into a 400 square foot studio apartment when my parents sold their house. I did like that apartment even if it was super small and I hated my upstairs neighbors. I bought my own house almost 5 months ago. I more than quadrupled my space and I don't know what to do with it all. I have a bedroom that is completely empty that I kind of forget exists. :lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I moved in with DH when we got married; after my 3rd year of college. DH had bought a single-wide trailer when he was 20. It had been repossessed so he had work to do on it; but it was our first home. Apartments in our area were expensive. The trailer gave him more room than an apartment for the cost. He had a roommate until we got married too. It had 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Nothing was fancy or big but we did fix it up nicely inside. Actually the master bath there might have been bigger than our current one; but it was setup different and only had 1 sink. It was nice feeling like the place was ours and not someone else's. Living there let us save money for buying our house too.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was living with my dad when he passed, I was 18 newly married so took over the lease it was a three bedroom semi detached with big garden front and back. We went on to buy the house and lived there for 14 year's in total I had been there 22 years when we got divorced the house got sold. I loved that house.:(