Question of the Day, Sunday the 12th of January, 2020

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
GOOD MORNING, AFTERNOON, EVENING, OR MONDAY!! HAPPY SUNDAY!!

So I've been thinking about food, am I never not??:lol::lol2:

I was pondering this scenario: Let's say for the sake of this question, you were working and had
a new boss. He/She and his/her partner/spouse were new to the area. You thought it would be nice to ask them out for dinner but somehow they misunderstood and thought you were asking them for dinner at your home and, of course you were not going to correct them. One of them is a vegetarian but eats fish, and the other eats anything.

What would you serve? I would start with
escargots or maybe a smoked salmon or goat cheese starter, and maybe something with meat. Are you able to cook fish as it can be tricky for some people. You want this to go well as their is a rumor of a promotion and you so want it. I would hire someone to do most of the cooking. You have a large budget for this.

How about you?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes, what a situation to find yourself in. I dont cook so it would have to be a takeaway. I would find one with a good selection and caters to all choices then let them choose what they want themselves. I would make the effort to provide good crockery, cutlery and table decorations.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might ask them what some of their favorites are, so as not to serve something they hate. To have something they prefer is nice and i know they would appreciate it. A beautiful salad always goes well, as would a meatless spaghetti dish. Or a meatless lasagna. Do not cook/order anything that requires precision or personal likes, like a steak and how it is cooked. Pork chops that can simmer, or a roast would be better. What ever you serve make sure it won't be ruined by waiting a while, you don't want to be nervous about serving quickly. There are many meatless Oriental dishes too that are very good. Or you could make it fun and make homemade pizza, I often do this, company loves them and they can choose what goes on it. ( I'll tell you what, those small packaged crusts are the best, Martha White or Betty Crocker, they beat any homemade!) Tacos too, vegetarian beans and meat as the sides too. Serve with a salad/guacamole salad. Or you can cater it all, but that may make you look a little TOO ritzy, and you don't want that if you're angling for a promotion!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Or you could make it fun and make homemade pizza, I often do this, company loves them and they can choose what goes on it. ( I'll tell you what, those small packaged crusts are the best, Martha White or Betty Crocker, they beat any homemade!)
/QUOTE]

Are they in the refrigerated section or on the shelf? Do you have to roll out the crust?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For starters, I'd have to explain that fish aren't plants, so anyone who eats fish is a pescatarian, not vegetarian. ;)

Then, because I am a vegetarian and don't ever cook with meat, my menu would be all plant based.
So probably start with a salad. 🥗
Main course a vegetarian lasagna, or something else with pasta. 🍝
For dessert maybe a fruit salad 🥝🍐🍎🍇
And maybe a fancy water for the beverage. 🍾

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would probably also go with some kind of vegetarian pasta dish, a nice salad and garlic bread. I might make some kind of nice dessert that isn't heavy, I don't think a heavy dessert goes well after a pasta dish. I don't always get fish right. When it is just me I go ahead and eat it when I don't get it right but I wouldn't want to serve it to my boss.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
For starters, I'd have to explain that fish aren't plants, so anyone who eats fish is a pescatarian, not vegetarian. ;)
:yeah: Exactly, this caught my eye too!

Since I love Thai food and there are a lot of vegetarian options I would bring in several different appetizers and entrees for them. For dessert I would serve sorbet since it's vegetarian friendly.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Exactly, this caught my eye too!

Since I love Thai food and there are a lot of vegetarian options I would bring in several different appetizers and entrees for them. For dessert I would serve sorbet since it's vegetarian friendly.
That was me not being specific in the terminology. Should I have a mod change the wording? :clap: :lol2:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That was me not being specific in the terminology. Should I have a mod change the wording? :clap: :lol2:
No, I think it's fine. Besides you were just "repeating" how our "new boss" described himself/herself, so no need for you to "take the blame". :lol:

No worries, it's a common misconception. :)
It really is. So "our" new boss is in good company. :lol:

Speaking of our "new boss", I figure after I tell them they're really not a vegetarian, I won't have to worry about making them dinner! :biggrin:

If the dinner is still on, I want to add garlic bread to my menu. 🥖

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't eat appetizers or dessert unless they are on my dinner plate. I just prefer a big plate of something all at once. So I would make some type of casserole. Maybe a pasta casserole. I love the type with a lotta cheese and a cracker type topping. It would be vegetarian. The only meat meals I make are for the cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those pizza crusts are in the baking section. They are packaged and near the corn bread.etc. You mix them with water, pat a little oil on them and let them rise 5 minutes. Then I just dump it on a sprayed pizza pan and with fingers I dip in flour, just spread, pull, push it to the edges and form a little ridge with your fingers for a crust. My husband insists on Chef Boyardee pizza sauce too. They also have chef Boyardee Pizza 'kits' that have everythingyou need for two pizzas too. They are near the pizza sauce section usually. I then add hamburger (prebrowned), pepperoni, green pepper, onion, etc. or whatever you want. Vegatarians can make it all veggie!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I think it's fine. Besides you were just "repeating" how our "new boss" described himself/herself, so no need for you to "take the blame". :lol:

It really is. So "our" new boss is in good company. :lol:

Speaking of our "new boss", I figure after I tell them they're really not a vegetarian, I won't have to worry about making them dinner! :biggrin:

If the dinner is still on, I want to add garlic bread to my menu. 🥖
I used to work with two people who ate fish and insisted they were "vegetarian". Of course they were not.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, not all seafood is fish.
Some people are fish specific, in other words they won't eat crustaceans like shrimp or crab. Or they will not eat "bottom fish" like flounder or catfish. Some folks will only eat freshwater fish like trout and river salmon.

I'm always at a bit of a loss when I run into folks with specific diets. I have so many friends with allergies or diet restrictions, I can't keep track anymore. So, half the time I end up getting it wrong. :sigh:

I'd try to keep it simple.
  • A generous salad (greek style?), marinara pasta, and garlic bread.
  • or Stir fried veggies (& pineapple?) with veggie potstickers, teryaki chicken add for the meat eaters.
  • or If salmon is acceptable, bake some with a bit of lemon, dill and butter, or pesto butter, served over rice, with side salad or pan cooked asparagus (or both). When I'm feeling like showing off, I'll make hollandaise sauce for the fish.
  • a couple different cheeses and crackers for appetizer/nibbles, maybe a little garlic hummus depending on main dish.
  • some nice red and white wine, if alcohol is acceptable.
  • dessert... I'm always a fan of ice cream and fresh baked cookies. goes well with after dinner coffee.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd do something simple. Baked stuffed shells (no meat) made with a homemade marinara sauce, salad and garlic bread. Appetizer plate would have different cheeses, olives and veggies. A nice red wine to go with. Iced tea, lemonade or sparkling water available if needed. Dessert would be something simple. Homemade brownies with vanilla ice cream and coffee/tea. Grand Marnier, amaretto and Kahlua available to add to coffee or by itself if so desired.

I wouldn't touch the whole vegetarian/pescatarian thing with a 10 foot pole. It's not my place to correct them, most people don't like being corrected publicly (especially in front of their SO) and there's no way in heck I'd say anything if there's a promotion at stake. The person could label him/herself a purple unicorn for all I care.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Also, not all seafood is fish.
Some people are fish specific, in other words they won't eat crustaceans like shrimp or crab. Or they will not eat "bottom fish" like flounder or catfish. Some folks will only eat freshwater fish like trout and river salmon.

I'm always at a bit of a loss when I run into folks with specific diets. I have so many friends with allergies or diet restrictions, I can't keep track anymore. So, half the time I end up getting it wrong. :sigh:

I'd try to keep it simple.
  • A generous salad (greek style?), marinara pasta, and garlic bread.
  • or Stir fried veggies (& pineapple?) with veggie potstickers, teryaki chicken add for the meat eaters.
  • or If salmon is acceptable, bake some with a bit of lemon, dill and butter, or pesto butter, served over rice, with side salad or pan cooked asparagus (or both). When I'm feeling like showing off, I'll make hollandaise sauce for the fish.
  • a couple different cheeses and crackers for appetizer/nibbles, maybe a little garlic hummus depending on main dish.
  • some nice red and white wine, if alcohol is acceptable.
  • dessert... I'm always a fan of ice cream and fresh baked cookies. goes well with after dinner coffee.
What time should I be there? :clap: :lol2: