Question of the Day, Sunday the 10th of September, 2023

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Hello and Happy Sunday!!!

What is your fave family recipe?

My mother's lasagna. Her secret was a bit of swiss cheese along with the mozzarella, sooo good.

What about you? It can be something you make

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has to be cottage pie loved it when mum used to make it, and my kid's and grandkids love it when I make it now. Such a easy tasty filling meal. When my son's girlfriend came to stay from the states to the UK he even asked if I would make it. I obviously did as it's his favourite and surprised him by meeting up with his girlfriend to hand over the dish so she could just pop it in the oven for their dinner. He was working from home and his girlfriend said as it cooked he said is that mum's cottage pie she's done it for us. And was surprised that we had plotted behind his back. When he asked I had just said yes I'll cook one at some point this week. :lol:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say my favorite childhood meal was lima beans & ham over rice. Very simple, but you cook the ham & beans down to make a sauce and then just pour it over white rice. I used to make it but none of the ham tastes the same since they started adding vinegar and/or celery juice. I even ordered one and had it shipped from my home town a few years ago. They claimed they didn't add either of those, but it just didn't even smell or taste like ham. It's a bit depressing. I used to make a big pot of it and freeze it (minus the rice), so it was an easy meal when I didn't feel like cooking.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom made the best pierogi.. Also, I also miss her potato pancakes which she would serve with a brown gravy (from scratch) which still had some shredded beef in it.. I never could duplicate it. I do not know what she did to make it taste so good.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mom's chicken and waffles. She always made it on a snowy night and it was always delicious. Comfort food at its finest, for me anyway.

I don't know what my favorite meal is that I make. Rick would probably say my beef pot pie and I really think that's what my son would say as well. I know that's what the Grands love. I've even made it, at their request, as our Christmas dinner. (A few weeks ago, the kids were at our DIL's BIL's cabin. He prides himself on his pot pie. He made a huge batch. When he asked everybody if it was good, they all said yes. But when he asked our son, "Is it as good as your mom's?" Graham said, "Sorry, but nope! Nobody makes pot pie like my mom." And the Grands agreed. The BIL was not particularly amused and he asked our son privately how I make my pot pie. So if I can do something right, it's pot pie!)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My mom was not the best cook although she did cook every night and I don't think I ever remember her baking. Her food was bland, i.e. she barely used any seasonings. So both my sister and I developed our own style of cooking/baking. Since I love baking more than cooking my favorite recipe is a chocolate chip bundt cake w/chocolate glaze.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Palačinke. I also like the brownies my grandma made, but those definitely were not a family recipe because I have a picture of the recipe in a newspaper.

My husband has a tuna and rice recipe from his family in the Great Depression. It's very simple but good.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Mom was a great cook.I don't think I remember anything she made that I didn't care for. The one thing that comes to mind right now that I adored was her roast loin of pork.Back in those days you got the roast with the chine bone on it,and she always left it so.She was big on spices,herbs and seasoning food well,and her roast was to die for,as was the gravy she made to go with it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pretty much anything, really. Mom can make the same thing I do, and for some reason hers always tastes better. Grandma had a lot of things she loved to bake. She and my other grandma had this delicious cookie recipe that I can. Not. Find. 😭

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Cannelloni. It is tube shaped noodles stuffed with a seasoned beef/pork mixture, then covered with marinara sauce and cheese and baked. The marinara is made “the long way”, simmered at least eight hours until it is thick and sweet.

We also have a wonderful potato salad recipe that my mother received from a coworker when she was in her late teens. The dressing for the potato salad is made with only two ingredients - miracle whip and French dressing. The It is the only potato salad we ever make and I think it tastes far better than the mustard kind.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man... There are no bad cooks in my family so picking a favorite is hard. Maybe just simple spaghetti and meatballs with my Gram's homemade sauce. Grandpa and my Uncle would make homemade sausage after he hunted every year. There was always some sausage in the sauce and often a few chunks of beef too. Deeelish!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All my Mom's meals were "meat and potato" types, so since I'm now vegetarian, I don't make any of those.
Baking wise, though I don't ever bake it, her best recipe was for a chocolate cake. :yummy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
All my Mom's meals were "meat and potato" types, so since I'm now vegetarian, I don't make any of those.
Baking wise, though I don't ever bake it, her best recipe was for a chocolate cake. :yummy:
how long have you not eaten meat, rubes?