Question Of The Day, Sunday, September 30, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :hellocomputer:

a ways back, i'd lost track of where my extra set of dishwashing gloves were stored. really kinda frustrating, knowing that i had them but just couldn't find them.

for today's Question of the Day......

What was the last thing you lost or misplaced? and, Did you ever find it?

i'll start!

yup, those dishwashing gloves. i did find them recently, though. i had looked everywhere i could think of, that 'a ways back', but hadn't been able to find them.

i was just a couple weeks ago reorganizing my upstairs closets, when i came across a small box which was clearly labeled 'spare dishwashing gloves'...:doh: and i remembered why i stored them there, too. i thought i wouldn't need them for a while. :headshake:

so, i moved them downstairs to the kitchen. you know, to where it actually made sense to store them. ;)

this made me glad that i take the time to reorganize things/areas in my house on a pretty regular basis.

okay, now it's your turn!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Aw geez. You name it, we've lost it. Rick is constantly losing his glasses; he does find them again....eventually. One year, he was closing the pool. We got it vacuumed out and got the winter cover thrown on and he tightened it down. Came into the house. And he started looking for his glasses. Well! We looked all over the house, the car, the truck, in the basement. I kept asking him, "Dear, did you wear them while we were closing the pool?" "NO!" he kept saying. Well, the following spring, we opened the pool, did a vacuum....and found his glasses. Somehow he had dropped them in the water and didn't realize it. He probably took them off to do something, never put them back on, and they ended up in the pool. Not that he'll ever admit to it.

The most memorable recently lost item was last year. Rick had bought me the current season of Supernatural on Black Friday for my Christmas stocking. He swears he stuck it in his closet, but he tore the closet apart and it couldn't be found. A couple months later, he was sitting at his desk and.....there it was. Still in the Target bag. To this day, we don't know how it got in there. He swears he didn't do it and I certainly didn't do it. We couldn't even find the thing. The man's desk is messy, but it's not that messy that we couldn't see a Target bag. And it was right out in the open. After months.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A diamond.

Years ago I had an engagement diamond (ex) set into a solitaire necklace setting. I've had it for decades. I stopped wearing it because my current husband purchased a necklace for me that obviously was more significant to me, but also obviously, kept the diamond.

I always knew where it was and then suddenly, it was gone. For like, a year, vanished. I made a LOT of assumptions ranging from me dropping it somewhere in the house, to cleaning people finding it and other scenarios involving guests to our home.

About a month ago, I happened to open my bedroom nightstand drawer, and found a couple of very small jewelry boxes in it. I almost never even use that drawer and was surprised anything was in it. Well, of course one box contained the diamond pendent. I was thrilled, not only because it was found but because I could finally discard all the nefarious possibilities I'd concocted to explain the disappearance :running:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My checkbook. I never did find it and I had to order more because I was almost out of them. I never did find iy. I think it must of gotten mixed in with some trash and I threw it away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw geez. You name it, we've lost it. Rick is constantly losing his glasses; he does find them again....eventually. One year, he was closing the pool. We got it vacuumed out and got the winter cover thrown on and he tightened it down. Came into the house. And he started looking for his glasses. Well! We looked all over the house, the car, the truck, in the basement. I kept asking him, "Dear, did you wear them while we were closing the pool?" "NO!" he kept saying. Well, the following spring, we opened the pool, did a vacuum....and found his glasses. Somehow he had dropped them in the water and didn't realize it. He probably took them off to do something, never put them back on, and they ended up in the pool. Not that he'll ever admit to it.

The most memorable recently lost item was last year. Rick had bought me the current season of Supernatural on Black Friday for my Christmas stocking. He swears he stuck it in his closet, but he tore the closet apart and it couldn't be found. A couple months later, he was sitting at his desk and.....there it was. Still in the Target bag. To this day, we don't know how it got in there. He swears he didn't do it and I certainly didn't do it. We couldn't even find the thing. The man's desk is messy, but it's not that messy that we couldn't see a Target bag. And it was right out in the open. After months.
your most memorable recently lost item was last year, a Christmas stocking gift from your DH! and it simply appeared on your DH's desk a couple months later!!! :clap: wow, that's kind of 'Twilight Zone'-ish!! :agree:

my bet is on either your Molli or Tabby, for who found it! :clapcat: Molli because she loves you so much, or Tabby because she saw a way to thank your DH for sharing cereal with her! :D

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This may sound a bit silly but I had a special clip I used to close the food bag for Neely. I used the food as a topper. I looked high and low and in all the obvious places but never found it. :frown: Maybe I should start looking in the not-so-obvious places, lol. ;)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A diamond.

Years ago I had an engagement diamond (ex) set into a solitaire necklace setting. I've had it for decades. I stopped wearing it because my current husband purchased a necklace for me that obviously was more significant to me, but also obviously, kept the diamond.

I always knew where it was and then suddenly, it was gone. For like, a year, vanished. I made a LOT of assumptions ranging from me dropping it somewhere in the house, to cleaning people finding it and other scenarios involving guests to our home.

About a month ago, I happened to open my bedroom nightstand drawer, and found a couple of very small jewelry boxes in it. I almost never even use that drawer and was surprised anything was in it. Well, of course one box contained the diamond pendent. I was thrilled, not only because it was found but because I could finally discard all the nefarious possibilities I'd concocted to explain the disappearance :running:
you had misplaced a diamond, that was set into a solitaire necklace, and you did find it (in an unlikely place) recently!!! :thumbsup: excellent!! :)

it seems like so often misplaced items are found in unlikely places, places we have a hard time understanding why we would have put them there. :agree:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm always setting my hair tie down and people will put books or magazines on top of it, so it takes a while to find it. When I used to drive more, it was my car keys.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My checkbook. I never did find it and I had to order more because I was almost out of them. I never did find iy. I think it must of gotten mixed in with some trash and I threw it away.
you lost your checkbook, and never did find it!!! :alright: that's an important thing, too!! :agree:

i could see losing a checkbook. i could see myself putting my checkbook in a bag of groceries, thinking that i'd take it out and put it where it belongs when i unpack the groceries at home. then forgetting about it, not noticing it in the emptied grocery bag, and throwing it in the trash. i'll make a mental note of that, not to do that! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound a bit silly but I had a special clip I used to close the food bag for Neely. I used the food as a topper. I looked high and low and in all the obvious places but never found it. :frown: Maybe I should start looking in the not-so-obvious places, lol. ;)
you've misplaced a special clip that you used to close the food bag for your Neely, and have looked for it but haven't found it as yet!!! :hugs:

i'm sure you'll find it eventually! :agree: i think sometimes we'll put things in places that seem to make sense at the time, but that aren't easy for us to remember.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't normally misplace things. I'm not a neat freak by any means, but items I know I will need often go into their place as soon as I'm done using them. That way, they will always be there when I need it.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lose my phone all the time. I really do not go anywhere, but I lose it in my house and it is always on silent/alarm only. My family encourages me to set a random daily alarm. I do not.

Now, the last thing I misplaced other than my phone was my keys. My husband was in a car accident and the insurance totaled his car. We were supposed to mail my spare set of keys to them. Instead, I mailed mine, which is the only set for my car. I noticed it about an hour after my husband had dropped them at Fed Ex.

I called Fed Ex and explained what happened. They said that they would send a return message and get them back to me by the next day. At the time, they were still in NE Ohio. The next day, they were on their way to N. Carolina. The following day, they were signed for by an employee. A bunch of phone calls exchanged before someone told my husband that they were sending it back.

They then proceeded to describe it as a Chevy key. His car was a Honda and mine is a Ford. The woman argued with us and said that she had a Chevy key so we were getting a Chevy key. More phone calls were exchanged and things escalated. No one contacted the woman who signed for the package and I was not given her number. Four days later, the supervisor got a hold of her and was told that she had shipped it back but not by express shipping. Eight days after I sent my keys, they were returned.

Since I do not go out often, it almost was not a real problem. I did, however, have to take my daughter to her nephrologist at a large hospital out of town that week. My wheelchair and only medical placard were in my car. I can use my cane for short distances, but it is painful. We were able to use a loaner wheelchair, but I had to make it from the parking garage to the courtesy desk in the main hospital.

Everyone still teases me about my keys.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ My special kitty cat food fork. Found it on the floor . Often my cats "lose" things for me ! They steal something off my desk or counter to play with - then I eventually find it. :winkcat:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I locked my keys inside my car at the gas station once, with it running. One of the guys there had to pick the lock with a coat hanger. :D
When my daughter was a baby (she is almost 18 now), I got out of my car to take her into the baby sitter's house and locked her in with the car running! Haha! We just waited for her dad to come and unlock it, but I was so upset!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm always setting my hair tie down and people will put books or magazines on top of it, so it takes a while to find it. When I used to drive more, it was my car keys.
your hair tie becomes misplaced often, which you are able to find after some looking around, and when you used to drive, it was your car keys that got misplaced!!! :clap: very nice!! :D

i always keep my keys in the same place -- either with the chain lock looped through them on the door, or on the floor just out the door in the enclosed back porch. that way i never close the door and get locked out of my house! ;)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't normally misplace things. I'm not a neat freak by any means, but items I know I will need often go into their place as soon as I'm done using them. That way, they will always be there when I need it.
you don't normally misplace things, as you have a 'system' to prevent that!!! :thumbsup: awesome!! :)

that's what i do, too. i have a place for everything, and try to make sure that everything is put in it's place. and that's why it was so frustrating when i misplaced those dishwashing gloves! :agree: