Question of the Day: Sunday, September 18

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The weather has turned cold (wet and miserable) but I refuse to turn on the central heating just yet. Fuel prices here have soared but thick socks and an old knitted jacket keep most of me warm - though my nose is icecold. 🥶.
:coldcat:To add to my concerns, my oldest cat seems to be feeling the cold and has decided the warmest place in the house is on my laptop computer. Yesterday evening I was determined to get up-to-date with my correspondence, but Mogi thought otherwise. She managed to turn the computer off so many times and create new key-combinations that I had to give up and shut up shop. Today I have distributed hot-water bottles and heating pads in or on her favourite sleeping places but the laptop is preferred and I have received numerous scratches and bites while trying to keep her away - just for 5 minutes - not only to set my "question of the day" but to order some more heating pads which retain their heat a bit longer than a hot-water bottle or a cherrystone heating pad.

However, we still have an indoor temperature of 20 °C (68 °F) and outside temperatures reached a maximum of 13 °C (55 °F) so we have a long way to go before winter sets in. Under normal circumstances I would turn the heating on, or light a fire, but who knows how bad things are going to get - so more blankets on the bed, quick showers, heating pads for the cats ....... Still no-one can talk me out of retrieving the slow cooker from the cellar and preparing comfort food! So that's a nice warming thought for tomorrow. 🍲

When do you normally decide to start up the heating boiler or turn on underfloor heating for the winter ? ☺
Pssss! Mogi has found a chair where I have hidden a hot-water bottle under the cushion! Poor old, cold cat! :sleepycat:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally I prefer to wait until it’s 45 outside, but I kicked it on the other day ‘just to try it out’ 😂

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I live in the northern part of the US where we get blizzards in winter along with a polar vortex every year or two so we try to hold off turning on the heat as long as possible. Usually not until late November or when the indoor thermostat indicates 55F, outdoor temp in the 40F degree range.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well it's 81 outside right now and it is supposed to be 90F Wednesday so it will be a while before the heat is turned on. I still have the air conditioning on. It is usually sometime in October before the heat is turned on.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I turn my heat on some time between mid September and early October. I have already had it on a few nights because temps were in lower 50’s at night. The thermostat is set for 62 at night so it won’t go on unless it is colder than that .

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're in the northeast US. I would not think about heat until it was consistently in the low 60's all day and night. And then most likely use it only in overnight.

Once it gets into the 50's, that does become uncomfortable for us as our home is old and drafty even with having replaced all the windows. Heat then is on all the time though we moderate it as needed.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Ontario Canada...so the heaters get turned on as early as...well...now. I don't have central heating though and use a gas stove/fireplace or electric baseboard heaters in specific rooms, so I can easily turn one on in a certain room if it's chilly, but turn it off again when the temp warms up...Our falls are very up and down and it's mostly dampness that "chills to the bone" that's an issue right now. Just 2 days ago, I had to turn our little infra-red heater on in the living room for the evening as it was quite damp and cold but it's been fine since. I always put more clothes on before deciding to turn on the heat, but sometimes it's not enough.
I tend to keep the house on the cooler side and only up the heat in certain areas while "in use".

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I try to go without until the beginning of November. Sometimes I make it; sometimes I don't. We definitely don't turn the heat on until the pool is closed and we're no longer running the pump. We do have an electric blanket for chillier nights. And around the middle of October (give or take, depending on the weather) is when I'll put the flannel sheets on the bed and the heavier comforter.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally around mid October, or whenever it gets too cold in the house! The temperatures are already dropping here, and we are already resorting to blankets and fluffy jumpers/big duvets (less heating, because of the cost of living expenses.)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever the temperature inside my house gets below 60 degrees, so that could be mid-October or November. I anticipate my dad will probably turn the heat on when he's house/pet sitting for me in October because he doesn't like the cold as much as I do.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here it is getting close to the end of September and it's 90 ish outside.My air is running and will be for awhile yet I'm sure.I don't mind if it's cool inside as I get out a sweatshirt,don a pair of sweatpants and wool socks if my feet get cold.It's got to be pretty chilly for me to get out the flannel sheets...I'd rather throw a fleece blanket under the comforter.As for the kitties and dogs,they have a huge collection of fleece blankies to snuggle into,and once the heat gets turned on,they'll start sleeping on their couch and I'll set the dog beds back up again.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We just go by how the house feels rather than a calendar. I think it’s usually in October sometime and just for the night.

Mooch likes to bury herself under a blanket when it first turns cool. I have a heated bed that can go in her chair. She loves a warm lap covered in a thick cozy blanket though.:cloud9::catlove:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
As late as possible. My place is so small I don't keep it above 65. just rug up.

So sweet about your old girl.💖

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's 79 outside this morning, but a wee bit chilly in the house. I have a heating pad on my computer chair for my back, so I will turn that on in a bit. It makes it very cozy. We are still using air conditioning upstairs at night when it starts feeling too warm to sleep, but set the thermostat to 77 or 78.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever necessary. I have snakes and aquariums so I can't let the house temp get under 65 or their heaters can't keep up.

Sometime we have to run AC one day and the heater the next day, and then back to AC, lol.