Question of the Day: Sunday, October 9

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had three at a time and that was too many for me. Two is okay and having just one was fine as well. It sort of depends on the emotional needs of each cat. I have had a couple that I barely knew were in the house and others that demanded a portion of my time every day. It also makes a difference if they all get along or if any have special needs.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to say; when Mooch and Noodles were young, that I wanted 6 cats and 2 dogs. After my kids were born 2 cats were all the pets we needed!

Now I really do want to add a dog to our family. I think my DS would benefit especially. 2 could still be amazing but no more; especially because I want Golden Retrievers; not small dogs.

But cats I'm torn on. I definitely like them in pairs. I've had 3 at once when I lived at home and that was good because one didn't want much attention so the other 2 had each other and left her alone. I think I'd really have to take it cat by cat. I don't see me having more than 4. Mooch and Noodles were litter mates and both developed health issues at pretty much the same time; even though they were different issues. So now that I'm down to one 17 year old cat I don't like the idea of not having ANY around; but I won't bring more in with Mooch at this age. And I want to do justice to the ones I already have before committing to more.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If money was no factor, we would be more remote and have more land. We'd take on more ferals/rescues for the barn cat life. We have a habit of wanting every cat we see and currently have 4, so 14 wouldn't be surprising if we had the space and funds.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago I’d have said I’d love to go back to having five cats. But now, if I was rich and had my own house and wasn’t my mother’s carer ... I don’t know if I’d have any more. I’m not yet sixty, but if anything happens to me my darlings will have to go to a shelter.

Besides, there’s barely enough room in the bed for me with just two of them! :lol:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
If money wasn't a problem I would have bought a small plot of land, build a cat / dog and human houses there, and live happily ever after.

No more fosters, all automatic adoptions.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to come back to this! I was thinking about this question and it struck me, if money was no object, I would build a cat lovers community and invite everyone who would like more kitties! An endless supply of humans to give love and care would mean limits would also be endless! :woohoo:All kitties and all cat lovers welcome!:cloud9:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
If money was no object, I would buy someplace that had ferals and TNR and care for them outside.
However, in my house three is my max, I've found. I have 4 now and while they are well taken care of I feel I should give more attention to them, so in the future I plan to keep it at 3. I say "plan." Who knows if I will stick to it! But 4 is the absolute max in my house. I'd want to build a catio if money was abundant.

An aside, October 9th would have been my mom's 95th birthday.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee is very territorial and doesn't like other cats (sadly his relationship with his brother Fudge, who we also adopted, didn't work out and Fudge has been missing since 2020), so whilst we have him we wouldn't adopt any other cats (or dogs - which has been a consideration!) as it wouldn't be fair on either Toffee or the other cat/s. If things were different though, I would love to have at least one more or a dog.