Question of the Day, Sunday, October 9, 2016

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm pretty good with 7, although would prefer 8. I rarely get it.

I go to bed pretty early, and have to be up early + the obvious cat issue.  Add in that Casper is diabetic and has to be kept on an insulin schedule that fits with our life.  I'm asleep usually by 10:30pm  up at 5:30 am.  If I were able to sleep until 6:30 it would be incredible.  
i usually try to get to bed early (by 10pm), but that many times doesn't happen. 
  i get distracted with 'just one more thing' to get done.

how is your Casper doing, with the diabetes?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I need and get about 9 hours of sleep. Like Artiemom, if I get less for a few days, I end up taking a nap, feel awful when I wake up, and waste the rest of the day. 

I've always needed that much sleep, even in high school and my early 20s. It was a struggle then to get enough sleep and half the time I felt like a zombie. I'm retired now, so I indulge myself. When I was working, I went to bed at 9 and got up at 6.
ahhh, 9 hours of sleep!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i usually try to get to bed early (by 10pm), but that many times doesn't happen.  :shame:   i get distracted with 'just one more thing' to get done.

how is your Casper doing, with the diabetes?
He's doing really well, thanks for asking. He's stabilized at 3 units, twice daily. Appetite and energy level is SO much better. Even his bouts of barfing have diminished dramatically. We found him on top of the cat tree twice in the past couple of weeks! He's NEVER used it before :clap:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

7 would be good I guess but during the week, I usually get around 4. I rarely go to bed before 3:00 AM and I have to be up no later than 7. I'm a night person. The middle of the night is the greatest. The world is dark and quiet. The moonlight is soft and inviting. Daytime is horrible. There is a giant fireball in the sky that wants to burn my delicate fair skin and tries to blind me. Ever hear of someone getting moon poisoning? No. Sun poisoning? Yup. Moonburn? No. Sunburn? All the time. Everything is better at night- including breakfast.
i so agree!!! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

7 used to be ideal. I'm not sure anymore.  I can't function on 4-5 like I used to.  Sometimes I find myself out for 9 hours when I don't get woken up by kids and responsibilities. 
yup, i can't function on 4 or 5 hours sleep either anymore.  
    for me, i think it's part of aging. well, that and some 'heavier' things to deal with/have on my mind.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I try to get 7 hours every night, and basically stay in bed that long, but I sleep very hard those first 4 hours or so and then lay there and wake frequently until I get up. I have ALWAYS been an early morning person, when I had a job in nursing in the last city we lived in, my shift started at 5 AM, so I got up at 3:30 AM. All these people that say they stay up so late to get the 'peace and quiet' of late night would get the same thing in the early morning hours.(I guess it could be figured as REALLY late night!) In the summer it is the only way to go if you have any yard/garden work at all, the mornings are so quiet and cool, I was always out by 6:30 AM to be in by noon. There are drawbacks of course, I get to bed EARLY, by 9 o'clock and get up at 4. I figure I get the best of both worlds, the quiet, peaceful nighttime and the glorious sunrise and cooler early mornings!
i agree!
  and when i consider switching to staying up at night and sleeping during the day, i'm actually meaning sleeping from about 1pm or 2pm until about 10pm or 11pm (allowing for the hour i'd be up giving my cats their 'middle of sleep time' snack), then being up from 10/11pm through the night and until 1/2pm the next day. that way i'd have the quiet of the overnight as well as the same in the early morning hours, and be able to get some things done that require i do them when other people/businesses are up/open.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I worked a seven-day, rotating shift (going backward) for 18 years. I didn't really mind third shift all that much. I had to be to work by 11 pm and worked til 7 am. By 5:00, most people's butts were dragging. Me? I was bouncing around, having a great time.  The worst part of third was having to get ready for work around the time my family was getting ready to go to bed. That really bothered me. Oh, and the fact that people thought that if I got off work at 7 am, I was in bed and sound asleep by 7:01!  It doesn't work that way! I'd get off work at 7:00, stop at my parents' house for coffee and stay there a couple of hours, helping mom with whatever she needed done. Went home and did a bit of housework. I didn't really get to bed until noon most days. Got back up at 4:00 and made dinner. And then studied for whatever class I was taking over at college until it was time to get ready to go back into work. I pretty much lived on about 4 hours sleep a day when I was on third shift. I learned to disconnect the phone and not answer the door. I still loved third shift best.

OTOH, come time to work the day shift and it was horrid for me. Had to be to work by 7 am and got off at 3 pm. By 10:00 am, my butt was dragging and it was all I could do to stay awake.

I don't think I could work that way anymore; I'm too old now and most of the time, I'm pretty much awake between 3:30 and 5:00 in the morning anyway.
i worked the 'graveyard shift' for quite a few years -- 11pm to 7am. i worked night audit in hotels, and during those hours we sure did get a lot of crazy/unusual situations with people. like the time on New Years Eve, when a load of inebriated guests overfilled the capacity of an elevator and the fire department had to come get them out of it. the guests then made a b-line to the front desk and let loose on me like a 'blast furnace'. i'd been trained in how to handle these kind of situations, ie not to interrupt them, just let them 'get it all out'.

i always preferred to work night shift.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's doing really well, thanks for asking. He's stabilized at 3 units, twice daily. Appetite and energy level is SO much better. Even his bouts of barfing have diminished dramatically. We found him on top of the cat tree twice in the past couple of weeks! He's NEVER used it before
i'm so glad to hear that your boy is doing so well!