Question of the Day: Sunday, October 16

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am cooking only for myself now. I eat a few prepackaged meals but prefer my own cooking so I do a lot of make ahead and freeze dinners. I also portion sizes all my meats and vacuum seal them so that I can thaw a steak or piece of chicken for one.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It's just Rick and me and I'm the cook in the family. Cooking is the east part for me; it's trying to figure out what to make for dinner that's difficult! I have 1,000 cookbooks; you would think it wouldn't be a problem, but it is. And I get frustrated. Fortunately, Rick will eat almost anything that I make. But when I ask him what he'd like for dinner, I get "Oh, whatever you want to make is fine." Sometimes I'll tell him to go down to the freezers and bring something up and I'll make it. Sometimes it works; sometimes we get pizza. Sometimes I'll say, "OK, dear, chicken or pork chops?" And he'll choose. Left up to him, I swear we would eat mac and cheese, spaghetti, or sloppy joes. With tuna and noodles for a change. And I'm serious. Like I said, I get frustrated.

When I was working, I did menus at least a week ahead of time. And then got the coupons ready, checked the grocery sales, and away we went. That worked out fairly well. I could get something out of the freezer a day ahead of time (Monday for Tuesday, Tuesday for Wednesday, etc.). I knew what we were having and could come home and start prepping. Not a problem.

Now? Well, I don't know what's wrong. I'm not expecting a gourmet meal or anything like that, but I do enjoy cooking. I just don't know what to make!

As for leftovers, we don't have a problem with them. If you have a microwave, it's perfect for your leftover lumps!

I'm not much help gilmargl gilmargl

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's just Rick and me and I'm the cook in the family. Cooking is the east part for me; it's trying to figure out what to make for dinner that's difficult! I have 1,000 cookbooks; you would think it wouldn't be a problem, but it is. And I get frustrated. Fortunately, Rick will eat almost anything that I make. But when I ask him what he'd like for dinner, I get "Oh, whatever you want to make is fine." Sometimes I'll tell him to go down to the freezers and bring something up and I'll make it. Sometimes it works; sometimes we get pizza. Sometimes I'll say, "OK, dear, chicken or pork chops?" And he'll choose. Left up to him, I swear we would eat mac and cheese, spaghetti, or sloppy joes. With tuna and noodles for a change. And I'm serious. Like I said, I get frustrated.

When I was working, I did menus at least a week ahead of time. And then got the coupons ready, checked the grocery sales, and away we went. That worked out fairly well. I could get something out of the freezer a day ahead of time (Monday for Tuesday, Tuesday for Wednesday, etc.). I knew what we were having and could come home and start prepping. Not a problem.

Now? Well, I don't know what's wrong. I'm not expecting a gourmet meal or anything like that, but I do enjoy cooking. I just don't know what to make!

As for leftovers, we don't have a problem with them. If you have a microwave, it's perfect for your leftover lumps!

I'm not much help gilmargl gilmargl
[/QUOTE]

I think we were separated at birth. I used to be so ambitious about meal planning, grocery list prep, cleaning my fridge and cabinets out before I made the trip, and keeping coupons on hand. Now it's pretty much go in and buy some stuff. Weather permitting, I'd go once a week, but most of the time twice a week for fresh stuff. Now, it's every 2, sometimes 3 weeks. And like you, I get all this great food but never really know what I want to do with it. I like my favorites but sometimes I get a little tired of them, but then I think if I try something new, what if I absolutely hate it?