Question of the Day: Sunday, October 16

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I'm late - again!

I need your help - I have a food and cooking problem!
Growing up, I was often in charge of breakfast, the light evening meal and, less often, the main meal at weekends. I had no choice about what food to prepare - there were 8 of us in a very small council house, with a tiny fridge (rented for 2s 6d (half-a-crown) per week from the local council!) I can remember what that cost, but the rent for the house? Well, I was surprised when it went up to £4 per week.

So the menu depended on what was in the fridge, what tins were in the larder, how much bread, milk, eggs and cheese were available. When I left home and started cooking, it was what my boyfriend (future husband) wanted to eat (quantity was more important than quality) and this continued for some decades - always trying to cook to please the family and visitors - everyone else except myself. I first started to lose interest in cooking when my partner couldn't care less what he ate - so long as food was punctual - and he never remembered what he had just eaten. That really upset me! Why bother cooking!

But now, I am cooking for one - myself - and I am at a complete loss. Perhaps I am just too fussy - I do sometimes cook for 2 and heat up the second portion a day later but I hate having solid lumps of frozen spaghetti sauce or gulash in the freezer waiting for me to get the urge to reheat and eat! I prefer opening a tin of tuna (to share with the cats), use eggs or cut up some cheese and make a simple pasta or gnocchi dish with fresh tomatoes, rocket, basil or spinach. But I only shop for fresh food once a week and am unfortunately discarding more than I am eating. I am also losing weight - and am already underweight!

Believe it or not - I am not a fussy eater - just a fussy cook! I'll prepare almost anything if someone makes the decision and if someone does the work I will even eat snales or frogs' legs! (Though I'd rather not!!) :lol:

So, my question: do you do the cooking and choose what you eat or does somebody else have more say in the matter?
Could you cook for just yourself or do you need someone to share? Perhaps you can't even understand my problem and I am simply going senile.
At present, I am using my slow cooker to feed myself, my daughter and son-in-law just one evening a week - but the lumps of frozen leftovers are accumulating! 😥

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I now just feed myself. When it was my ex and kids I would cook what they wanted. Now sometimes I will cook a larger meal on Sunday and eat leftovers the next three days. I don't mind eating the same thing four days in a row. Sometimes I don't cook on Sunday, I didn't today. Then it's things like tuna salad sandwiches, grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, and salad out of a bag with grape tomatoes. For me now eating is much more a necessity type thing rather than something that I enjoy. I don't have the issue with not weighing enough so this is probably actually a healthier attitude about food for me.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's just me and Ruby, so I have to make my own meals. Most of my recipes make several servings, so I end up freezing leftovers. But I agree it can get overwhelming if you get too much in the freezer, and don't thaw and eat the leftovers often enough.

Perhaps you should look into some of the "cooking for one" websites.
Cooking for One Recipes
Cooking For One Recipes Archives

I'm vegetarian, but here are some of my quick single serving meals: Some are healthier than others. ;)

pasta and jarred marinara sauce (the sauce lasts a few weeks in the fridge). I usually make enough for 2 meals, so 2nd day it's just a matter of warming up in the microwave. You can have a roll, slice of garlic bread, etc. with it.

homemade veggie burgers - they can be microwaved in a minute or less. And you can keep the buns in the freezer, and just take out a few hours before you need them, or even thaw by toasting a bit in the toaster oven

egg salad sandwiches - I'll make enough for 2 days, so 2nd day's meal is ready when I want it

fried egg sandwiches with cheese - either on bread, toast or a hamburger bun

french toast - topped with berries and maple syrup

breakfast for dinner - eggs and toast, and maybe hash browns, and berries

homemade naan pizzas - I buy the naan bread, pizza sauce, cheese and veggies, make 4 pizzas and freeze. I saute the veggies before putting on the naan bread, then put in the toaster oven long enough to melt the cheese. Then any I don't eat, I freeze, and then reheat in the toaster oven for a quick meal.

grilled or toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches

sometimes I'll just have some mixed nuts, cheese and sliced apple, if I want a light meal

a smoothie with yogurt, berries and either soymilk or juice (you can pack a lot of calories in a smoothie, if gaining weight is a goal)

a muffin (or 2 depending on the size) and yogurt and berries

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not only the cook, I do the meal planning, shopping and washing up too. Menu planning - I run the day's meal plan past Himself. Mostly he says "fine," sometimes no. But we've been married so long I have a good take on what will sound good.

Frozen lumps . . . Cook single serving portions. Cook something planning for left overs that are "adaptable" into a different meal, such as meatloaf turned into casserole or shepherd's pie. Pot roast where leftovers become hash. (Though I remember my mother complaining that is was not possible to make a pot roast with a small piece of meat.)

Chicken - roast chicken is lovely but too much even for two people. Fortunately it is available as breasts, with a choice of complete or skinless / boneless, chicken tenders (the contra fillet from the underside of the breast), thighs, drumsticks, wings.

When I was prepping for my knee surgery back in July I found some plastic freezer containers with snap on lid that were divided into two compartments, smaller and larger. I put spaghetti sauce in the smaller one, cooked pasta tossed with a smidge of olive oil in the larger one, some shredded cheese (about a Tablespoon's worth) in a small plastic bag on top before fastening the lid. And into the freezer for retrieval when I was unable to stand at the stove.

Winter vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, parsnips, cabbage last longer than a week.Beets - fresh are good but canned are also good. Frozen peas are very good quality.

What do you like to eat, given the choice, gilmargl gilmargl

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also keep some frozen fruit, Greek yogurt and almond milk around for smoothies. That is usually what I have for breakfast.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am in charge of the kitchen gf cant cook unless its got instructions on the package :lol: it would be that way regardless of my being disabled unable to work.i love to cook and its always fun to have test subject to share the misery when those make it up as i go along meals turn out really badly.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I plan the meals but always double check with DH. I do most but not all of the cooking if DH is just heating something up or making a sandwich. Since I'm also vegetarian I try to make a dinner we can both eat but don't mind cooking separately for DH.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Premade salads, precooked meats, microwave dinners. Even if they're more expensive it's usually cheaper than buying a lot and throwing it all out. And there are some really nice microwave dinners available now.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I cook for me and me alone, only occasionally for Mom too. The leftover situation can make me get creative, but on the other hand it's nice because I have no one to please but myself. I have learned over the years that if I make a big meal for myself, I eat things that won't keep (salad, etc.) first, so any leftovers I have are things that re-heat well. My strong preference is making things from scratch, but life doesn't always cooperate. My Mom has made TV dinners before, she'll cook up a huge batch of food, then portion it all out in freezer safe portion plates, so essentially we have TV dinners that are home made.
I will wash ingredients and pre-make salads for the week sometimes. I can line the containers or jars with a paper towel to absorb extra moisture and make 3-4 and when it's time to eat I just add dressing. I use the same wash and chop/prep method for any veggies I want to use in the skillet. Stored well, they can last in the fridge for a week or so. I think it's easier to eat better if I can pre-prep and take the daily drudgery out of washing, chopping, etc. There are a ton of frozen vegetables in the freezer sections that are high quality and go well with everything, so that's my back up.
And if I don't do that, frozen pizza works!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm married, but he works long, crazy hours...always has, so early on, he told me not to cook dinner for him, as he'd get home at midnight. He loves to cook, and had chef training, and worked as such. I like to cook for other people, but not myself. I'm so busy at home, I live on quick quesadillas, mostly just cheese, but sometimes I fry up some pre-sliced peppers and onions (frozen), and add them. I wouldn't recommend the "Cornsadilla" I made last week. It tasted o.k., but the after-effects...I also eat of lot of peanut butter (no jelly) sandwiches on whole-grain bread. I often slow-cook meals, portion them out, and freeze them, such as beef stew and chili. DH is welcome to eat them, too. We eat out a lot, so I can get up to three meals out of an entree. I microwave frozen bread rolls for snacks. I just realized that I eat an appalling diet!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never learned to cook from scratch; two years of home eco classes didn’t stick at all. I hate having to do any cooking. It’s stressful, because if it comes out indelible there’s time and effort and money wasted and still nothing to eat, and frankly it feels like too much effort given what happens to food after you eat it. I have only done any sort since my mother had a stroke and can’t do it. Mercifully we now live in a retirement village where one cooked meal is provided per day. They vary between very tasty and dire, depending on the cook often enough (we have had several cooks in the past few months) and since we reheat them in the microwave they’re never as good as if we had them at lunchtime when they’re served, especially when it’s fish and chips. But even with all those downsides it’s still FAR better than having to do the cooking myself. Healthier and cheaper, too, I don’t have to buy many groceries.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't cook anymore. It's my husband's job to feed me now. LOL.

Back then I cooked a lot for my son when he was a kid, but now he cooks way much better than me. So I stay out of the kitchen as much as possible, here abroad and in my home country.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do 90% of the cooking, with my husband cutting up onions (they make me cry) and raw meats. About 5years ago, I realized we were in a food rut and bought a couple of cook books to expand our horizons. I also meal plan for the week and do the majority of the cooking on Sunday. We use a lot of frozen vegetables instead of fresh, healthy food is so expensive in the U.S.. I've found using different spices can really transform humble leftovers. And using spices does not make food too hot to eat if you use the right ones! If you don't like heat, don't use chili powder, red pepper, or curry powder. Use things like basil, oregano,sage, rosemary, thyme, cumin, cardamom, fennel, coriander if it doesn't taste like soap to you. If you buy chicken, you can freeze it in single portions and thaw out just one piece, there are a lot of chicken dishes out there.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do the cooking, but I despise it. Husband likes food, I don't, but he refuses to learn how to do for himself. Meals are less elaborate as I get older and I make him tell me what he wants (usually pasta). For myself, I'm happy with a peanut butter sandwich or toast. Yesterday I nuked a baked potato for myself.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do most of the cooking but its not the fun it uses to be. It seems like “everything” has too much of “something.” Nothing is healthy enough depending on who you talk to. My dentist and doctors advise even contradict each other. DH was trying to determine what foods trigger migraines and things for him and just changing what he would eat too often. I understood his problem but just when I’d think I had a routine menu going he’d change it. At the end of the day; nothing makes me feel less appreciated than another diet change after I didn’t feel like cooking anyway. So I got frustrated between all that and not getting a break between homeschooling and cooking. DS is often finishing work and being his most productive in the evening so I’m trying to multitask like a pingpong ball. I have a fairly healthy routine now and if DH doesn’t want a particular thing he will eat leftover chicken that I try to keep around for him. I just let it go. I grew up on leftovers and I love them. No one complains about them here and sometimes they get argued over. :rolleyes2: DS can be a little picky but I don’t cater to it much. You need to be able to eat what someone puts in front of you and not every meal is meant to be your favorite or current craving.

When I had more time I used to experiment more and enjoy it. Its just not that season in life right now. Both my kids enjoy cooking and baking. DD is getting old enough to do more unsupervised. Eventually I want them to be responsible for a full meal once a week or every other week. Within reason they will get to plan the menu. Maybe I can set a budget too. 🤔 I think its a good experience to have.