Question Of The Day, Sunday, November 26, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am one of the people who like Cilantro in moderation. I have read that there is a genetic thing involved with how people taste Cilantro. Some people think it tastes like soap others don't get that at all, it's a genetic thing.
that's interesting! :agree: i like cilantro, in moderation like you do. i don't get the soapy taste, so i guess i'm lucky! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite spice is cumin! I cook a lot of legume-based dishes, and cumin really brings out that earthy flavor, and I just love the way it smells. Garlic and onions are in almost everything I cook, too.

As for soda, orange is actually my favorite flavor, but since it's not one of the popular flavors, I usually just settle for a diet Pepsi.
ahhh, cumin!!! :clap: and garlic and onions too! very nice!!

yes!! orange soda!! :cloud9: a really wonderful flavor! :yummy:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a garlic girl through and through. If you don't like garlic, don't even bother to come to my house. The same goes for onion. Jalapeno peppers get a lot of use around here, too, as do all the Tex-Mex seasonings.

The smells of vanilla and cinnamon are intoxicating to me. Put them together and I'm a cheap drunk. I love Vietnamese cinnamon and also Chinese cinnamon. I don't like the hot cinnamon candies. I don't have too many occasions to use it, but freshly grated nutmeg makes my nose smile. I love peppermint and spearmint, too, but absolutely not wintergreen.

Basil, ahhhh, basil. It makes me giddy when I pick it fresh. I dread the winter when my plants finally die. I have two still going strong right now and I'm enjoying every leaf.

Yes, fresh herbs are a special gift. Harvey drowned quite a few, but the others are rebounding. Sage, marjoram, rosemary, Mexican mint marigold (Texas tarragon), mints, garlic chives, parsley, oregano, catnip,and a few others. I'm so spoiled!
garlic, onions, and jalapenos are some of your favorites!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!!

mmmm, the smells of vanilla and cinnamon! and fresh basil!! :cloud9:

your fresh grown herbs sound truly heavenly! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love it and put ceylon cinnamon in my oatmeal every single morning.

My favorite spices are the 2 C's - ceylon cinnamon and cardamom. i love them both! :thumbsup:
ceylon cinnamon and cardamom are your favorite spices!!! :cloud9: most excellent!! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cinnamon every thing! I choose cinnamon rolls, cinnamon crisps, and cinnamon bread over any other kinds of pastries. I recently bought cinnamon muffins and I was in heaven! I'm going to try the cinnamon when making coffee.
Another favorite is orange cranberry cookies and muffins.

I love orange slices in iced tea, sometimes instead of lemon, but always the fresh fruit. No bottled, concentrated juices.

I love veggies and cooking with garlic and onions. I make fried cabbage, and zucchini with garlic and onions. I buy Steam in the Bag cauliflower seasoned with herbs and garlic. So easy to make in the microwave for a quick dinner side.
ahhh, cinnamon!!! :clap: truly an awesome spice!! :agree: i wonder, do you keep some cinnamon sugar mixed up, on hand? i ask because i do. sometimes i just crave some toast with butter, and cinnamon-sugar sprinkled over it -- like i had when i was a kid. :yummy:

oh wow! i never have thought about adding orange slices in iced tea, instead of lemon. :think: i'm sure i'd like that much better than the lemon. :D

and you love cooking with garlic and onions too!! :hearthrob: great!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was visiting my youngest brother once and had my own personal stash of Vege-Sal along. At that time his wife was on a diet that restricted salt, and she saw me using Vege-Sal instead of plain salt (and enjoying it) and asked wistfully whether it was actually a salt substitute that tasted good. I was very sorry to have to disappoint her.

In too large quantities nutmeg can be hallucinogenic, which is why I keep my dose small, though I suspect that "too large" in this instance is a synonym for "truly massive." Have you ever read the Sector General science fiction novels, by James White? (Sector General - Wikipedia) In one of them (The Galactic Gourmet) a new chef is hired at the hospital, from an alien species, and shortly afterward all of the human staff start having hallucinations. It turns out the new chef had seen how the humans enjoyed nutmeg and had begun putting it in everything he made for them.

Margret
maybe Vege-Sal vs plain salt, is similar to chocolate vs carob...? by that i mean that it works out better, tastes better if you like the 'substitute' on it's own -- rather than thinking of it as the substitute for what we really want. i know it's that way with me, that i love carob on it's own, so i don't think of it as a substitute for chocolate. :dunno:

oh my!!! :eek: i didn't know that nutmeg in very large quantities can be hallucinogenic. i've never read the Sector General science fiction novels, but thank you for mentioning them! :D i'll take a look and likely will start reading them -- of course, when i actually can find time to enjoy reading.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ahhh, cinnamon!!! :clap: truly an awesome spice!! :agree: i wonder, do you keep some cinnamon sugar mixed up, on hand? i ask because i do. sometimes i just crave some toast with butter, and cinnamon-sugar sprinkled over it -- like i had when i was a kid. :yummy:

oh wow! i never have thought about adding orange slices in iced tea, instead of lemon. :think: i'm sure i'd like that much better than the lemon. :D

I like sprinkling a mix of sugar and cinnamon on pancakes instead of syrup. So yummy with the butter! :yummy:

Cinnamon toast is the best!

Be glad that cilantro doesn't taste like soap to you. When it does, it ruins the taste of anything it touches. I can taste the smallest amount and it is AWFUL. Picking it out of something doesn't help. The taste is left behind. :sigh:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for reminding me of toast with cinnamon/sugar mix. I haven't had that in a long time. Will have to have some real soon!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like sprinkling a mix of sugar and cinnamon on pancakes instead of syrup. So yummy with the butter! :yummy:

Cinnamon toast is the best!

Be glad that cilantro doesn't taste like soap to you. When it does, it ruins the taste of anything it touches. I can taste the smallest amount and it is AWFUL. Picking it out of something doesn't help. The taste is left behind. :sigh:
hmmmm......pancakes with butter and cinnamon-sugar sprinkled on top! :yummy: now that sounds like it would taste really very good!! :agree: i wonder......if there might be a recipe somewhere for a cinnamon syrup for pancakes/waffles...?

i can only imagine how...horrid anything with cilantro must taste to those who get the soap taste from it. :gaah: yup, most times once something is added to foods it's in there permanently.

edited to add: i found what looks like it would be a good cinnamon syrup recipe (it's in with the pumpkin pancakes recipe) -- Pumpkin Pancakes with Cinnamon Syrup - Tastes Better From Scratch i think i'll have to try cinnamon syrup!

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
garlic pepper!!! :clap: very nice!!

i've never tried garlic pepper. :think: it does sound like it would be very good. :agree:
Whenever we are going to grill a steak, I puncture with the fork, sprinkle this stuff on both sides, leave in the refrigerator several hours, preferably all day. It is also good on chicken, pork chops, sprinkled in mashed potatoes, and more. Like I said, if it is good, garlic pepper makes it better.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever we are going to grill a steak, I puncture with the fork, sprinkle this stuff on both sides, leave in the refrigerator several hours, preferably all day. It is also good on chicken, pork chops, sprinkled in mashed potatoes, and more. Like I said, if it is good, garlic pepper makes it better.
hmmmm......i'll have to keep an eye out for garlic pepper. :agree: and thank you for sharing about things you use it for too!! :D