Question of the Day, Sunday, November 13, 2016

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! 

lately i've been thinking about sales. you know, sales at brick and mortar stores and sales at websites/online.

so for today's Question of the Day......

Do you shop the sales? and, Which stores and/or websites do you like to catch the sales?

i'll start!

i do shop sales sometimes, though it's pretty much only when i'm already planning on buying the item(s). lately, i've been planning to stock up a bit on all purpose flour and white granulated sugar during the holiday season -- when they're traditionally on sale. many things are either on sale or at their lowest prices during specific times of the year, and for those items i use on a regular basis i'll go ahead and do some stocking up and then properly store or preserve them, or buy the non-food items then.

i've also planned for and bought appliances during the sales for july 4th, or labor day, and etc.

i do most of my shopping online these days. i love the Honeyville and All Bulk Foods websites, and was fortunate to catch a sale on my favorite bread flour at Honeyville recently -- so bought two bags.
   i also check for things on sale or on clearance on my shopping list when shopping at walmart online. of course, i'm always happy when some of my cat's food is on sale at Chewy! 

......i'd say that mostly, i look around for the best price (while not sacrificing quality) as opposed to shopping sales.

other websites that i like are:  my spice sage dot com (where i buy my spices), amazon (many things can be bought here at very good prices), LL Bean (items bought online or in-store all have a lifetime guarantee), home depot (they'll ship for free many items, when you meet their minimum amount spent).

how about you?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't do any shopping anymore so I just give gift certificates to the kids in the family. When I shop online I usually just go to Amazon.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

good morning! 

lately i've been thinking about sales. you know, sales at brick and mortar stores and sales at websites/online.

so for today's Question of the Day......

Do you shop the sales? and, Which stores and/or websites do you like to catch the sales?

i'll start!

i do shop sales sometimes, though it's pretty much only when i'm already planning on buying the item(s). lately, i've been planning to stock up a bit on all purpose flour and white granulated sugar during the holiday season -- when they're traditionally on sale. many things are either on sale or at their lowest prices during specific times of the year, and for those items i use on a regular basis i'll go ahead and do some stocking up and then properly store or preserve them, or buy the non-food items then.

i've also planned for and bought appliances during the sales for july 4th, or labor day, and etc.

i do most of my shopping online these days. i love the Honeyville and All Bulk Foods websites, and was fortunate to catch a sale on my favorite bread flour at Honeyville recently -- so bought two bags.
   i also check for things on sale or on clearance on my shopping list when shopping at walmart online. of course, i'm always happy when some of my cat's food is on sale at Chewy! 

......i'd say that mostly, i look around for the best price (while not sacrificing quality) as opposed to shopping sales.

other websites that i like are:  my spice sage dot com (where i buy my spices), amazon (many things can be bought here at very good prices), LL Bean (items bought online or in-store all have a lifetime guarantee), home depot (they'll ship for free many items, when you meet their minimum amount spent).

how about you?
I don't do black Friday or anything like that. I get a lot of things using Amazon's subscribe and save. That keeps me out of Wal Mart (AKA the seventh circle of hell). I do all of my grocery shopping at Publix (Florida based grocery store chain) and they often have really good BOGO deals. I also shop with coupons whenever I find one for something I already use.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not a super shopper, I basically only buy something when I need it. A couple years ago I did go to a couple department stores at the mall, after Christmas, because the sales were insane, I scored!

The only other time I buy stuff is at the grocery store & pet store, pet store I try to get online so I don't have to drive anywhere

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I do sometimes. If I'm planning a shopping trip, then I will check any sales flyers from our local newspaper. 

Yes, Rick and I will do Black Friday and we will spend Thanksgiving night pouring over the flyers. Not so much for ourselves (although we do buy a few things for the house or whatever), but for the grands.

For clothing for me, I will check out JCP, Coldwater Creek, and Christopher and Banks stores. I will shop JCP online, too. I pretty much know my sizes for Christopher and Banks, so I could shop online there, if I needed to.

Groceries are always bought at our local Giant store as are pet supplies. If there's a really good sale at PetSmart, then we'll hit it, usually when we have one of their $10 coupons. One of my GFs in Florida was so excited because they're getting an Aldi's. We have one, but I hardly ever go there. I promised her I'd check it out....soon! 
 I do really enjoy going into grocery stores.

Online, I'll shop wherever I have to to get what the grands want. Our GD is really into American Girl, so we'll be shopping there online. Other than that, a lot of our money goes to Amazon. In fact, we'll probably redo Prime at the end of the year as it's been worth it for the shipping alone.

I know a lot of people love Kohl's, but I can never find anything or if I do, it's really expensive. I don't care for TJ Maxx at all. I like Target, but not for clothing.

I will not shop at WalMart.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Considering how tiny my budget is for groceries and such, I've become a pretty darned good shopper.  I have printed lists of items I regularly buy, how much they are at the two local stores, and at my favorite on line istes, and I search for sales and coupons on those items. 

I'd be hard put to pin down exact places, other than walmart and food lion, our local stores.  I do a LOT of browsing and searching online.

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I can't do any shopping anymore so I just give gift certificates to the kids in the family. When I shop online I usually just go to Amazon.
Me, too!  EXACTLY!  I detest shopping the older I get.  I go to Amazon when I need something and it gets delivered right to my front door.  I order my cat food from Chewy.com or The Petway and THAT get delivered right to my front door.  If I could reliably get all my groceries delivered I would.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Me, too!  EXACTLY!  I detest shopping the older I get.  I go to Amazon when I need something and it gets delivered right to my front door.  I order my cat food from Chewy.com or The Petway and THAT get delivered right to my front door.  If I could reliably get all my groceries delivered I would.
I like Christmas and grocery shopping but I detest clothes shopping. I always have. The older I get the more I things I order online. I have arthritis and it is hard for me to get around. The only time I worry about sales is when I check the grocery ads and you would not ever catch me out shopping on black Friday. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not a huge shopper.  I have never done the Black Friday thing.  The only sale that I regularly go to is the one that Bath and Body Works has after Christmas.  I stock up at that one and have enough to last for several months.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I always use coupons for grocery shopping especially on Wed. when it's double coupons at one of our chain stores, (Mariano's).  I do clothes shopping at the end of the season when it's on sale unless someone gives me a gift card in which case I will go to the store.  I like to try clothes on in person, see how they fit, etc. so I don't have the hassle of returning them later.  I used to go to malls when the kids were young but now that they are grown and on their own I rarely go anymore.  As for pet food and supplies we have several major chains nearby so I go to the store on a as needed basis.  Besides, I always like to see other people with their pets.

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy almost everything online at Amazon. Super Stop and Shop sends a few coupons each month pegged to my grocery spending. Occasionally I use one or two. I never look at coupons in flyers, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't do black Friday or anything like that. I get a lot of things using Amazon's subscribe and save. That keeps me out of Wal Mart (AKA the seventh circle of hell). I do all of my grocery shopping at Publix (Florida based grocery store chain) and they often have really good BOGO deals. I also shop with coupons whenever I find one for something I already use.
oh my! i wasn't even thinking about Black Friday, coming up soon.
  i also don't do Black Friday, either in-stores or online.

ahhh......Amazon's subscribe and save! 
  you know, i don't shop at walmart's brick and mortar stores any longer. i shop online and meet their minimum to get the free shipping, and my order gets delivered to my door. note that walmart ships buckets of cat litter too -- no extra shipping charge as long as you meet their free shipping minimum. the only time i go to the brick and mortar walmart store is if i've ordered something site-to-store, and i just pop in to pick it up.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not a super shopper, I basically only buy something when I need it. A couple years ago I did go to a couple department stores at the mall, after Christmas, because the sales were insane, I scored!

The only other time I buy stuff is at the grocery store & pet store, pet store I try to get online so I don't have to drive anywhere
yes! i buy my cats food online too, have it delivered to our door! 
   oooooo -- very big after Christmas sales! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do sometimes. If I'm planning a shopping trip, then I will check any sales flyers from our local newspaper. 

Yes, Rick and I will do Black Friday and we will spend Thanksgiving night pouring over the flyers. Not so much for ourselves (although we do buy a few things for the house or whatever), but for the grands.

For clothing for me, I will check out JCP, Coldwater Creek, and Christopher and Banks stores. I will shop JCP online, too. I pretty much know my sizes for Christopher and Banks, so I could shop online there, if I needed to.

Groceries are always bought at our local Giant store as are pet supplies. If there's a really good sale at PetSmart, then we'll hit it, usually when we have one of their $10 coupons. One of my GFs in Florida was so excited because they're getting an Aldi's. We have one, but I hardly ever go there. I promised her I'd check it out....soon! 
 I do really enjoy going into grocery stores.

Online, I'll shop wherever I have to to get what the grands want. Our GD is really into American Girl, so we'll be shopping there online. Other than that, a lot of our money goes to Amazon. In fact, we'll probably redo Prime at the end of the year as it's been worth it for the shipping alone.

I know a lot of people love Kohl's, but I can never find anything or if I do, it's really expensive. I don't care for TJ Maxx at all. I like Target, but not for clothing.

I will not shop at WalMart.
that sounds great, to be able to do clothes shopping online! 

ahhh, Aldi's! i shop there every other month, alternate between wegman's and aldi's. there are certain things i buy at aldi's, and other things i prefer to buy at wegman's.

American Girl! i once bought my mickey
and snick
each a handmade wood (fit the) American Girl doll bed, with hearts cut outs in the head and foot boards -- from a seller on ebay. i took a twin sized memory foam mattress pad and cut it into as many as i could make mattresses for their beds, then bought some basic pillow cases to pop over the foam mattresses. both cats absolutely adored those beds, and used them often.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Considering how tiny my budget is for groceries and such, I've become a pretty darned good shopper.  I have printed lists of items I regularly buy, how much they are at the two local stores, and at my favorite on line istes, and I search for sales and coupons on those items. 

I'd be hard put to pin down exact places, other than walmart and food lion, our local stores.  I do a LOT of browsing and searching online.
ahhh, you're very organized! 

...'browsing and searching online' -- excellent! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

amazon and chewy or The Petway, and delivered to your door! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am not a huge shopper.  I have never done the Black Friday thing.  The only sale that I regularly go to is the one that Bath and Body Works has after Christmas.  I stock up at that one and have enough to last for several months.
very nice! 
  i've heard about the Bath and Body Works sales, and that many people stock up at them.