Question Of The Day, Sunday, May 21, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an HE toploader, I think it's a Whirlpool but I'm not home to look ;). I didn't pick it out; it came with the house. I have to put it on soak for it to clean properly. I'm not sure if that's inherent to HE toploaders or if it's just this model. It doesn't have an agitator in the middle.

It's set on warm wash, cold rinse. I run it whenever I think it's full enough to run, no set time or day. If I want to take a shower or run the dishwasher, I set the timer so it'll run in a few hours, usually after I've gone to bed. My mom says I shouldn't do that, that it might break a water hose in the middle of the night or something, but so far. . .? LOL, someday she'll be right and she'll never let me forget it :tongue:.

I put a scoop of OxiClean and a Gain fling in the bottom of the washer, and throw all my dirty clothes in the washer as I use them. I don't sort anything. When it gets full enough I run the load. I probably do about 3 loads a week. I use unscented dryer sheets to help with the static. Bras are washed in a bra bag with everything else and hung to dry. Dryer heat really messes up bras. Other than that I don't sort anything out.
how interesting...now i'm wondering if my washer has a timer, to set it to run automatically. :think:

it sounds like we have the same approach to doing our laundry! :D and about 3 loads a week, nothing sorted out, and unscented dryer sheets to help with static!!! :thumbsup:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laundry gets done around here when when the hamper is full and/or we're running out of clean clothes. Our current top loading washer is a piece of you-know-what, and is almost always on the fritz. So doing laundry has become a major chore, and it's the last resort before having to consider joining a nudist colony. ;-)

Can you stop and start your washer whenever you need to, or is the cycle pretty much locked in once it starts? We got a GE a few years back because it was the only one we saw at the time without a zillion safety features that would allow us to do our laundry as we always had. For example, opening the lid to toss in a delicate item for a few swishes of the agitator, and then take it right back out, rinsing a load twice without having to go through two entire cycles, etc. Argh!
laundry done when the hamper is full and/or you're running out of clean clothes!! :clap:

i can 'pause' my front loader washer as needed, and as many times as needed. the washer door locks, but when the 'pause' button is pressed the door is unlocked. i've only needed to pause it once, when i added another item to be washed.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm procrastinating switching the laundry out at the moment. :lol:

I used to always do laundry on Monday's. Lately it's whenever I'm down to my last pair of undies. :rolleyes2:

I divide everything into lights and darks, I don't use fabric softener on the kid's clothing so that's 4 piles there. Towels are another pile. I might wash jeans or pinks/reds separate if things are newer but I always use a color catcher sheet with dark loads. We use All Free & Clear but I just got the version that has a lavender like scent to use with towels and bedding. I use Downy Free liquid fabric softener on everything but the kid's clothing.

I air dry most of my clothing and a lot of DH's. I keep a drying rack and extra plastic hangers in the shower in the kid's bathroom. I still cringe remembering the flying ants I'd find in my socks when Mom would dry them outside. :cringe: I dry things on the coolest setting possible too. I can't stand things shrinking. DH just cleaned our dryer exhaust line and changed the vent hose on on the back of the dryer this weekend. It wasn't as bad as I expected; but I'm glad keeping that clean is a job we can handle ourselves.

And with that; I'm going to get back to it!
your laundry is sorted!! :clap: and All Free & Clear and Downy liquid fabric softener! :D color catcher sheets......that's interesting! :think:

flying ants in socks! :eek:

hmmm......i'll have to read up online about cleaning my dryer exhaust line and vent hose!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My apartment complex has a small laundromat attached. I usually go at night during the warmer months, sometimes after midnight. Just the basics. I use pods which include fabric softener. I don't buy whites, so I don't have to bleach, although I occasionally use a brightener.
very nice that your apartment complex has a small laundromat attached, and that you can do your laundry during the night!!! :thumbsup:

pods which include fabric softener! :think: i didn't know they made those!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have those washer/dryer combos in Japan and Europe. I wonder why they don't have them here in the US! I bet it would cost a fortune if you tried to find one.
the cynic in me thinks it's because we'd then only need to buy one machine instead of two (washer, and dryer).

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No particular day. I use Tide pods, Downy liquid fabric softener and Snuggle scent boosters. Usually 2 loads a week.
ahhh, most excellent!!! :clap:

and how is your little Sophie doing this summer? has she continued in her efforts to achieve entry into your DD's bedroom?