Question of the Day: Sunday, May 1

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for posting so late - I was working - the final day of my training to be accepted as a voluntary helper with the local hospice movement. This supports people wishing to die in their own homes and not in a hospital.
It was a very interesting day but hard work and I am exhausted.

Today is also May Day or International Workers' Day. Here in Germany there are demonstrations organised by Trade Unions campaigning for higher wages and better conditions for the workers.

I have only once taken part in a demonstration and it was on May Day, a few years ago before Corona, when a group of us from the animal protection charity demonstrated against the conditions for animals and foreign labourers in slaughterhouses. It was an interesting experience and we received a lot of support along the route.

Have you ever taken part in a demonstration? What were you demonstrating for or against and did you enjoy it?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't taken part of a demonstration, but I do wish I was the type of person who would or could willingly do it, but I hate crowds and get overwhelmed easily. I've definitely wanted to join the protests in my area for Black Lives Matter.
I belong to a union and my dad was a union organizer so unions run in my blood, and while I haven't had to strike, I think that is one thing I would actually actively support and be on the frontlines.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've taken part in a Black Lives Matter and Free Palestine online demonstration, and an Extinction Rebellion physical real life demonstration.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I never have. I've boycotted products before, that's about it. I don't eat meat.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a reminder to all members that this is the Cat Lounge and not the In My Opinion forum and this is not the place for debate.

No, I have never taken part in a demonstration.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have volunteered for different non-profit organizations over the years and was very involved in one particular one that supports children's health issues but I've never taken part in a demonstration.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No demonstrations. I have done volunteer work and door to door political things but no demonstrations.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've participated in many over the years but I've come to agree with you to some extent, N NY cat man --I think they make those of us participating feel like we're doing something when really there are more effective ways to work for change.

Having said that, there's also something to be said about being around like-minded people that lifts the spirits and reminds us that we aren't working for a cause all on our own.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did the women's march in January 2017. There were a lot of people, so I was just a number, but it was cool.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've participated in many over the years but I've come to agree with you to some extent, N NY cat man --I think they make those of us participating feel like we're doing something when really there are more effective ways to work for change.

Having said that, there's also something to be said about being around like-minded people that lifts the spirits and reminds us that we aren't working for a cause all on our own.
I believe that Shakespeare got it right in Macbeth- "Sound and fury, signifying nothing."

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh heavens yes.. :lol: Back in the day.
I remember we used to have a premier in Queensland who prohibited movement in public places of more than three people abreast.(ie, no gatherings or marches). It was absolutely unheard of in Australia. We decided to do 'short and sweet' marches where we would go into the public toilets and put on all our gear, get our banners out etc, then race out, march a couple of blocks down the street and then disappear into a shopping centre and change/put everything in bags and walk away. It was great fun and we got our point across. :)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, never...Just not my thing. Lots of people, yelling and crowding close to me...I'd be huddled in the fetal position rocking back and forth in no time.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I worked at an International Paper plant during the 80s, during the time when they were busting unions. We managed to keep our union local together, but just barely. When they started working on the Jay, Maine plant, several of us went to Jay to help out any way we could. And that included demonstrations, speeches, etc. We went up twice to help out. I never gave a speech to that many people before. We also took part in demonstrations in other IP areas. You do what you have to do. I've never regretted it.