Question of the Day: Sunday, March 5

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Morning to all Cat Lovers!

Last night I read a short book "The Year of the Cat", written by a young woman in London during lockdown. It described her thoughts on many topics including PTDS, fear of becoming or never becoming pregnant, mothers, lockdown, disability, violence at the hands of men, life in Paris, care work, and even witchcraft as well as cats. During her twenties, the idea of turning into a crazy cat lady was a hilarious joke, shared with her young, single girlfriends. But, in lockdown, her biological clock ticking away, it became a more serious possibility.

So now to our own experiences with (crazy) cat ladies!
Seventy years ago, I lived in a London suburb (social housing) and it wasn't until my mother picked up a kitten from a cattery that we found out about the Cat Lady, living a block away. My parents didn't know much about cats and expected the kitten to spend nights outdoors so it wasn't long before the kitten went missing and found itself in the arms of the Cat Lady. We children were sent to pick up the kitten and got scolded and lectured about the need to take the cat to be neutered. She lent us a cat basket and we set off on the bus with the cat but landed at the wrong vet who didn't do neutering for a small donation. The Cat Lady scolded us again but a week later we borrowed her cat basket and took the bus in the opposite direction and the cat was neutered for 5 shillings.

This Cat Lady was certainly not crazy - she must have had a heart of gold trying to teach scruffy children, too young to take full responsibility for a pet, how to care for a cat. She no doubt owned a cat or 2 but was not a hoarder. I would have loved to have got to know her better but I was much too young to think about if at the time.

Have you met a (Crazy) Cat Lady or Gentleman, or are you one yourself? Are you in danger of becoming one? Or are you hoping to become one?

catwoman.jpg

I have 4 cats and volunteer for a cat shelter but wouldn't call myself a Cat Lady.​

PS By the way, the book I read was "The Year of the Cat: A Love Story" by Rhiannon Lucy Cosslett, see Goodreads

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like an interesting book, gilmargl gilmargl

I always said that a true Crazy Cat Lady (or Crazy Cat Gentleman, as the case may be) has one more cat than I will ever have. So when I had 6 cats, a CCL or CCG had seven; when I had 8 cats, a CCL or CCG had nine. And so on.

Not even close to being a Crazy Cat Lady here. Unfortunately.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess it depends on what you consider a 'crazy cat lady'. To me that would be someone with far too many cats to care for, a hoarder. By that definition I am not a crazy cat lady nor do I ever want to be. Some people consider anyone who loves, cares for and cares about cats a 'crazy cat person'. By that definition I am a 'crazy cat lady' and wear the title proudly.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I consider a crazy cat lady to be anyone who obsessed with their cats. Someone who puts everything else on hold because of the cats. I am certainly not one. As much as I love Boone and Gracie, they are not my entire existence. I want to take the best care of them possible but they aren't the boss in this house.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People joke that I'm a Crazy Cat Lady, but I really don't care...There are worse things. :p Those who say that I'm a CCL are saying so jokingly though....I think. :think: :lol: They know that I simply love cats, they say that any cat that ends up in my care are the luckiest ones.
I do have the heart of a CCL, my sanity is the only thing that is really keeping me from becoming one. TBH, with my OCD and other anxiety traits, I could become a hoarder. I've also noticed that I'm way more affected when I see a cat needing a home than I used to be, I want to "save them all". If I could afford it I would house as many cats that could fit in my home. I've always said that if I ever won the lottery, I would buy acreage and build a rescue / shelter.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you met a (Crazy) Cat Lady or Gentleman, or are you one yourself? Are you in danger of becoming one? Or are you hoping to become one?
Sure, I consider myself one, even though I only have 2 cats. They are almost my whole world. I know a few other crazy cat ladies on this site and on Facebook. Everything is about our cats.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The most cats we ever had at once were four. :lovecat2::lovecat2::lovecat2::lovecat2: I'm sure our neighbors who were not fond of cats thought that qualified as a Crazy Cat Lady. The term CCL fits different descriptions. Even though we only have one cat at present we have made him the center of our world. We are religious about taking him to the vet and doing whatever is medically necessary to keep him healthy which sometimes has exceeded our budget. We have searched many pet stores to find a wet food that he will eat and enjoy. We lavish him with toys but most of all our affection. :lovecat:So if that qualifies as a CCL than yes I am one and damn proud of it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not consider either Michele or myself to be in the CCL/CCG camp, even though we have the five cats at present, although our neighbors might beg to differ. We did, however, know a local that definitely fit that category. She operated a quasi-rescue, but in reality she was a hoarder. Eventually, she was shut down for housing code violations and non-payment of property taxes.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think either of us are in the CCL/CCG category either. We sure love them, but it's not like our home is reflective of that love. We have two, and I don't ever see us realistically having more than that. We keep it in control LOL

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say I'm a crazy cat lady because of how much I love my cats and how much I love cats in general, but I could definitely become an even more intense cat lady. One thing I regret not doing was when I had to rebuild my wardrobe after I lost a lot of weight is that I didn't have a cat on every piece of clothing, like Laverne with her Ls in Laverne and Shirley.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
:petcat:~ I never intended to have 9 cats ! It all happened by accident ...
Now I am "The Cat Man" . I have always been crazy. At this point it no longer matters ...
People joke that I'm a Crazy Cat Lady, but I really don't care...There are worse things.
~ This is true ... 👍

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t consider myself knowledgeable enough about cat health to qualify, and while I’ve had five cats, now I won’t be able to have more than two. They’ve never been a substitute for husband or children, much less something for a frustrated spinster (the other part of that trope). I never wanted marriage or children, no way. I certainly prefer cats and care more about their welfare than humans’.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Crazy Cat Lady (2022) - IMDb

I think that the term used to mean the eccentric hoarder, a persona that certainly does exist, but now I think that it is a much more fondly used term for someone who loves cats. Being a cat lady, or gentleman, is fine as long as the cats can be cared for properly. I think that the crazy part only comes in when someone loses focus.

I consider myself to be a cat lady, a dog lady even though I don't have one presently, and an animal lady in general. Ironically, one neighbor calls me "the bird lady" as I have fed crows for years.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t consider myself knowledgeable enough about cat health to qualify, and while I’ve had five cats, now I won’t be able to have more than two. They’ve never been a substitute for husband or children, much less something for a frustrated spinster (the other part of that trope). I never wanted marriage or children, no way. I certainly prefer cats and care more about their welfare than humans’.
main-qimg-2594c083648a573ccecebd0a4439d922.png

" The more people I meet — the more I like my cat ..."
I think that the term used to mean the eccentric hoarder, a persona that certainly does exist, but now I think that it is a much more fondly used term for someone who loves cats. Being a cat lady, or gentleman, is fine as long as the cats can be cared for properly. I think that the crazy part only comes in when someone loses focus ...
~ I agree 👍

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree w/ Fiona’s mom: I think if you have a lot of cats, and the place is an unsanitary mess, and the cats are suffering from it, that’s when it’s crazy. (Not sure how appropriate it is to call someone crazy, in that situation). There has always only ever been one cat in the household, but have great respect for those that can take care of so many, and keep their own lives on a steady keel.