Question of the Day, Sunday, June 12, 2016

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dirty Dancing 
 I think I've seen it now about 30 times. And will still watch it when I know it's on tv. I don't know, I just love everything about that movie and I love the music. I keep saying I should buy the soundtrack, because, yeah, I'd listen to it. Rick keeps threatening to buy it for me every year for Christmas, but I have yet to see it.

The last time it was on (about a month or so ago), Rick came back to bed, saw that it was on, looked at me, and said, "Really, dear?" And I said, "Yes! Really!"
ahhh, yes! Dirty Dancing...
   there were a few years where i'd watch that movie any time it aired.

and that brings to my mind the movie, Ferris Bueller's Day Off -- in which Jennifer Grey also starred. i think this movie is one of my 'guilty pleasures' 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like older movies at all. It's hard to say exactly why, of course it depends on the movie too. I find the casual racism, classism, and sexism appalling, the cruelty to women, minorities, children and animals to be sad and infurating, the "I'm a sexy baby" voice the female actors were doing in the '40s and '50s makes me want to pull my ears off :tongue2:, etc. So no old movies for me!

There are a fair number of newer movies I like and will watch again with friends, but none currently that I'll watch over and over again while alone. I prefer to binge-watch TV series instead :lol3:. NCIS, all of the Star Trek series, House, The Closer, Major Crimes, Monk. . .I think that's it so far, lol.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

rocky movies-hunt for red October-grand toreno-fast and furious- fly away home Disney movie-and other 80s movies!
The Hunt for Red October -- truly a great movie!
  and Grand Torino is a movie i love too!

and, yes! the Fast and Furious movies!
   how about xXx (pronounced Triple X), starring Vin Diesel? have you seen that movie?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders or Paint Your Wagon, just to hear Lee Marvin sing Wandering Star at the end.
i hadn't heard of Wings of Desire, but i'll definitely be seeing that one! it sounds like a really good movie!

and Paint Your Wagon......an excellent movie!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like older movies at all. It's hard to say exactly why, of course it depends on the movie too. I find the casual racism, classism, and sexism appalling, the cruelty to women, minorities, children and animals to be sad and infurating, the "I'm a sexy baby" voice the female actors were doing in the '40s and '50s makes me want to pull my ears off
, etc. So no old movies for me!

There are a fair number of newer movies I like and will watch again with friends, but none currently that I'll watch over and over again while alone. I prefer to binge-watch TV series instead
. NCIS, all of the Star Trek series, House, The Closer, Major Crimes, Monk. . .I think that's it so far, lol.
i enjoy 'binge-watching' some tv series too!

i really like the NCIS series, and i loved The Closer as well as Major Crimes.
   House is a good one too! i'm afraid i'm a bit of a Star Trek snob -- i only like the original series.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, TOS is the one I can't stand! I like Voyager and Enterprise even though nobody else did :tongue2:. And of course DS9 and TNG are great. I feel like I should get the TOS box set just to be true to my Trekkie-ness. . .only 79 episodes, 3 seasons, surely I can tolerate that much. . .lol. But I don't like old TV shows either, for the same reasons I don't like old movies.

Last edited:

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Star Trek changed in tone quite a bit from TOS to the Next Generation and beyond.

TOS was like Captain Kirk traveling the galaxy in search of hot alien women to impregnate...TNG had a bald Shakespearean actor as captain and was much more serious. But I liked it, and I grew up on it. Captain Picard is still my favorite Star Trek captain, and the Enterprise-D Galaxy Class is still my favorite Star Trek ship.

I still remember the fear of seeing the Borg for the first time, and the excitement and trepidation that followed later when that single Cube headed toward Earth and destroyed all those Federation ships at the Battle of Wolf 359. For years we knew Starfleet ships as these amazing technological wonders that could traverse the galaxy, unlock cosmic secrets and even defend themselves and colonies if need be...and seeing the wrecked hulls of some 60 Starfleet ships, floating dead in space after their encounter with the Borg...that was crazy!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I might not watch the entire movie, but I will always stop and at least watch a bit whenever The Sound of Music is on.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Star Trek changed in tone quite a bit from TOS to the Next Generation and beyond.

TOS was like Captain Kirk traveling the galaxy in search of hot alien women to impregnate...TNG had a bald Shakespearean actor as captain and was much more serious. But I liked it, and I grew up on it. Captain Picard is still my favorite Star Trek captain, and the Enterprise-D Galaxy Class is still my favorite Star Trek ship.

I still remember the fear of seeing the Borg for the first time, and the excitement and trepidation that followed later when that single Cube headed toward Earth and destroyed all those Federation ships at the Battle of Wolf 359. For years we knew Starfleet ships as these amazing technological wonders that could traverse the galaxy, unlock cosmic secrets and even defend themselves and colonies if need be...and seeing the wrecked hulls of some 60 Starfleet ships, floating dead in space after their encounter with the Borg...that was crazy!
I've always thought William Shatner ruined the original series. I watched it then, and although the special effects were fabulous (for the time), Shatner was cocky and arrogant, and it showed. Patrick Stewart was much, much better as Captain Picard and gave the series some gravitas. I loved both, though. The themes on both series were thought-provoking.

@rubysmama  I knew there was one movie everyone was missing, and it was The Sound of Music.  It ran for ever in first-run movie theaters. We had to buy reserved seats to see it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, TOS is the one I can't stand! I like Voyager and Enterprise even though nobody else did
. And of course DS9 and TNG are great. I feel like I should get the TOS box set just to be true to my Trekkie-ness. . .only 79 episodes, 3 seasons, surely I can tolerate that much. . .lol. But I don't like old TV shows either, for the same reasons I don't like old movies.
oh, now was it Voyager that had Kate Mulgrew as the captain in it? because i did like that one, but didn't it not run for long?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

......but kind of true too!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I might not watch the entire movie, but I will always stop and at least watch a bit whenever The Sound of Music is on.
oh my!!! i used to watch The Sound of Music at least once a month, maybe more often. i know that movie from beginning to end. i still love it, but only watch it occasionally now.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, now was it Voyager that had Kate Mulgrew as the captain in it? because i did like that one, but didn't it not run for long? :think:
Yep! It had 7 seasons, that's long enough for most series. . .

I do like Sound of Music. It has some of the problems of old movies but at least Julie Andrews doesn't try to sing in a baby voice :D.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! It had 7 seasons, that's long enough for most series. . .

I do like Sound of Music. It has some of the problems of old movies but at least Julie Andrews doesn't try to sing in a baby voice
7 seasons is a pretty long run for a series! if i remember correctly, i only saw an episode here and another there kind of thing.

Julie Andrews has a lovely voice.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I've always thought William Shatner ruined the original series. I watched it then, and although the special effects were fabulous (for the time), Shatner was cocky and arrogant, and it showed. Patrick Stewart was much, much better as Captain Picard and gave the series some gravitas. I loved both, though. The themes on both series were thought-provoking.
Good points. A lot of people seem to think Star Trek is all about big space battles and starships, but it's not. The vast majority of episodes skip combat altogether in favor of storylines about morality, what it means to be human, etc.

I also loved the sense that anything can happen, and anything can be discovered.

oh, now was it Voyager that had Kate Mulgrew as the captain in it? because i did like that one, but didn't it not run for long?
Voyager ran for quite a bit as others pointed out above, and it also had a long, involved storyline with the Borg (the cybernetic species that was a major threat to Starfleet), which introduced the Undine, aka Species 8472, aka the freaks from Fluidic Space.

That was a really good series of episodes, probably the best of Voyager IMO.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Star Trek! Total Trekkie here! TOS, TNG and Voyager were my faves. Even got to meet Kate Mulgrew after a play she did in NYC back in... 2010?

I grew up on Star Trek. It was so much a part of our household, people joked that it was our religion. They may not have been far off. Ironically, I've never been to a convention.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

i hadn't heard of Wings of Desire, but i'll definitely be seeing that one! it sounds like a really good movie!

and Paint Your Wagon......an excellent movie!
It is a great one. It stars the late Peter Falk as himself, the beautiful Solveig Dommartin, tragically taken from us way too soon, and has a cameo by a young Nick Cave (Swoooooon!)

It's in German, French and English but the story is so good you soon forget to read the subtitles. I've seen it so many times I can practically lip-sync to the German in the opening scenes.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It is a great one. It stars the late Peter Falk as himself, the beautiful Solveig Dommartin, tragically taken from us way too soon, and has a cameo by a young Nick Cave (Swoooooon!)

It's in German, French and English but the story is so good you soon forget to read the subtitles. I've seen it so many times I can practically lip-sync to the German in the opening scenes.
i've located Wings of Desire, and hope to watch it this afternoon. i don't mind reading subtitles. some really good movies/tv shows are in another language, have subtitles.