Question Of The Day, Sunday, June 11, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mine have run out. But I did get AllRecipes, Goodhousekeeping, Woman's Day and...Um...Family Circle. I like the recipes in those. I'll probably pick them up again after the first of the year when I'll have a bill paid off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't subscribe to any magazines anymore.

Once the internet came along, the news type magazines seemed woefully out of date by the time they arrived. It finally dawned on us that despite all of our good intentions, we never were going to get around to doing any of the cool stuff in the home and garden/hobbyist publications. We don't have any kids left at home, or any grandchildren yet, so we have no idea who's who re: pop culture. It seemed like there were more and more ads in each issue, less actual content, and for increasingly higher prices. And quite honestly, we got frustrated when our magazines kept getting 'lost' before they made it to our mailbox.

Gosh, I guess I do sound pretty old and cranky! Maybe I should step away from the computer for a bit and go yell at some kids to get off my lawn. :lol:
i can understand that! :agree: i like Houzz dot com for home and garden type ideas/browsing.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i also used to subscribe to magazines a long time ago but no more. As @sivyaleah said, there are more pages of ads than reading material.:wink: The only time I read magazines anymore is in the waiting room of the doctor's office - People is a popular one followed by Midwest Living.
it sounds like the magazines are doing the same as food companies have been doing -- reduce the amount of product we get, but either keep the price the same or increase the price. :argh: that's one of my 'pet peeves'.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't take magazines anymore, either, but I donate to Colonial Williamsburg, and they send me a quarterly magazine called Trend and Tradition. It's quite interesting and has a minimum of ads.

Most of my friends take People and chat a lot about celebrities I've never heard of.

Trend and Tradition
, a quarterly magazine!!! :clap: very nice!

i'm sure i haven't heard of many/most celebrities in People magazine these days either. :dunno: quite a ways back, i had to ask exactly who the Kardashians are and what was it they did. the answer was that they really don't do anything, but do it on camera.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it sounds like the magazines are doing the same as food companies have been doing -- reduce the amount of product we get, but either keep the price the same or increase the price. :argh: that's one of my 'pet peeves'.
A lot of home design magazines aren't regular publications. They're grab them off the news stand type buys. But I've noticed most cover prices are $10 an issue! It's just a bit much for me to make news stand shopping a regular habit. I mean it costs them money to make these magazines; but I just have to save it for ones I really like.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy, but don't subscribe. Expensive for the year! Easier just to get individually, which is fine:

- BBC History
- Archaeology Magazine
- All About History
- Any really good military history magazines that catch my eye, especially WWI or WWII.

I subscribed to Pointe Magazine. But going to dwindle from it...used to be my favourite dance magazine, but has since gone a bit too politically correct (Likely too touchy to discuss further here) in a not grand way and made me really annoyed or disappointed. Not sure if it has to do with the new owner of the magazine, or just a coincidence and things were changing anyway, but it has put me off. Also, some other aspects have gone a tad repetitive. I've liked other dance magazines before, but they were into a lot of anti-ballet sentiments.

Oh well, had a good 5 year run with them.

I used to enjoy National Geographic but that can be up and down with them nowadays, hadn't bought one in awhile actually - plus often it is more about a ton of pictures and little text. I don't like paying almost $15+ just for pics. Pics are interesting and wonderfully complimentary of course, but not when it totals like 80% of the magazine contents.

Once in awhile I will also enjoy some Equestrian magazines :)
ahhh, you enjoy history related magazines!!! :thumbsup: most excellent! and yes, it gets expensive to subscribe for a year!

and sometimes Equestrian magazines! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Organic Gardening - a gift from my Grandpa who loves to talk gardening with me. :)
Family Fun - a gift from my mother.
Better Homes & Gardens - one I pay for myself. Although I just received my last issue and haven't renewed yet. I don't have as much magazine time as I used to.

I really like Traditional Home and Tuscan Style but I don't have subscriptions. I'll pick up other Home/Interior/Garden designs as I see ones I like sometimes. Sometimes Log Cabins or focused on more country styles. Sometimes I buy ones focused on floor plans. I will get the occasional copy of Birds & Blooms too.
very nice group of magazines you subscribe to!!! :clap: and home/interior/garden design magazines as you see ones you like! :agree:

A lot of home design magazines aren't regular publications. They're grab them off the news stand type buys. But I've noticed most cover prices are $10 an issue! It's just a bit much for me to make news stand shopping a regular habit. I mean it costs them money to make these magazines; but I just have to save it for ones I really like.
yes, that's true! and i feel the same way, that $10 an issue is a bit pricey.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't publish Cat Fancy anymore :/. Now it's Catster and it's a little too cutesy for me now plus it's just about all ads.

Currently I only get Reader's Digest and Whole Dog Journal. I really like Smithsonian; I should re-subscribe. Amazon, surprisingly, has really good prices on magazine subscriptions. I got RD for only $9 for a year (I think. Maybe it was $10). I try not to get too many print magazines because they clutter up the house. I really try to take the RDs to the library free table as soon as I'm done with them but I'm not good at remembering and they still pile up, lol.
:sigh:

Reader's Digest and Whole Dog Journal magazines!!! :thumbsup: great!

that's really good to know, that Amazon has really good prices on magazine subscriptions! :agree: i'm pretty sure they offer digital magazine subscriptions too, delivered to the kindle reader.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Newspapers also do it. They reduce the size of the paper and increase the price. The Washington Post used to have a big Sunday paper now it's almost all advertising and very little actual news.

Muffy

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Newspapers also do it. They reduce the size of the paper and increase the price. The Washington Post used to have a big Sunday paper now it's almost all advertising and very little actual news.

Muffy
...and they wonder why they're losing subscriptions. just like the food companies, the result of their product shrinking has been that i make more things at home/homemade than buy them at the stores now.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have run out. But I did get AllRecipes, Goodhousekeeping, Woman's Day and...Um...Family Circle. I like the recipes in those. I'll probably pick them up again after the first of the year when I'll have a bill paid off.
very nice!!! :thumbsup: may i ask -- how did you like the Allrecipes magazine? did you feel it was worth the price, as opposed to going to the allrecipes website to find recipes?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get AARP, which is part of the membership. I've had various subscriptions, but usually something I've gotten for free like Reader's Digest (which I miss), and I had Diabetes Digest for awhile which I paid a reduced price for. I prefer print magazines to reading them online.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get magazines in the mail any longer because of finances, but I used to get (and love)

Cooking Light
Reminisce
Rebecca's Garden
Country Living.

I do subscribe to The Washington Post online which I read every day. Part of the reason for the subscription is I gave up a cable tier of stations and I am missing the news shows on CNN, etc.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get magazines in the mail any longer because of finances, but I used to get (and love)

Cooking Light
Reminisce
Rebecca's Garden
Country Living.

I do subscribe to The Washington Post online which I read every day. Part of the reason for the subscription is I gave up a cable tier of stations and I am missing the news shows on CNN, etc.
that's a nice group of magazines you used to get!!! :clap:

i think finances are a bit...tight for most people these days. i used to get a local newspaper home delivered, but when my trash removal bill went up (to 'through the roof' category), that was part of what i gave up to offset the trash bill increase.

The Washington Post online!! :thumbsup: good newspaper, imo!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get AARP, which is part of the membership. I've had various subscriptions, but usually something I've gotten for free like Reader's Digest (which I miss), and I had Diabetes Digest for awhile which I paid a reduced price for. I prefer print magazines to reading them online.
AARP magazine!! :clap:

i really like magazines which can be gotten at a reduced price or free. :agree: