Question Of The Day, Sunday, June 11, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :hellocomputer:

the other day i was thinking about magazines. or rather, that i don't subscribe to them any longer, instead preferring to look things up, browse interesting topics, and etc online.

for today's Question of the Day --

Do you subscribe to any magazines?

i haven't subscribed to any magazines in quite a while. i think my favorite was Reader's Digest. i also really enjoyed Cook's Country. and National Geographic.

in waiting rooms, i like to flip through magazines likes Better Homes and Gardens.

How about you?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I got my tablet a short while ago I subscribed to Texture. I haven't yet decided if I am going to keep it or not. I don't use it a lot but it is only $15 a month. It has Readers Digest, Smithsonian, the newsmagazines, and National Geographic. There are lots of others but those are the types that I am interested in. They also go back a long way with back issues. I can look at magazines that I have downloaded without a wifi connection. I do sometimes like to just leaf through a magazines at home. Often a waiting room doesn't have anything I am interested in so it is nice to bring my own.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm...

I just sent in for a free two-year subscription to All Recipes, courtesy of King Arthur

Cook's Illustrated
Cook's Country
Time
New York
Shape
Bon Appetit
Cooking Light
Better Homes and Gardens
Southern Living
Garden Gate
Prevention
Sports Illustrated
Glamour
Simple

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like:

Simple
Cooks Country
Food Network
Cooking Light

I only subscribe to one:
Catster! of course, although the quality has gone downhill

I would like to subscribe to all of the above, but it gets to be expensive. I just pick up what I feel like, when I feel like it.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bon Appetit, however, I've cancelled it. It's turned into 77 pages of ads with 20 pages of recipes. No thanks.

The only other one is American Bungalow. I have a Craftsman home and this magazine is a great resource.

I used to subscribe to every cooking magazine imaginable but nearly all of their recipes are now online. Getting rid of the paper versions has certainly made my living room more livable :lol:

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to get 3 or 4 at a time, Dog Fancy, Aquarium Fish and Cat Fancy among them! At different times, I've had subscriptions to:
NewsWeek
Sicilian Life (now gone)
Italian American
Country Living
Better Homes and Gardens
Taste of Home

Just now I do not have any . . . except those things which come when you have a membership: AAA Travel, AARP Bulletin.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only one I subscribe to now is AARP magazine. I used to get subscribe to:

TV Guide
National Enquirer
Vegetarian Times
Puritans Pride magazine
Readers Digest
Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine
Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine

I can't read small print anymore and the magazines today are to expensive.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't subscribe to any magazines anymore.

Once the internet came along, the news type magazines seemed woefully out of date by the time they arrived. It finally dawned on us that despite all of our good intentions, we never were going to get around to doing any of the cool stuff in the home and garden/hobbyist publications. We don't have any kids left at home, or any grandchildren yet, so we have no idea who's who re: pop culture. It seemed like there were more and more ads in each issue, less actual content, and for increasingly higher prices. And quite honestly, we got frustrated when our magazines kept getting 'lost' before they made it to our mailbox.

Gosh, I guess I do sound pretty old and cranky! Maybe I should step away from the computer for a bit and go yell at some kids to get off my lawn. :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
i also used to subscribe to magazines a long time ago but no more. As sivyaleah sivyaleah said, there are more pages of ads than reading material.:wink: The only time I read magazines anymore is in the waiting room of the doctor's office - People is a popular one followed by Midwest Living.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't take magazines anymore, either, but I donate to Colonial Williamsburg, and they send me a quarterly magazine called Trend and Tradition. It's quite interesting and has a minimum of ads.

Most of my friends take People and chat a lot about celebrities I've never heard of.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy, but don't subscribe. Expensive for the year! Easier just to get individually, which is fine:

- BBC History
- Archaeology Magazine
- All About History
- Any really good military history magazines that catch my eye, especially WWI or WWII.

I subscribed to Pointe Magazine. But going to dwindle from it...used to be my favourite dance magazine, but has since gone a bit too politically correct (Likely too touchy to discuss further here) in a not grand way and made me really annoyed or disappointed. Not sure if it has to do with the new owner of the magazine, or just a coincidence and things were changing anyway, but it has put me off. Also, some other aspects have gone a tad repetitive. I've liked other dance magazines before, but they were into a lot of anti-ballet sentiments.

Oh well, had a good 5 year run with them.

I used to enjoy National Geographic but that can be up and down with them nowadays, hadn't bought one in awhile actually - plus often it is more about a ton of pictures and little text. I don't like paying almost $15+ just for pics. Pics are interesting and wonderfully complimentary of course, but not when it totals like 80% of the magazine contents.

Once in awhile I will also enjoy some Equestrian magazines :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Organic Gardening - a gift from my Grandpa who loves to talk gardening with me. :)
Family Fun - a gift from my mother.
Better Homes & Gardens - one I pay for myself. Although I just received my last issue and haven't renewed yet. I don't have as much magazine time as I used to.

I really like Traditional Home and Tuscan Style but I don't have subscriptions. I'll pick up other Home/Interior/Garden designs as I see ones I like sometimes. Sometimes Log Cabins or focused on more country styles. Sometimes I buy ones focused on floor plans. I will get the occasional copy of Birds & Blooms too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got my tablet a short while ago I subscribed to Texture. I haven't yet decided if I am going to keep it or not. I don't use it a lot but it is only $15 a month. It has Readers Digest, Smithsonian, the newsmagazines, and National Geographic. There are lots of others but those are the types that I am interested in. They also go back a long way with back issues. I can look at magazines that I have downloaded without a wifi connection. I do sometimes like to just leaf through a magazines at home. Often a waiting room doesn't have anything I am interested in so it is nice to bring my own.
Texture, interesting!!! :thumbsup: so, Texture includes a selection of magazines..?

yes, waiting rooms many times don't have any magazines i'm interested in either. the exception for me is at my vet's, they have Adirondack and cat/dog related magazines.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...

I just sent in for a free two-year subscription to All Recipes, courtesy of King Arthur

Cook's Illustrated
Cook's Country
Time
New York
Shape
Bon Appetit
Cooking Light
Better Homes and Gardens
Southern Living
Garden Gate
Prevention
Sports Illustrated
Glamour
Simple
ahhh, very nice!!! :clap: i love the all recipes website, use it quite often to find recipes. please let me know how you like their magazine.

Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country -- just wonderful magazines!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like:

Simple
Cooks Country
Food Network
Cooking Light

I only subscribe to one:
Catster! of course, although the quality has gone downhill

I would like to subscribe to all of the above, but it gets to be expensive. I just pick up what I feel like, when I feel like it.
a lovely list of magazines you like, and one you subscribe to!!! :thumbsup:

yes, it does get to be expensive to subscribe to magazines. that makes sense, to pick up what you feel like, when you feel like it! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bon Appetit, however, I've cancelled it. It's turned into 77 pages of ads with 20 pages of recipes. No thanks.

The only other one is American Bungalow. I have a Craftsman home and this magazine is a great resource.

I used to subscribe to every cooking magazine imaginable but nearly all of their recipes are now online. Getting rid of the paper versions has certainly made my living room more livable :lol:
oh my!! that's certainly too many pages of ads vs pages of recipes! :headshake:

American Bungalow!!! :clap: that sounds like an interesting magazine! :)

yes! and i like being able to pick and choose individual recipes online.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get 3 or 4 at a time, Dog Fancy, Aquarium Fish and Cat Fancy among them! At different times, I've had subscriptions to:
NewsWeek
Sicilian Life (now gone)
Italian American
Country Living
Better Homes and Gardens
Taste of Home

Just now I do not have any . . . except those things which come when you have a membership: AAA Travel, AARP Bulletin.
quite a nice list of magazines you've had subscriptions to!!! :thumbsup:

i really enjoy Cat Fancy magazine, though i've never subscribed to it. years ago i was gifted with a bunch of Cat Fancy magazines, accumulated over time at yard sales. that was a very nice gift! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only one I subscribe to now is AARP magazine. I used to get subscribe to:

TV Guide
National Enquirer
Vegetarian Times
Puritans Pride magazine
Readers Digest
Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine
Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine

I can't read small print anymore and the magazines today are to expensive.
ooooooo! Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine!!! :cloud9: i've never read their magazines, but enjoy their tv shows/movies very much!

good point there! :agree: i can't read small print anymore either.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't publish Cat Fancy anymore :/. Now it's Catster and it's a little too cutesy for me now plus it's just about all ads.

Currently I only get Reader's Digest and Whole Dog Journal. I really like Smithsonian; I should re-subscribe. Amazon, surprisingly, has really good prices on magazine subscriptions. I got RD for only $9 for a year (I think. Maybe it was $10). I try not to get too many print magazines because they clutter up the house. I really try to take the RDs to the library free table as soon as I'm done with them but I'm not good at remembering and they still pile up, lol.