Question Of The Day, Sunday, July 8, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :hellocomputer:

lately, our DeeDee has become enamored with one particular cat toy (well, we have three of them, but they're all the same toy). she loves batting them around, tucking them under the kitchen stove and then fishing them out, as well as carrying them around in her mouth while loudly yowling! :dancingblackcat: at first, i was concerned when she started the loud yowling, until i saw that she always had her 'prey' held in her mouth when doing the yowling. now i ask DeeDee if she has her 'baby', or 'prey', and when she brings it near me i tell her how good she is, that she has caught her 'prey'. :hearthrob:

so for today's Question of the Day......

What kind of meows/sounds does your cat(s) make? How vocal is your cat(s)?

i'll start!

yup, DeeDee makes quite loud yowling, when she's involved with her 'prey' toy! it sounds like -- mmmMRrOOOOOWWWww. it's startling coming from DeeDee, because she's usually a very quiet girl, and has a very soft meow even. :purr:

our Punky is very vocal! she carries on a 'running' commentary while she's doing things. :runningcat: it sounds similar to this -- MMroooWWWWW??, and always ends like it's a question she's asking. :lol:

Dude's most common kind of meows sound like -- MMrrraaAAA, and sometimes MMroooWWW! :lovecat3: when he's scolding one of the girls, his meows are more...hoarse sounding. :nono:

okay, now it's your turn!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton has the strangest meow of any cat who has shared our home with us. He talks softly except when he wants something and then instead of a meow he literally "yowls." When we first adopted him he never meowed or talked for weeks so imagine our surprise when this giant yowl came out of him. :biggrin:

We used to call Neely the Exorcist when she would use the litter box after defecating. She would make these insanely scary sounds and run through the house like an evil monster was chasing her. :flail:

All our other cats meowed for more common things like food or play/toys.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the mood. Usually, Samai is very loud. It's almost scary. But when she gets demanding, it gets almost like a growl meow mix. I'm pretty sure she still thinks she's part lion.
Onsa on the other hand has never outgrown the squeaking noise.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bodhi does the loud yowl at night sometimes when he has the zoomies. Sometimes if there's a bird outside a window I'll glance at him and whisper dude, then move my eyes towards the window to let him know something's up outside. He'll do a soft trill with that and come over to investigate. He plays this game where he jumps on top of the refrigerator and I'll let him walk onto my shoulders then squat down like he's getting an elevator ride to the floor. He has one that sounds like a baby crying when he does that. I think he figured that one out through trial and error. He knows it's hard to ignore that one. He'll get a few extra elevator rides before I wise up. Lol

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alice has a harsh, loud meow and she can be vocal when she wants something. She had the same meow when she was an 8 week old kitten, I wondered how that much noise could come out of a small furball. She does this trilling thing when she is excited or when she is snuggling.

Patches was a very quiet cat but he would chirp like a bird when he was excited.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have pretty much everything, from tiny adorable squeak-peeps to say hello to cats that sound like fog horns just to hear the sound of their own voices.
A few of my boys sound like little kittens, peeping around, and a few of my girls are so much louder and deeper and kind of sound like elephants blowing their trunks across the continent.
One of our girls recently started carrying toys around, when she started vocalizing she seriously sounded like a cat in terrible distress and once I realized what she was doing, and once I'd taken some nitro tabs (:p), I'm used to the sound now.
Another will do the toy carry yowl-y thing. I'll hear her across the house, slamming toys around and sliding into furniture, knocking over books, lamps, etc., then the sound abruptly stops. A few seconds later she lets out a yowl and sounds like someone yelling "NOWWW? NOWWWW? NOWWW????" If someone calls her name, the yowling stops, she pokes her head into the room with the toy covering half her face, and upon hearing her name, she gives off a "PRRT!! :hearthrob:" and comes rushing over at a fast trot and drops the toy at our feet so we can throw it and start the whole thing over again. :loveeyes:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cocoabean has a very cute "meow", that lifts at the end like she's asking a question. She's fairly vocal at all times of the day. She also does that "Prrt" noise, especially if you walk up to her while in one of her window beds.

Casper is very quiet. We almost never hear him vocalize at all at home but when he does, it's a yowl. I don't think we've ever heard him meow like a normal cat lol. It usually happens right after he poops :flail:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fudge is incredibly vocal and has a loud, deep meow, which can almost sound like a dog's bark at times!
Toffee never used to be able to meow properly and would often sound like he had a sore throat when he meowed, but lately he has just found his little voice. He has a squeaky, high-pitched meow and is not as vocal as his brother (Fudge likes to remind him of that fact!).

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bonnie sometimes sounds like she's inhaled helium, soft and scratchy. Clyde is more vocal. He won't talk all the time, but answers when I talk to him. At times he sounds like he's saying 'Now what?' lol

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
C'est Moi is fairly vocal with loud meows, especially when she wants treats. She will also try to meow her name. She has a very soft, quiet purr.
Olivie's main sound is a kitten-like squeak. She also makes some cute chirps and trills when she's being playful. When she's annoyed with Hotaru, she hisses like a snake. She has a very nasally purr.
Hotaru's meow sometimes sounds like a human baby crying. She also has a very persistent meow that she will use if she is trying to get me to wake up; she will climb all over me going meow, meow, meow. She has a trill that she likes to use when she wants attention. Her purr is fairly loud.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speedy is a very quiet cat. When she would like something, such as for me to wake up, or she is waiting for food or a treat, she will paw me lightly or sit with one paw raised. Here she is with one paw raised, no meows at all, waiting for a treat -
20171012_164148-1 (2).jpg

There are a few times when she will meow and mostly those few times are when she is playing. She likes to carry 'prey' toys up the stairs and will make a rolling meow while having the toy in her mouth.

Another time she will vocalize is when I am able to converse back and forth with her in a little conversation. I will ask questions and she will give answers with a soft meow.

Speedy does trill, however, and quite a bit when she is watching bird visitors at the feeder. speed3 (1).jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carleton has the strangest meow of any cat who has shared our home with us. He talks softly except when he wants something and then instead of a meow he literally "yowls." When we first adopted him he never meowed or talked for weeks so imagine our surprise when this giant yowl came out of him. :biggrin:

We used to call Neely the Exorcist when she would use the litter box after defecating. She would make these insanely scary sounds and run through the house like an evil monster was chasing her. :flail:

All our other cats meowed for more common things like food or play/toys.
your Carleton talks softly except when he wants something!!! :clap: excellent!! :D

ahhh, your Neely would do the zooming through the house after defecating thing, as well as make 'insanely scary sounds' while doing it! :lol: i think it was my Mickey :rbheart: who would do that -- just the zooming through the house part. and our Dude has done that occasionally, too.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the mood. Usually, Samai is very loud. It's almost scary. But when she gets demanding, it gets almost like a growl meow mix. I'm pretty sure she still thinks she's part lion.
Onsa on the other hand has never outgrown the squeaking noise.
your Samai is usually very loud, while Onsa makes a squeaking type meow!!! :thumbsup: that's awesome!! :)

our DeeDee quite often makes the 'silent meow'. i just love that!! :redheartpump:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bodhi does the loud yowl at night sometimes when he has the zoomies. Sometimes if there's a bird outside a window I'll glance at him and whisper dude, then move my eyes towards the window to let him know something's up outside. He'll do a soft trill with that and come over to investigate. He plays this game where he jumps on top of the refrigerator and I'll let him walk onto my shoulders then squat down like he's getting an elevator ride to the floor. He has one that sounds like a baby crying when he does that. I think he figured that one out through trial and error. He knows it's hard to ignore that one. He'll get a few extra elevator rides before I wise up. Lol
your Bodhi yowls loudly at night while zooming sometimes, trills when he picks up on your calling attention to birds outside a window, and enjoys playing the 'elevator ride down from the refrigerator top' game!!! :clap: very nice!! :D

i've had my cats sounds similar to a baby crying, usually when i'm on the phone with customer service. they can sound very much like a baby crying at times! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alice has a harsh, loud meow and she can be vocal when she wants something. She had the same meow when she was an 8 week old kitten, I wondered how that much noise could come out of a small furball. She does this trilling thing when she is excited or when she is snuggling.

Patches was a very quiet cat but he would chirp like a bird when he was excited.
Alice can be vocal when she's wanting something, and has a harsh, loud meow!!! :thumbsup: awww, and she trills when she's excited or is snuggling!! :redheartpump:

your Patches would chirp like a bird when he was excited, and was otherwise a very quiet boy!! that's just so sweet, his chirping!!! :cloud9:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have pretty much everything, from tiny adorable squeak-peeps to say hello to cats that sound like fog horns just to hear the sound of their own voices.
A few of my boys sound like little kittens, peeping around, and a few of my girls are so much louder and deeper and kind of sound like elephants blowing their trunks across the continent.
One of our girls recently started carrying toys around, when she started vocalizing she seriously sounded like a cat in terrible distress and once I realized what she was doing, and once I'd taken some nitro tabs (:p), I'm used to the sound now.
Another will do the toy carry yowl-y thing. I'll hear her across the house, slamming toys around and sliding into furniture, knocking over books, lamps, etc., then the sound abruptly stops. A few seconds later she lets out a yowl and sounds like someone yelling "NOWWW? NOWWWW? NOWWW????" If someone calls her name, the yowling stops, she pokes her head into the room with the toy covering half her face, and upon hearing her name, she gives off a "PRRT!! :hearthrob:" and comes rushing over at a fast trot and drops the toy at our feet so we can throw it and start the whole thing over again. :loveeyes:
your cats have all sorts of interesting vocalizations!!! :clap: awesome!! :D

and two of your girls do the yowl-y thing! yes, it does very much sound like a cat in serious distress. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cocoabean has a very cute "meow", that lifts at the end like she's asking a question. She's fairly vocal at all times of the day. She also does that "Prrt" noise, especially if you walk up to her while in one of her window beds.

Casper is very quiet. We almost never hear him vocalize at all at home but when he does, it's a yowl. I don't think we've ever heard him meow like a normal cat lol. It usually happens right after he poops :flail:
your Cocoabean has a very cute meow that sounds like she's asking a question :lol: and is fairly vocal all times of the day, while Casper is very quiet except he'll yowl right after he poops!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)

awww...your girl makes the 'Prrt' sound! :hearthrob:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fudge is incredibly vocal and has a loud, deep meow, which can almost sound like a dog's bark at times!
Toffee never used to be able to meow properly and would often sound like he had a sore throat when he meowed, but lately he has just found his little voice. He has a squeaky, high-pitched meow and is not as vocal as his brother (Fudge likes to remind him of that fact!).
your Fudge is very vocal, with a loud and deep meow, while Toffee has just recently found his voice -- a squeaky, high-pitched meow!!! :clap: really very nice!! :D

your boys sound like they 'complement' each other nicely! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bonnie sometimes sounds like she's inhaled helium, soft and scratchy. Clyde is more vocal. He won't talk all the time, but answers when I talk to him. At times he sounds like he's saying 'Now what?' lol
your Bonnie sometimes sounds like she's inhaled helium, soft and scratchy; while Clyde is more vocal, and will answer when you talk to him!!! :thumbsup: that's really great!! :)

how interesting, that your boy sounds like he's saying, 'Now what?' at times!! :lol: