Question of the Day, Sunday, July 3, 2016

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good afternoon!  
     i'm quite late today, with the Question of the Day...

today i made a very nice batch of blueberry freezer jam. YUM!!! and that got me thinking about the different kinds of jams, jellies, preserves, curds, and etc that i love -- and those i just really don't care for.

so for today's Question of the Day......

What is your favorite kind of jam, jelly, preserve, curd, spread, etc? and, Are there any that you just don't care for?

i'll start!

i absolutely love jams, jellies, and etc! it's hard for me to choose one that i'd say is my favorite, but that would probably be apple butter. 
   a close second would be concord grape jelly. for me, there is a big difference between concord grape jelly and just plain grape jelly.

i also love lemon curd, but rarely make it.

the only one that comes to mind that i just don't like is orange marmalade.

okay, now it's your turn!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the organic pure fruit 'jams' that don't use any sugar. I don't have a favourite - it all depends on what I'm in the mood for. Wild blueberry, strawberry, apricot and plum are ones I go back to time and again though. I love marmalades/citrus pure fruit spreads too, so long as the peel isn't cut too thick. I think marmalades is general are a VERY British thing :lol3:

In terms of savoury spreads, I really REALLY miss Vegemite. I can't eat it since being diagnosed as coeliac, and I used to love the stuff :bawling:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fig! LOVE.

I also like most others, strawberry, raspberry, blackberry. Apricot! Yummy.

Not a fan of grape jam tho. Maybe I ate too much of it as a kid.

Also dislike orange marmalade. 

PS: I've NEVER had a peanut butter & jelly sandwich in all my 57 years. The thought of it is nauseating.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite is Strawberry preserves or strawberry jam.  I actually prefer preserves  or  jams in general to jellies.  I like lemon or lime curd but as a filling for a cake or doughnut rather than as a spread.

I don't care for marmalade either.  I have only tried it once.  I usually will give something that I dislike a second try in case that one time  I had  something that wasn't right.  I disliked it so much I never gave it a second try.

I know it isn't the sort of thing you are talking about but it is a spread.  I love Nutella.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like marmelade at all
I like fruit preserves. I tend to stick with strawberry and raspberry and blueberry and a any mixed berry type. I have tried mango and other preserves which were good.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A good seedless raspberry jam, preferably between two sugar cookies! 

My sister makes a decadent sugarless strawberry jam.

Most of the time I use jams and preserves as the basis for some kind of glaze for meats. I love to use raspberry on ham, for example. Apricot is wonderful on pork and so is peach. Yum. One time a GF gave us some homemade orange-pineapple preserves. They came down to dinner soon after and we had a pork roast. She asked me what was the delicious glaze on the roast....I told her it was her preserves. She said she never thought to use it that way. But it was really good.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I have never had marmalade so I have no clue if I like those. I don't eat much jelly but you know I think I am going to make a toasted peanut butter sandwich with jelly this morning for breakfast. I prefer red colored jellies-strawberry-raspberry type. I dont really like grape flavor anything. blueberries are good but those belong inside Pie so I dont think I would eat it on toast. I have never had curd. I don't normally eat sweet things-unless its Coconut or vanilla flavored. I have to say what else do you do with jelly? I always thought its only for toast and we are not a big toast eater here. I never thought to use it on meat-thats a good idea. I always used pineapple on ham. I wonder how raspberry and pineapple together would taste?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Apricot preserves on top of a buttered English muffin - yum! I fell in love with that after my surgery in 2007. I HATED jam / preserves mixed with butter before that. Weird how surgery changes your taste in things.

Someone actually had a homemade jalapeno raspberry jam that was sold at the cat shelter fundraiser I went to in February, as well as just a jalapeno one. They were surprisingly delicious, on a saltine with cream cheese. Yum yum.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The sweet/spicy combination has become popular recently.  I like it if it isn't too hot.  It does cut down on the sweet.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite is the one I am eating at the time. I love jam and preserves. The ones that come to mind first are fig, pear, pineapple, and watermelon rind.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I brought Blackberry, Peach Jam, orange Marmalade and some English muffins.  I'm going to eat good this week.

I don't care for raspberry or apple jelly or jam.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the organic pure fruit 'jams' that don't use any sugar. I don't have a favourite - it all depends on what I'm in the mood for. Wild blueberry, strawberry, apricot and plum are ones I go back to time and again though. I love marmalades/citrus pure fruit spreads too, so long as the peel isn't cut too thick. I think marmalades is general are a VERY British thing

In terms of savoury spreads, I really REALLY miss Vegemite. I can't eat it since being diagnosed as coeliac, and I used to love the stuff
mmmm......those organic pure fruit 'jams' sound like they'd be very tasty!

i think a lot of likes/dislikes of foods may very well have to do with what foods, what types of foods, we've grown up eating. that's not to say we don't enjoy trying new things, and find new foods we really like. for example, the smoked meat i grew up eating was ham...and bacon. i've never been a fan of smoked ham hocks...just yuck! i think a lot of my dislike of them has to do with not eating much smoked meat while i was growing up.

a while back, i came across a lemon marmalade recipe that i thought i might try. i haven't made it yet, but if i do i'll be sure to slice the peel nice and thin.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Fig! LOVE.

I also like most others, strawberry, raspberry, blackberry. Apricot! Yummy.

Not a fan of grape jam tho. Maybe I ate too much of it as a kid.

Also dislike orange marmalade. 

PS: I've NEVER had a peanut butter & jelly sandwich in all my 57 years. The thought of it is nauseating.
ahhh, figs!!! 
  i love them too!

i didn't like grape jelly much as a kid. as an adult, i always buy concord grape jelly -- it's 'the king' of grapes. the flavor is ever so much better if it's concord grape, vs just plain grape jelly.

i grew up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, mostly in my (for school) lunches. the jelly always soaked into the bread slice it was on well before it was time for lunch --
  so as an adult, i always spread a thin layer of peanut butter on both slices of bread, then spread some jelly over the peanut butter on one slice and put the sandwich together.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My favorite is Strawberry preserves or strawberry jam.  I actually prefer preserves  or  jams in general to jellies.  I like lemon or lime curd but as a filling for a cake or doughnut rather than as a spread.

I don't care for marmalade either.  I have only tried it once.  I usually will give something that I dislike a second try in case that one time  I had  something that wasn't right.  I disliked it so much I never gave it a second try.

I know it isn't the sort of thing you are talking about but it is a spread.  I love Nutella.
yummmmm! strawberry jam/preserves are so very good! 
  last year i made strawberry freezer jam with the berries from my strawberry patch. freezer jam is a little different than cooked jams -- the fruit isn't cooked. the taste is outstanding though!

nutella! oh yes, i did mean this sort of thing too!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't like marmelade at all
I like fruit preserves. I tend to stick with strawberry and raspberry and blueberry and a any mixed berry type. I have tried mango and other preserves which were good.

mmmm........fruit preserves!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Costco has this raspberry, rhubarb cherry (all in one jar) jam that is amazing. We had to make some jam cookies with it because it was a huge jar. Other than that I like smuckers strawberry jelly.

I don't really like marmalade, it's too chunky for me. Or grape jelly.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A good seedless raspberry jam, preferably between two sugar cookies!  

My sister makes a decadent sugarless strawberry jam.

Most of the time I use jams and preserves as the basis for some kind of glaze for meats. I love to use raspberry on ham, for example. Apricot is wonderful on pork and so is peach. Yum. One time a GF gave us some homemade orange-pineapple preserves. They came down to dinner soon after and we had a pork roast. She asked me what was the delicious glaze on the roast....I told her it was her preserves. She said she never thought to use it that way. But it was really good.
oh my!!! that sounds really tasty!

mmmm......jams and preserves used as a basis for a glaze for meats!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have never had marmalade so I have no clue if I like those. I don't eat much jelly but you know I think I am going to make a toasted peanut butter sandwich with jelly this morning for breakfast. I prefer red colored jellies-strawberry-raspberry type. I dont really like grape flavor anything. blueberries are good but those belong inside Pie so I dont think I would eat it on toast. I have never had curd. I don't normally eat sweet things-unless its Coconut or vanilla flavored. I have to say what else do you do with jelly? I always thought its only for toast and we are not a big toast eater here. I never thought to use it on meat-thats a good idea. I always used pineapple on ham. I wonder how raspberry and pineapple together would taste?
yum! ......a toasted peanut butter sandwich with jelly!

i do use jams and jellies on toast a lot, which i eat as part of my breakfast most mornings. i really like @Winchester's idea -- to put jam between two sugar cookies!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apricot preserves on top of a buttered English muffin - yum! I fell in love with that after my surgery in 2007. I HATED jam / preserves mixed with butter before that. Weird how surgery changes your taste in things.

Someone actually had a homemade jalapeno raspberry jam that was sold at the cat shelter fundraiser I went to in February, as well as just a jalapeno one. They were surprisingly delicious, on a saltine with cream cheese. Yum yum.
ahhhh, apricot preserves on top of a buttered english muffin!

that jalapeno raspberry jam sounds like it would be quite good!