Question of the Day, Sunday, July 26, 2015

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
moths are fine, as long as they're outdoors. indoors, they like to chew on my curtains/drapes and rugs. i've read that lavender oil soaked into a cotton ball and placed in a dish, can repel moths indoors.
I didn't mean moths. I meant butterflies. Sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't mean moths. I meant butterflies. Sorry.
oh, butterflies! they're so pretty. here in new york state, in the city of rochester, there's the Strong Museum. they have a butterfly 'room', that's kind of like a rainforest environment. the temperature is controlled all year round, and it's kept moist in there. visitors to the museum can go into the butterfly room, and it's just lovely. there were some little guinea fowl running around in there the last time i was there. i used to walk by the butterfly room (on the sidewalk out front of the museum) quite often, even during the frigid winters. in the winter what i mostly saw  was steamed up windows, but in the warmer months i could see butterflies from the sidewalk.

i wanted to add a youtube video of the butterfly room, or butterfly garden as it's called there --

Last edited:

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angel has a thing for moths but I think it makes her sad when they get inside she is so intent on chasing it and then is sad when it kills its self by bouncing off the light.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, butterflies! they're so pretty. here in new york state, in the city of rochester, there's the Strong Museum. they have a butterfly 'room', that's kind of like a rainforest environment. the temperature is controlled all year round, and it's kept moist in there. visitors to the museum can go into the butterfly room, and it's just lovely. there were some little guinea fowl running around in there the last time i was there. i used to walk by the butterfly room (on the sidewalk out front of the museum) quite often, even during the frigid winters. in the winter what i mostly saw  was steamed up windows, but in the warmer months i could see butterflies from the sidewalk.

i wanted to add a youtube video of the butterfly room, or butterfly garden as it's called there --
Lovely. But how long do butterflies live for? Surely they have to keep replenishing the butterflies. I liked the turtle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely. But how long do butterflies live for? Surely they have to keep replenishing the butterflies. I liked the turtle.
not sure how long butterflies live. butterflies start out as caterpillars, undergo several sheddings of their outer skins/layers, until their final shedding after which they transform into a butterfly. this is called metamorphosis. after becoming butterflies, part of what they do is to lay many many eggs.......which will become butterflies too.

at the Strong Museum butterfly room, they have butterflies in all of their life stages -- from tiny eggs the size of a sesame seed on leaves, on up to the final metamorphosis into butterflies. visiting the butterfly room, you're able to see (behind protective windows) all these life stages of the butterflies. so there are always caterpillars transforming into butterflies there in the butterfly room, and there's no need to replenish the butterflies -- just allow the eggs to go through the transformation into butterflies.