Question of the Day: Sunday, January 8

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hallo erveryone, Happy Sunday!
The first week of 2023 has passed, and Twelfth Nicht has been and gone. Although the Ukranian refugees in this town celebrated Christmas Day yesterday (Jan. 7th), most of us have put all Christmassy items away until next year ..... or have we?
I'm living in Germany where, I'm told, it isn't so very long ago when people would buy a second Christmas tree so that they could keep one decorated until Candle Mass - this year to be celebrated on 2nd February. So here there is no bad luck associated with lights and decorations being kept up after 12th Night though there is rarely anything still around by the end of January.

Today, as everyday since the end of November, Woolly Bear takes a nap in the cat bed, bought as a bit of a joke to be given to the cat charity for its pre-Christmas tombola on the principle that a cat will never sleep in a purpose-bought cat bed so why not donate it?
Permanent Catbed.jpg

I'm neither particularly religious nor superstitious, but can I leave this cat bed out all year? I don't really want to but perhaps I'll have to! :lol: Woolly Bear thinks it's hers and the other cats don't care! The charity will have to do without.

Have you got something from Christmas still hanging around? I also have a winter wreath on the front door - I'm insisting it's a snow scene and has little to do with Christmas. :dunno:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I still have a small nativity set up on my music cabinet. It's been in my family for as long as I can remember, and I just enjoy it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... sweet Wooley Bear. :hearthrob:
And, yes, you can keep the bed out all year, as it's just reminding everyone that Wooley Bear is a star. :lovecat:

I was about to say all my Christmas decor is put away, then your door wreath reminded me that my front step Christmas planter is still there. I'll probably leave it there till spring, as otherwise the step looks bare. Might remove the bow though.

1673191769112.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's this I've just noticed? It's a throw - my daughter took a photo of Woolly Bear in her Christmas tree bed, and had it printed onto a throw. It's covering one of my easy chairs. So, here is little Katy sitting comfortably on my Christmas present with an enlarged picture of Woolly Bear, her bed and the floor tiles :lol: - another Christmas "hang-over"! Who knows how long it'll stay in the living room. Katy likes it so much that she doesn't give me much of a chance to use it.
Katy on the throw.jpg
o

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a few things still out. I'm Catholic, so I don't like putting my nativity away until after the Epiphany, so it'll go away soon. Our stockings are still hung up, whoops. But most is down.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ornaments are put away, but my "cat proof" Christmas tree is still up as well as a few items on my piano and the lights in the windows. I was planning on taking them down today.
This is what I came up with this year so I could still have a Christmas "tree" that the cats wouldn't destroy. It's still a work in progress and I may change things up a bit, but it did the job and I think it looked pretty.....don't mind the mess of my house, I was on holidays when this was taken...hadn't tidied up. And the giant white thing tucked behind my piano is what I pull out when I want to work on my puzzle...it's the only place I can store it where it won't get bent, damaged or too dirty/dusty.
1673198865700.png
1673198925262.png

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The only decoration I still have out is on my front door and since it's more winter related than Christmas I'll leave it up until spring.

Wooly Bear is the Lady of the house so whatever the Lady wants the Lady gets! :biggrin:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everything is still up here. I did turn the outside lights off out front but I didnt get to the backyard before dark. I never rush it without a good reason. The lights are so soothing after everyone else is in bed.

Mooch has a cardboard gingerbread house that stays out year round. She doesn’t use it much but I definitely would if it was getting used a lot too!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I barely do Christmas but I do have a christmas tree that is more a christmas branch, sprayed silver that I decorate with bit and pieces. I've only just managed to pack it away.