Question of the Day, Sunday, January 28th

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
What is one herb or spice you love that other people are often on the fence about?

Me: Cilantro. I think it has a nice, clean flavor.
Oh yes, me too, although we call the leaves Coriander.

When it comes to spice blends, I'm an harissa addict. That would be pretty hard to dislike.

(I have a feeling this is going to be the 'I hate/love Cilantro' thread.)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
mani mani I think you are correct.. it is a 'cilantro' thread...
Put me in the category of NO Cilantro.... I think it is a genetic thing with me. To me, it tastes like soap.. so....

I just love Herbs De Provence-- especially the blend from Penzey's...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Great minds.....! I really like Penzey's herbs de provence, too. Good stuff.
And not a fan of cilantro either.

I like to make my own seasonings. Yesterday, I made some Italian seasoning with basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, and thyme. A bit of savory and a bit of sage. It smelled heavenly.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like cumin really well. Cilantro is okay it just isn't a favorite for me. I don't have the genetic issue though, I don't get the soapy taste. I do not like anise, licorice or fennel. It's less well known but that is genetic as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I despise star anise and didn't even know licorice was a spice. :eek2: Put me down for Team I Hate Them! :lol:

One thing I have an intense hatred of is sea salt. It ruined a few good meals for me until I started carrying my own salt shaker in my pocketbook unless I knew my kind of salt would be available.

Once, DH and I went to a restaurant for lunch. A co-worker just happened to be seated a few booths away. I realized I had forgotten my salt and DH got up and left the restaurant on a mission to buy salt. He was gone so long that my co-worker became concerned and asked if I was alright. I guess it looked like we'd been in the midst of an argument and DH just left me stranded at the restaurant.

I don't like imitation salt, either.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there's really any herb or spice that I don't care for.My spice cabinet is full to say the least!Actually,it's overflowing according to Harry,and he's right.He kinda shudders when he sees an amazon box,lol!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what people typically don't like. I hate cilantro, not because it tastes like soap but because it tastes like cilantro. I also can't stand ginger. My favorites though are rosemary, dill, and the ones you just add to everything like onion powder, garlic powder and salt.