Question of the Day, Sunday, February 21, 2016

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Blooming pear trees.  You go to bed one night, and they are bare.  The next afternoon they are covered in white blossoms, and a few days after that it looks as it it is snowing as the petals fall.  Gorgeous. 

That's the main one.  Open windows, but we can do that off and on all year round.  It's 68 degrees here today. 

Mostly I don't care for spring, simply because I have over 400 airborn allergies, and from the middle of March till the last part of October, I snuffle and huff and puff and itch.  And that's WITH Claratin. 
blooming pear trees sound so lovely! 

so...your winters are pretty mild then? 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We say the same thing over here in MN

My absolute favorite thing about spring is that everything is green! Snow is pretty and sparkley at first, but it gets real old real fast. After it stops being pretty, it's just gloomy and dead and cold. It makes me so happy to finally have things growing again.
Besides that, I love car rides with the windows down, walks on the gateway trail, pretty dresses in fluttery fabrics, and just good old sunshine! Makes me happy to see how happy Ruby is in the spring too, and this year I'll be taking her (and Onyx) outside!
i miss the green! and leaves on the trees too! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I look forward to opening the house and the spring fragrances of daffodils and lilacs. I miss- dogwoods, azaleas, and camellias.
me too! i want to 'air out' my house!

i love dogwood trees! 
  their blooms have such a lovely and subtle fragrance to them.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love the smell...the way dirt smells when it warms up. I work next to a creek...it's a long walk, but the smell of dirt coming to life every year, followed by all kinds of flowers, makes it all worth the while

It's also great to know Robin will have a few months of entertainment watching his fellow robins and Jay's flit to and fro, from his roost on the windowsill. Lol
that sounds wonderful! 

ahhh, our jaspurr is an avid bird watcher too! i think our little deedee and allie may very well learn that from him this spring.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The very best thing about spring is that the day time temperature gets above freezing for the first time in about 2 months. Night times are still in the minus figures, but I don't mind that.

Once it starts to warm up and the ground thaws lots of the cats go outside to pee which means I can get by with less litter boxes and less scooping.

I've just noticed my tulip and daffodils are starting to peek out of the snow. That's another thing I love about spring, a bit of colour after all this monochrome.
yay! for less work scooping! 

hmmm.....i'll have to check my front gardens tomorrow while i'm outdoors, to see if i have any crocus poking up through the snow yet. 
    it's been such an unusually mild winter for my area, that we may have our spring bloomers starting early this year.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Opening every single window in the house. The cats love to sit in open windows. They'll sit for hours and chitter away at the birds and the bunnies.

The smell of lilacs. We have two lilac bushes at the west end of our house. When the windows are open and the lilacs are in bloom, the smell goes right through the entire house. There is nothing more intoxicating than the smell of fresh lilacs. I always take a deep breath and say, "Smell those lilacs!".

Colors: red, pink and white peonies; the purple lilacs, yellow and white daffodils, the blue grape hyacinths, the yellow forsythia, red tulips, the pink of the redbud in the front yard. That gorgeous orange from our poppies. Color is everywhere and it's so welcoming after the greys and whites of the winter.
i love lilac bushes!   
     i had one in my yard, which i'd moved away from next to the septic tank (the sellers hadn't chosen a good spot for it) to my front yard. several years ago my lilac bush had a borer in it, which i removed. i thought about it and decided to remove the lilac bush, and replace it with a purple blooming butterfly bush. i love my butterfly bush, but i miss my lilac bush too.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the same joke in Denver, and lately road construction season has begun impinging on winter!

What I like most is the misty green look of trees when they're just budding out. And the weather for the last week or so has been so warm that I'm beginning to see it already, months too soon. We are going to have such a big branch breaker snow storm this spring. It happens every few years, whenever we get a long warm spell in late winter.

Margret
lovely! 

i was just thinking in these last few days that we'll probably have a pretty cold and snowy winter next year, after this years extra mild one here.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a lot of flowering trees here.  More than we had where I grew up.  You can walk in the downtown area and find sections all in pink or all in white.  It's just pretty.  Spring comes a little earlier here too. Usually in March.  Although this winter was so wacky my mother had her grape hyacinth in bloom from December till the end of January.  
  The robins seem to get here about a month before they get to my Grandparent's town.  I have always had to call them up to let them know!  

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We have a lot of flowering trees here.  More than we had where I grew up.  You can walk in the downtown area and find sections all in pink or all in white.  It's just pretty.  Spring comes a little earlier here too. Usually in March.  Although this winter was so wacky my mother had her grape hyacinth in bloom from December till the end of January.  
  The robins seem to get here about a month before they get to my Grandparent's town.  I have always had to call them up to let them know!  
that sounds lovely! 

it's been a wacky winter here in northern NY State too! i wouldn't be surprised if we have an early spring here this year.