Question of the Day: Sunday, February 12

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning everybody!

Today is my youngest daughter's 52nd birthday and, at her birthday breakfast, she was humming away the tune to "The Animals Went in Two by Two" although she insists that she can only recall German words to the song. She's been annoying me with this tune for the past couple of weeks whereas I am at the moment similarly being plagued by Beethoven - not always the same tune but always B.! Last week it was part of "Son of Alerik" (Deep Purple) but since playing Beethoven CDs for a patient in quarantine I am now obsessed with catchy bits of classical music which I haven't listened to properly since my schooldays.

Do you have problems with ohrworms - music which is continuously on "replay" in your head?

Chewing gum, playing the ohrworm again, or listening to something completely different are some of the ways recommended to get rid of it. I just sit it out until the next one comes along! From Deep Purple to Beethoven, who knows what will pop up next! I can hardly wait to find out :lol:.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You've written that in German.. (although I think that would be 'ohrwurm'?) and I was trying to work out what it was! :lol:

I do, but I have a way of dealing with them.. It's a yogic awareness where you don't 'buy into' it but just listen with detachment.. it's hard to explain. Anyway, they seem to wear themselves out after a while.
I once has a student who was nearly deaf, but wouldn't get a hearing aid as she had constant music playing in her head and she liked it. :lol:; like her own personal radio station. It was pretty amazing as a lot of it was music she knew, but some wasn't!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, one that is horrible, because i sing the silly tune all day long (and thanks, now I will today too! LOL!) is by the Irish Rovers, Wasn't that a Party!.....Could have been the whiskey, might have been the gin, could have been the three or four six packs, I don't know, but look at at the state I'm in. My head feels like a football, I think I'm gonna die! Oh me oh me oh my, but wasn't that a party! My favorite part is his drunk friend talking to the cat under the kitchen table.....been there, done that years ago......

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning everybody!

Today is my youngest daughter's 52nd birthday and, at her birthday breakfast, she was humming away the tune to "The Animals Went in Two by Two" although she insists that she can only recall German words to the song. She's been annoying me with this tune for the past couple of weeks whereas I am at the moment similarly being plagued by Beethoven - not always the same tune but always B.! Last week it was part of "Son of Alerik" (Deep Purple) but since playing Beethoven CDs for a patient in quarantine I am now obsessed with catchy bits of classical music which I haven't listened to properly since my schooldays.

Do you have problems with ohrworms - music which is continuously on "replay" in your head?

Chewing gum, playing the ohrworm again, or listening to something completely different are some of the ways recommended to get rid of it. I just sit it out until the next one comes along! From Deep Purple to Beethoven, who knows what will pop up next! I can hardly wait to find out :lol:.
You mentioned Deep Purple, and now I have Smoke on the Water playing in my head, so yes, you could say that I have that problem.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I often get songs stuck in my head...the worst is when I can't remember the song and only 1 or 2 lines get stuck on replay, and sometimes it's only the melody of the one line because I don't know the lyrics. So not only is the line/melody stuck...but I'm also getting annoyed that I can't think of the stupid song that the line belongs to.
I'm not going to think about this any further though, because I don't want anything to pop into my head today.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When I would walk our dog later at night it was dark and quiet. For some odd reason I would hear the same song over and over and often sang the words out loud because no one was around. I don't know why it would be this particular song, probably because I would hear one of my daughters sing it and it was popular at the time.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I often get songs stuck in my head...the worst is when I can't remember the song and only 1 or 2 lines get stuck on replay
That IS the worst! :gaah:

These are the songs that go through my head again and again, especially in the middle of the night, because this special has been the toddler's obsession lately.

I'm not going to click on those because then they'll be stuck in MY head. :lol:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Burt Baccrach but it’s my own fault as have been playing him on the ukulele. I find if I change the lyrics to cat themed ones it transitions it out of my ears.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, one that is horrible, because i sing the silly tune all day long (and thanks, now I will today too! LOL!) is by the Irish Rovers, Wasn't that a Party!.....Could have been the whiskey, might have been the gin, could have been the three or four six packs, I don't know, but look at at the state I'm in. My head feels like a football, I think I'm gonna die! Oh me oh me oh my, but wasn't that a party! My favorite part is his drunk friend talking to the cat under the kitchen table.....been there, done that years ago......
Great. Now, I'll have this one in my head all day! 😂

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I didn't have today but now I do!Love Deep Purple too but those guitar licks are running thru my mind over and over from Hey Joe!I think my cd is in the car,so I'll just google it and listen a few times,then it'll be gone...til the next one pops up,lol.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally the songs I get stuck in my heads are ones that I just happen to be listening to a lot around the same time. Lately I've had AJR in my head a lot.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This one popped into my head a few weeks ago, totally out of the blue. I couldn't get rid of it for days. I have no idea what even made me think of it. I wasn't even that big of a fan. The older ladies might like this one. 😜 Just don't get it stuck in your head. So sad what happened to him as he got older.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you mean there are people who DON'T!?!?!? Sometimes it's good stuff though.

This has been mine for about a week now.

I should note that my kids never really got into Veggie Tales as much as I did as a teen/adult so I only have myself to blame. :rolleyes2: :disappointed:

The couple weeks before this it was music from my mother's generation and a little Elvis (Can't Help Falling in Love :redheartpump:). Not all my favorite but not terrible either.

The WORST is either my high school's song or the Air Force's song.