Question of the Day, Sunday, February 12, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon!

Yesterday, I ‘took a day off’. Or rather, as close as I come to taking a day off. 

So, for today’s Question of the Day……

When was the last day you ‘took off’?

and, What did you do that day?

I’ll start!

Yup, yesterday was my ‘day off’. 

I got the usual daily household chores done, then i relaxed with my cats, sitting near the wood burning stove, and watched 4 or 5 episodes of Lucifer — almost got caught up with the series! After that, i sat watching the flames in the wood stove, through the window in the stove door. Then i worked on a jigsaw puzzle (on my computer), and played other computer games. All in all, a very peaceful and relaxing day for myself and the kitties! 

How about you?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally - a question I can answer without havin' to look stuff up !  This is great !

April 13th, 1972 - the day before I incorporated the business.  I don't recall what I did that day though. 

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being retired I take off every day since April 1, 2010. I don't do all that much. I go on the computer, read, run errands when I'm able and watch too much TV. I want to get Netflex because I'm so tired of watching re-runs. My cats have all passed away so I don't have them anymore to love and care for. Boy do I miss them. I have ferals that I care for but it is not the same.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The last day that I took off work, just for the sake of taking off, was February 1. I took a vacation day.

I had just received my newest cookbook, The Southern Cookie Book, and I spent the day in the kitchen baking cookies. FWIW, the Brownie Cookies and the Swoon Pies rocked. Yum

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...I'm retired.  Every day is pretty much a day off, and it really isn't all it's cracked up to be.  What I'd like to do is some volunteer work, but with no transportation, that becomes problematic.  I potter around the house, clean a bit at a time, read, watch odd tv shows, swing Da Bird for Da Cat...stuff like that.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took off this past Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday I had to wait at home for a chimney inspection. I have a long commute; it wasn't worth going in for just a few hours.  Spent the rest of the day catching up on house cleaning and errands.

Thursday we were expecting up to 15" of snow. Woke up my normal time and it was a mess outside and there were already reports of large delays on my train line.  Wrote my boss and other pertinent staff to let them know I'd be working from home. In general my company isn't into this but recently have started to allow 2 days a year to use for that purpose.  I'm able to log in remotely so I worked from 6:30 am until about 3pm and called it a day.  Got more done in one day than I would have if I'd been in the office. No constant interruptions was awesome.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I spent last last Tuesday at home but ended up doing paperwork most of the day.  The next day off I'll have to start working on my taxes. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a Homeschooling Stay-at-home-Mom.  I never leave work.  BUT the Friday before last my Mom picked my kids up after we finished school for the day and instead of cleaning I grabbed my kindle and kindle fire and climbed in bed with the TV remote and didn't get up except to take a long hot shower.  I spent a lot of January in bed; but feeling crummy.  This was all about relaxing. It was quiet and It felt amazing!  

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wrote my boss and other pertinent staff to let them know I'd be working from home. In general my company isn't into this but recently have started to allow 2 days a year to use for that purpose.  
LOL. Two days a year - that's big of them! [emoji]129297[/emoji]

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL. Two days a year - that's big of them! [emoji]129297[/emoji]
In office presence is nearly mandatory for the type of work my company does.  It's an architecture firm.  Very professional. The Designers go to meetings or have in-house meetings nearly daily with clients and contractors. They have to literally see what is going on, can't do that from a computer at home.  All the materials needed for research are in the office also; stone/carpet/tile samples.  Huge plotting machines and 3D printers.  There is a lot of personal collaboration which happens that would be problematic not done face to face.  

Also, lower level employees are not adept at working from home. They need more personal direction meaning someone with seniority needs to be double checking their work.  

It's fast paced and things change rapidly.  

I'm the HR Director/Finance person, my contact w/clients is limited which makes it easier to not be in the office.  Plus, I'm senior staff too, and know how to work on my own without needing input.  There are days where I barely confer with my boss - I know what to do and it gets done.  There is more leeway for me than the Designers because of that.  Plus I don't need to look at pieces of marble lol.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I get 3 out of every 4 Fridays off.

I usually spend a good part of the day cleaning. I like things neat. The cats like things covered in cat hair, muddy paw prints and and pine needles. I'm outnumbered 22 to 1. Yeah, I spend a lot of time cleaning.

I do yoga almost every day and go for long walks when it's above zero outside. I'm also supposed to be finding the time to study Japanese every day, but I keep coming up with creative excuses not to do it.

This week's excuse is I'm practicing yoga from videos in Japanese, so that't the same as studying, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Finally - a question I can answer without havin' to look stuff up !  This is great !

April 13th, 1972 - the day before I incorporated the business.  I don't recall what I did that day though. 

that sounds like it was a great day, and very worthy of remembering! 

i rarely take a day off these days, as there are always things i could and need to be doing. and when i do take a day off, i find it hard to not start doing things that need to be done. it's just so tempting, when i see available time, to get more done and off of my mind. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Being retired I take off every day since April 1, 2010. I don't do all that much. I go on the computer, read, run errands when I'm able and watch too much TV. I want to get Netflex because I'm so tired of watching re-runs. My cats have all passed away so I don't have them anymore to love and care for. Boy do I miss them. I have ferals that I care for but it is not the same.
  that's most excellent, that you're retired!

netflix is great! no commercials on netflix either!!!

i switch between hulu, netflix, and amazon instant video (i have Prime membership). there are some tv shows and movies that each service has that the others do not have, so i put one on 'hold' for a month or more and then 'un-hold' the other -- for netflix and hulu. amazon instant video is available all the time for me, with my Prime membership, and sometimes i'll put both of the others on hold and just watch amazon instant video for a while. more variety for me.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The last day that I took off work, just for the sake of taking off, was February 1. I took a vacation day.

I had just received my newest cookbook, The Southern Cookie Book, and I spent the day in the kitchen baking cookies. FWIW, the Brownie Cookies and the Swoon Pies rocked. Yum
oh my!!! now that sounds like a really wonderful day! 
   a day all to yourself, baking cookies. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LOL...I'm retired.  Every day is pretty much a day off, and it really isn't all it's cracked up to be.  What I'd like to do is some volunteer work, but with no transportation, that becomes problematic.  I potter around the house, clean a bit at a time, read, watch odd tv shows, swing Da Bird for Da Cat...stuff like that.
retired......
   on the up side......you can read -- a lot of books, and set your own hours as far as sleep goes......? 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I took off this past Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday I had to wait at home for a chimney inspection. I have a long commute; it wasn't worth going in for just a few hours.  Spent the rest of the day catching up on house cleaning and errands.

Thursday we were expecting up to 15" of snow. Woke up my normal time and it was a mess outside and there were already reports of large delays on my train line.  Wrote my boss and other pertinent staff to let them know I'd be working from home. In general my company isn't into this but recently have started to allow 2 days a year to use for that purpose.  I'm able to log in remotely so I worked from 6:30 am until about 3pm and called it a day.  Got more done in one day than I would have if I'd been in the office. No constant interruptions was awesome.
very nice!!! 

i do believe that i read somewhere, at some point in an article, that people who are able to work from home are generally more productive. i think it's as you said, partly because there are no constant interruptions, and also that home is generally a much more relaxed environment.