Question of the Day - Sunday, Feb. 27th, 2011

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well my hunny and I finally bought our new tv yesterday, a beautiful 46" LCD.
So my question today is...

What was your last big purchase?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We replaced out cellular window shades in December???

Otherwise it would be the new car purchase in September!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Probably our tv for the bedroom. It's a 42-inch JVC with the ipod dock. We really like it. That's the last item I can think of.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
$500 worth of much-needed attic insulation! (And it is making a difference in the house already--we just finished it yesterday.) I think it was a wise purchase; it's already helping to save on electric bills--I can keep the thermostat much lower since we starting installing the insulation last weekend. Also, I think I may be able to claim an energy deduction on my Federal taxes for 2011 (?). Thank goodness for Home Depot's 12 months/no interest plan!

The other, more glamorous purchase was purely frivolous and selfish, and just for me: DH gave me money for Valentine's Day. We didn't get around to buying anything the week before, as that was the week that we had the Gandalf episode; after he died, we just weren't caring about Valentine's Day, so DH gave me money. I went on eBay the other day, and bought myself a lovely ruby/14kt gold bangle bracelet. I've been wanting one for a few years, and I found a very pretty one at a good price. I realized that I have a ruby pendant that I've had for about 20 years, but no matching bracelet, so I thought it was time to splurge!

Needless to say, I'm done spending for about a month now! (Though I just got home from KMart with $50 worth of storage bins for the attic...I really want to keep it organized now that we've insulated and floored it.) I;m trying to save money by not eating out at lunch, etc. I've had my "flutter" for the time being.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are finally re-doing our kitchen counter tops. Just bought the granite sheets!! Can't wait for the old ones to be replaced, will look gorgeous and I am sure my cats will approve

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

We are finally re-doing our kitchen counter tops. Just bought the granite sheets!! Can't wait for the old ones to be replaced, will look gorgeous and I am sure my cats will approve
Oooh, that will be beautiful! I love the granite look. We re-did our about 3 years ago, but we used engineered quartz (Silestone).

An update on the insulation price: I didn't know that DH had the shed full of rolls of insulation we didn't have to use! We just returned 16 rolls, so it only cost about $250 to re-insulate the attic--even more worth the expense. I wish we had replaced it 6 years ago, when we moved in. I shudder to think of how many hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars I wasted on the heating and electric bills. Until we removed the existing floorboards in many spots, we had no idea just how poorly done it was. Some areas had dinner plate-sized gaps with no insulation; many areas had only 1" of it. We replaced it with 9" thick batts.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A new computer and monitor for hubby. His was ancient, so Santa decided to bring him a fancy new one.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ipad, before then tuition for school which was around $3000 ...

katyabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A crown for my broekn tooth
does that count? It was $1500

My last big purchase that was something I actually wanted was a new boxspring and mattress. I loooooove it.
It's like sleeping on a big fluffy piece of heaven.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A 42 inch LED tv for our upstairs room where we sit in winter. We love it.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well our new big purchase will be happening very soon, I need a laptop to replace mine that died.