Question of the Day: Sunday, August 21

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I fall into the #6 category at my age,which will be 70 soon.As a kid I did all the usual sporty stuff,even in high school.Where I grew up we had an ice hockey team and my sister and I both played for several years.After a couple of dislocated knees...no more,and that all came back to bite me with the knees I have now.I walk on my treadmill pretty often at a pretty good clip,and I also raise the front end up so it seems a bit uphill,and I feel good about that.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess I fall into the #6 category at my age,which will be 70 soon.As a kid I did all the usual sporty stuff,even in high school.Where I grew up we had an ice hockey team and my sister and I both played for several years.After a couple of dislocated knees...no more,and that all came back to bite me with the knees I have now.I walk on my treadmill pretty often at a pretty good clip,and I also raise the front end up so it seems a bit uphill,and I feel good about that.
That's so cool you used to do ice hockey, but that sucks about your knees. I have a treadmill I used to use all the time. I'd put miles on that thing! Now it's a boredom buster where I'll put as many cat toys as I can find on it, stick it on high and watch the toys go flying across the room and hit the walls and the cats pounce on them! :p
For your knees, would swimming be an option? It's very low impact and such a great muscle builder and muscles hold all those bones and tendons and ligaments in ,and strengthen them. I'd love it if I found a good place to go swimming :(

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Those who do it to try to lose weight or improve their health - not always too keen on the training itself
)3.
I walk to keep my mind and body healthy. I am underweight but not by much. I am thinking of joining a gym only because they have
a machine that gives you a water massage, ha!!! Walking makes me feel better mentally but sometimes it's too much for my body.
Before RSD I played tennis and baseball

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was active in a fair amount of sports as a teen. I wasn't very good in some of them, but my parents didn't have me in sports as a kid because I didn't talk, so as a teen, I was basically making up for lost time. In high school, I played soccer (I was not very good), softball (I was decent and mainly played 3rd base), shot put and discus (the only sport I lettered in during high school). As for non-sport exercises, I mainly walk and hike with my dogs.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a definite 7. My Hobbies are gardening, Detailing cars, Online Shopping. A big fan of Hallmark Movies. I'm mostly a homebody, did my extensive traveling when I was younger. The only sports of sorts that I watch is Figure Skating and Ski jumping.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
3 for me.

Ive been working on redefining what being active means. I grew up thinking I hated and was bad at every sort of sport they threw at us in gym class. Now I’m realizing the approach could have been a lot more positive if it were finding ways to be healthy and active that you enjoy. I’ll never like a game of basketball. You’d have to pay me a lot to participate in a group fitness class. But kayaking can be really fun! I really enjoy strength training (nothing heavy though) and that’s produced the most weight loss for me. Reading on the elliptical is nice (and climate controlled). And a walk in the woods is good for body and soul.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 would be closest for me but being involved in motorsports, archery, shooting, bowling sort of mixed up between training and practice.
For motorcycle racing used to play squash 3 times a week and do aerobics on Sundays when that was a craze with a girlfriend just to stay fit so could say a 1 at that time.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so cool you used to do ice hockey, but that sucks about your knees. I have a treadmill I used to use all the time. I'd put miles on that thing! Now it's a boredom buster where I'll put as many cat toys as I can find on it, stick it on high and watch the toys go flying across the room and hit the walls and the cats pounce on them! :p
For your knees, would swimming be an option? It's very low impact and such a great muscle builder and muscles hold all those bones and tendons and ligaments in ,and strengthen them. I'd love it if I found a good place to go swimming :(
I played a lot of field hockey all thru school,so when a group of friends formed this very unofficial ice hockey team,it just made sense,and it sure was a lot of fun.It kept quite a few kids out of trouble,and kept the rest of us active and not looking for something to do after school during the winter or on snow days.Swimming is an option,yes, but I find myself so short of breath that I panic.I may look into their water exercise classes when they offer them again.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I played a lot of field hockey all thru school,so when a group of friends formed this very unofficial ice hockey team,it just made sense,and it sure was a lot of fun.It kept quite a few kids out of trouble,and kept the rest of us active and not looking for something to do after school during the winter or on snow days.Swimming is an option,yes, but I find myself so short of breath that I panic.I may look into their water exercise classes when they offer them again.
The water exercise classes would be really good. One of my friends has done them and she says they're a lot of fun!
I remember playing a game that was a combination of soccer, basketball, and dodge ball but I have no recollection on how to play it or what the rules were. We used to play games like that and make the rules up as we went along. As long as you could put the rules into words, it was a go. Some of the games got really, really funny!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The water exercise classes would be really good. One of my friends has done them and she says they're a lot of fun!
I remember playing a game that was a combination of soccer, basketball, and dodge ball but I have no recollection on how to play it or what the rules were. We used to play games like that and make the rules up as we went along. As long as you could put the rules into words, it was a go. Some of the games got really, really funny!
The town where I grew up was quite small and smack dab on the Hudson River.Not much for a bunch of kids to do,so we just kind of made it up as we went along.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The town where I grew up was quite small and smack dab on the Hudson River.Not much for a bunch of kids to do,so we just kind of made it up as we went along.
Even though I'm well into adulthood, occasionally my Mom and I will open the Yahtzee game and play a "make up your own rules as you go along." If you're rolling for sixes and roll four 5's, you can say "changed my mind" and switch to 5's. You can also use math to your advantage. If you're rolling for a Yahtzee, if you need a two but roll a five and a three, you can say "five minus three is two so I win" and take your 50 points. You can also roll a four and a 1, decide 4+1=5, and 0 = 0 so rolling a four and a one wins you 50 points. We get going like this and our final scores are in the hundreds, it's hysterical!
Another game we have done is played Tetris or Dr. Mario, but the person operating the controller is blind folded and the other person has to tell you what to do--and fast--in order to clear the puzzle. This has never worked at all. But it gets our sides aching! :lol: