Question of the Day: Sunday, August 21

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Morning everybody, today is a cool sunny morning, ideal for a game of tennis, a jog around the park or a swim in an outdoor pool or lake. But, I haven't played tennis or jogged for years, and since the floods here just over a year ago, the open air pools are closed.

Sport is my topic for today! :runningcat: 🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♀️ 👟 🏊‍♂️ 🏊‍♀️ 🎾 🏓

I am closer to 80 years old than seventy and have recently reassessed my attitude to sport. It has always been fun rather than an obligation and it's going to stay that way! :lol:

Electronic equipment at the small fitness club attached to a physiotherapy centre where I was a patient after a hip replacement, feeds results from my training sessions into a programme which works out my activity points, maximum loads, and my biological age according to my muscle performance and my own weight. The ranking list for the month for all members of the club willing to share their data, and my own personal achievements are sent to my phone, but I only recently bothered to open the app. Up to now, I have been blindly following the instructions given on the machines, testing my strength and then accordingly making the exercises more difficult and more painful. Looking at my phone, I found I was in the middle of the ranking order - not really surprising considering my age and the fact that not only body-builders with fitness watches who can add to their activity points whenever they swim, cycle, walk or even just go upstairs, but also disabled people use the facility. What did surprise me was that my biological age was 24! (21 for my legs, 25 for my lower back and 25 for my arms and chest)!

Do I really want to torture myself until my "biological age" is 21, the lowest possible age? NO!

So I will continue going to the gym just for fun! No more reassessments - just try to stay at my present level for as long as possible but reduce the loads manually whenever it becomes more of a torture than fun.

Apart from professionals, I've decided there are 7 types of people who "train":
  1. Mostly young, amateur sportsmen and women who train for competitive reasons
  2. The addicts (of any age) who cannot live without training regularly
  3. Those who do it to try to lose weight or improve their health - not always too keen on the training itself
  4. Those who do it - just for fun (that's me)
  5. By watching their favourite club or sport on site
  6. By watching from home (TV)
  7. No interest whatsover!
Where do you fit in? Be honest! :lol:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no interest in spectator sports or participating in sports. I am active. Always have been. I ride horses, although not since my horse got hurt and now he is a ridiculously expensive pet I see weekly. I am not a team player and don’t like to be around people much.

When I was in my 20’s I went to the gym every night. But, a bad experience in a lying leg press and a cute guy and an attractive woman in a thong ruined it for me.😹🙀😾😼

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely 7! Can’t stand organised sport. Football is an obsession that bores me to tears. I was a member of the AFL when it stood for Anti-Football League, not Australian Football League. Bullying sports teachers confirm my loathing of being made to participate in things I had neither the aptitude nor the fitness for (asthmatic). I like walking, but my days of going for long walks are long over. For a few years I liked Formula One, when Michael Schumacher was sweeping the field, but that was all.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Although I am in my 70's I'm still active. I love diy, gardening and try to do a up/down hill walk often. I dont see the point in doing exercise if you dont enjoy it, even if you have to do it for health reasons it can still be enjoyable I think.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no interest in sports. I used to go to the gym 3 times a week, did the weights then 45 minutes of cardio. I used different machines because I read that your body would get used to a machine and wouldn't have to work as hard. I did it for health reasons and hated every minute of it. The gyms closed because of the pandemic and I haven't started back again. I am by nature a sedentary person so exercise is always something that I hate, kind of like a dose of bad tasting medicine.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a 7. I'm not competitive and injure myself too easily with most types of explosive or fast moving activities. I have however, had to begrudgingly become a 3 in recent times. I'm not training for anything in particular, just started exercising to lose a few extra pounds and strengthen up a bit.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to be a 3. It's harder with the toddler, though we participate in Stroller Strides once a week. Sports and exercise have never come easily to me, but I want to stay a healthy weight and my metabolism is better if I've built a little muscle mass.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've never been interested in sports. I did attend football games when our son was in high school and college because he played and I was always there to cheer for him and the team. Ironically, though, he also wrestled in high school and I hated wrestling with a passion.

Rick watches football, any football he can find. His favorite time of the year is fall because of football season. I turn into a football widow. Saturdays are for college football; Sundays are for the NFL games. Sometimes I'll sit down and watch a game with him, but not often. He loves his Eagles (and cheers for any team that's playing against the Cowboys). It used to be quite interesting when our son (Florida State and Kansas City Chiefs), my brother (Notre Dame and the Eagles), and Rick (Penn State and the Eagles) were in the living room watching a game. The cats and I would hang out in the bedroom with the door shut.

While walking is not a sport, that's my thing and has been for the last 20+ years. I love to walk.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a 3. I do Peloton to try and get stronger. My stamina has improved and I've started developing my muscles.

As for sports, the only one I enjoy is mini golf :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When I was younger and in school I never particularly liked team sports but growing up with a dad who was athletic and ahead of his time regarding staying in shape for health reasons I realized I loved individual sports, e.g. ice skating, tennis, and long distance walking. I would say I'm a cross between #2, 3, and 4. My sister and I became avid runners in our 20's. At that time I said I would never join a gym/health club and I ran outdoors all year round - rain, heat and snow. 🏃‍♀️ I enjoyed being outdoors and combining it with exercise. Then as I started to get older running took a toll on my feet and I had to see a podiatrist who specialized in sports injuries. So although I still run a little I replaced it with speed walking. I was doing yoga also for the first time in my life.🧘‍♀️ I am addicted to exercise but in moderation and although I said I would never join a gym, guess what? I joined a gym to walk on the track which is easier on my feet, take classes that work on core, cardio, upper body weight and I've made friends with some wonderful likeminded people. I replaced tennis with pickleball and have learned to adapt to the usual ailments that come with getting older. :wink:

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the moment, I'd go with 6.
I eused to enjoy going to the gym, for the purpose of feeling better and getting in better shape, until covid hit. Now I steer clear of such places.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always been active and quite enjoy it - Feels great both physically and mentally. It does wonders with my chronic illness too.

Throughout my teens I was in soccer, equestrian, hiking, ballet/dance, badminton, archery, track and field, yoga and martial arts.

Nowadays it is still dance/ballet, equestrian, hiking, walking, yoga and also pilates. When I have more time in my schedule I would like to try kick boxing.

So maybe a combo of 3 and 4? I do it to keep fit and stay healthy, but also for fun.

Plus it so cool being to see amazing things about the world, like being able to climb to the to of Mount Vesuvius or see sites of nature such as this:

20210520_165441.jpg

It's really quite magical!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know what category I fit in. A mix of 2,3, ans 4 I guess. Until I was in my late 40’s I did no exercise ever. But after I discovered that I couldn’t even pick up the house or do light cleaning without having to sit down, I started to add some very light exercise, like occasional walks. A few years later I was diagnosed with diabetes and took up daily walking which did wonders to lower my blood sugar . When I developed foot problems I switched to an elliptical and weights at the gym and when COVID hit, I purchased a rowing machine and have used it every other day since then. Once I finish 30 minutes of rowing I do about ten minutes of stretching

At a certain age, and at nearly 71, I am there, it is truly use it or lose it and my goal is to stay active, mobile and strong for as long as can. So exercise now serves a purpose that goes far beyond my blood sugar . It keeps my grip and arms strong so that I can carry and open things. It keeps my legs strong so that I can get down on the floor and back up again. It keeps my core strong so that I can maintain my balance and catch myself if I start to fall. It gives me the overall strength and energy to do physical work like caring for the lawn or moving snow. And lastly the stretching also helps keep me limber and helps removes the aches and tightness that comes from age and too much sitting. I usually end up a session feeling tired but great at the same time.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Completely a 7. I used to be more of a body composition type but too much has happened in my life in the last few years it's no longer a priority. I am active at work and all my feet and on the move all day, so I count that as a work out! I really ought to work out at home, my upper body strength has gone down hill in the past 5 years or so. I lost a battle with a jar of peanut butter yesterday, I couldn't get the stupid lid open :(