Question Of The Day, Sunday, April 8, 2018

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright this is cheesy but I have to say my favorite concert was actually a school concert my cousin stared in. This was like 15 years ago and he played 6 songs on the panio that he wrote himself. My aunt gave my grandmother (who recently passed) a cd of his music from the concert and one of my most treasured memories is of the two of us driving to volunteer while listening to it while she pretended to be conducting the music. My cousin now has a job writing music for movies.
your favorite was a school concert that your cousin starred in!!! :thumbsup: that's awesome!! :)

and such a wonderful memory, of you and your grandmother listening to a cd of his music while driving! :redheartpump:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Celtic Thunder, Classical music concert in Prague and Lady Gaga!

And this was Lady Gaga back in 2008, when she was more indie and prior being a mega star - it was at a very small theater, and I was literally only a few feet away from the stage. She did a great job, very entertaining, natural and fun, original and intimate.

It was also my personal "Golden Years" in terms of my fandom for her, that 2008-2010 period. I loved her earlier self and earlier music, but haven't been crazy about how she is now. Very different. Sigh. Good times in any case!

Went to a beautiful classical music (Six musicians) performance in Prague last year. They did Mozart, Pachelbel and Vivaldi, and held in a basilica. It was looooovveeely! :cloud9: Definitely a huge favourite.

Otherwise, I haven't been to a modern music concert in a really long time, since I haven't been too interested - and if there was a band or musician I was interested in, they don't tour near a city near me :lol: figures!

Been to Ballets regularly and things like that instead.
Celtic Thunder, Classical music concert in Prague, Lady Gaga, and another classical music performance in Prague last year -- held in a basilica!!! :thumbsup: that sounds awesome!! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, with 40+ years of seeing live music, that's difficult to answer.
I mean, I've seen nearly every major rock, alt and new wave band you can think of. From tiny rooms with only a couple of hundred people to huge arenas. Favorite is so subjective.
So, I'll sum it up and use B'52's overall. Seen them probably more than any other band and it was always a wonderfully fun experience. First time was at college, 1977 or so. Good times!
your favorite would be the B'52's!!! :cloud9: they're a great band!! :redheartpump:

i'd love to see them play! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a very big music lover, I can't choose only one. I enjoy many musicians, styles, sounds, & instrument types. My cd, dvd, collection is large, & we have been to several concerts
it sounds like your taste in music is what i'd call eclectic!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

that's what i usually say about myself, that my taste in music is eclectic. for me, there's something to enjoy, some artists to enjoy listening to in almost all genres of music.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Who concert I went to in 1976 was fantastic. It was also the first laser show I had ever seen. Peter, Paul and Mary in 1966 was great also.
your favorite was The Who concert in 1976, and you also really enjoyed the Peter, Paul and Mary concert in 1966!!! :cloud9: that's great!! :agree:

i would have loved to see The Who in concert! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been to so many concerts it's hard to choose. I remember the 50' Godzilla was great at the BOC concert. Also, Bon Scott with AC/DC was much better than with Johnson. Also Randy Rhoads with Ozzy was memorable. But I think the one that stands out the most in my memory was Harry Belafonte.
although there were other memorable concerts, the Harry Belafonte concert was the one that stands out the most!!! :thumbsup: awesome!! :)

i would love to have gone to one of his concerts! :D

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only been to 2 concerts in my entire life, Josh Groban and She & Him, and I liked them equally. I'm not a concert gal though, I hate being around people.
you've been to two concerts, Josh Groban and She & Him, which you enjoyed equally!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

i don't really enjoy being around large(-ish) groups of people either. i've found that the jazz concerts that i've been to, once the music starts, i focus on it and the people in the audience seem to just fade out...of my focus.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The summer before my senior year of high school, my best friend and I saw Savage Garden. We had nosebleed seats and had to share a set of binoculars to see them, but we were huge fangirls and it was a dream come true.

I also saw Kina Grannis (youtube singer) in concert once. There were no seats and I got tired standing, but I liked the intimate vibe and I love her music.

I've seen a few other concerts (though not a lot) but those two stick out the most.
the two concerts that stick out the most for you are Savage Garden and Kina Grannis!!! :clap: very nice!! :D

one of the concerts that sticks out in my mind is one that i wasn't able to see/go to. i had tickets for a Sarah Vaughan concert years ago, which the artist had to cancel. :disappointed: she had an extraordinarily wide range of expession in her singing.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Wow ... That must have been great ! There is a cozy jazz club here - Catalina's - very nice to hear live music there .
Recently I have been listening to Johnny Rivers on YouTube. Very underrated artist from the 1960s .
yes, it was! :D i was very young when i first heard jazz, and it wasn't until a couple decades later that i really got into it.

hmmm...Johnny Rivers......i'll have to pop on over to youtube, and listen to him play. thank you for mentioning him! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can tell my age by the concerts I love.

All the free pops concerts
Jimmy Buffett
Van Cliburn doing Tschaikovsky's Piano Concerto Number 1 in B-flat minor (It gave me shivers)
Kaminari Taiko (Japanese drums)
The Kingston Trio

I want to see Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas Concert, but they're never here when I have money for the ticket$.
ahhh, that's a great group of artists/concerts!!! :thumbsup: excellent!! :)

if i could, i'd love to hear Bing Crosby singing Christmas songs. actually, there are many of that generation of artists that i'd love to hear sing. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pink Floyd. August 1988. Nassau Coliseum Long Island, NY. It was so good we went and saw them again. They were recording and this is the result. Delicate Sound of Thunder - Wikipedia
your favorite was Pink Floyd at Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, NY, 1988!!! :clap: awesome!! :D

that's so cool, that they were recording that concert! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Stones, Rubber Bowl, Akron, Ohio summer of 1972
ahhh, The Stones in Akron, Ohio in the summer of 1972!!! :thumbsup: really very nice!! :)

i've never seen them live/at a concert, but i've seen one of their concerts through a streaming service. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An Aerosmith concert where we had backstage passes courtesy of one of my students was probably the most memorable. Hall & Oates at the old Tower Theater in Philadelphia just before they made it big nationally was another.
your favorites were an Aerosmith concert that you had backstage passes, and Hall & Oates at the old Tower Theater in Philadelphia!!! :thumbsup: most excellent!! :)