Question Of The Day, Sunday, April 8, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :wave3:

this morning, while making my cats and then my breakfasts, my mind was wandering a bit -- i had just woken up. :yawn: i was thinking about the music i like now, and the music i've enjoyed over the years.

with these thoughts on my mind......

What was your favorite (music) concert?

i'll start!

without a doubt, it was a jazz festival at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center, here in New York). i'd never heard jazz before that concert, and i really love it! :cloud9: i heard Dizzy Gillespie play for the first time there. :D

okay, now it's your turn!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
As a classic rock fan, I have loved Deep Purple for a long, long time. Probably the most memorable concert I went to would be my first (of several) Deep Purple concert many many moons ago. Rick and I have gone to many concerts throughout the years, but, for several reasons, that one always strikes me as one of the best (it was in the middle of a really bad snowstorm and we had to drive 90 minutes to get home in good weather and that trip took us forever, we were higher than kites that night, so the snow didn't really bother us, the music was so thunderous, we heard "crickets" for days afterward). To this day, I love Smoke on the Water.....in fact, it's been my ringtone for a long time on my phone.

Another outstanding concert for me was the first Aerosmith concert I saw. I've been a Tyler fan since forever and we've seen Aerosmith several times. The first one was great; after that, the drugs had really gotten to him and I was really disappointed. I wouldn't go again.

Rick would probably tell you that his favorite concert was ACDC in Quebec. Best concert ever, in his opinion. And it was outstanding (Angus just rocks). Followed very closely by Santana.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to any pop concerts yet but my favourite classical concert was a Mozart rendition at the Liechtenstein Palace in Vienna. The setting was absolutely perfect and the musicians wore period dress - the gowns were beautiful. Felt like I had been transported back to Mozart's time.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright this is cheesy but I have to say my favorite concert was actually a school concert my cousin stared in. This was like 15 years ago and he played 6 songs on the panio that he wrote himself. My aunt gave my grandmother (who recently passed) a cd of his music from the concert and one of my most treasured memories is of the two of us driving to volunteer while listening to it while she pretended to be conducting the music. My cousin now has a job writing music for movies.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Celtic Thunder, Classical music concert in Prague and Lady Gaga!

And this was Lady Gaga back in 2008, when she was more indie and prior being a mega star - it was at a very small theater, and I was literally only a few feet away from the stage. She did a great job, very entertaining, natural and fun, original and intimate.

It was also my personal "Golden Years" in terms of my fandom for her, that 2008-2010 period. I loved her earlier self and earlier music, but haven't been crazy about how she is now. Very different. Sigh. Good times in any case!

Went to a beautiful classical music (Six musicians) performance in Prague last year. They did Mozart, Pachelbel and Vivaldi, and held in a basilica. It was looooovveeely! :cloud9: Definitely a huge favourite.

Otherwise, I haven't been to a modern music concert in a really long time, since I haven't been too interested - and if there was a band or musician I was interested in, they don't tour near a city near me :lol: figures!

Been to Ballets regularly and things like that instead.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes, with 40+ years of seeing live music, that's difficult to answer.
I mean, I've seen nearly every major rock, alt and new wave band you can think of. From tiny rooms with only a couple of hundred people to huge arenas. Favorite is so subjective.
So, I'll sum it up and use B'52's overall. Seen them probably more than any other band and it was always a wonderfully fun experience. First time was at college, 1977 or so. Good times!

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As a very big music lover, I can't choose only one. I enjoy many musicians, styles, sounds, & instrument types. My cd, dvd, collection is large, & we have been to several concerts

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been to so many concerts it's hard to choose. I remember the 50' Godzilla was great at the BOC concert. Also, Bon Scott with AC/DC was much better than with Johnson. Also Randy Rhoads with Ozzy was memorable. But I think the one that stands out the most in my memory was Harry Belafonte.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only been to 2 concerts in my entire life, Josh Groban and She & Him, and I liked them equally. I'm not a concert gal though, I hate being around people.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The summer before my senior year of high school, my best friend and I saw Savage Garden. We had nosebleed seats and had to share a set of binoculars to see them, but we were huge fangirls and it was a dream come true.

I also saw Kina Grannis (youtube singer) in concert once. There were no seats and I got tired standing, but I liked the intimate vibe and I love her music.

I've seen a few other concerts (though not a lot) but those two stick out the most.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
... heard Dizzy Gillespie play for the first time there.
~ Wow ... That must have been great ! There is a cozy jazz club here - Catalina's - very nice to hear live music there .
Recently I have been listening to Johnny Rivers on YouTube. Very underrated artist from the 1960s .

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
You can tell my age by the concerts I love.

All the free pops concerts
Jimmy Buffett
Van Cliburn doing Tschaikovsky's Piano Concerto Number 1 in B-flat minor (It gave me shivers)
Kaminari Taiko (Japanese drums)
The Kingston Trio

I want to see Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas Concert, but they're never here when I have money for the ticket$.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The Stones, Rubber Bowl, Akron, Ohio summer of 1972

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite concert was Elton Johns concert that I went to about 15 years ago. I'm not into classical or Jazz

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
An Aerosmith concert where we had backstage passes courtesy of one of my students was probably the most memorable. Hall & Oates at the old Tower Theater in Philadelphia just before they made it big nationally was another.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a classic rock fan, I have loved Deep Purple for a long, long time. Probably the most memorable concert I went to would be my first (of several) Deep Purple concert many many moons ago. Rick and I have gone to many concerts throughout the years, but, for several reasons, that one always strikes me as one of the best (it was in the middle of a really bad snowstorm and we had to drive 90 minutes to get home in good weather and that trip took us forever, we were higher than kites that night, so the snow didn't really bother us, the music was so thunderous, we heard "crickets" for days afterward). To this day, I love Smoke on the Water.....in fact, it's been my ringtone for a long time on my phone.

Another outstanding concert for me was the first Aerosmith concert I saw. I've been a Tyler fan since forever and we've seen Aerosmith several times. The first one was great; after that, the drugs had really gotten to him and I was really disappointed. I wouldn't go again.

Rick would probably tell you that his favorite concert was ACDC in Quebec. Best concert ever, in his opinion. And it was outstanding (Angus just rocks). Followed very closely by Santana.
your first Deep Purple concert!!! and your Rick's favoite would likely be ACDC in Quebec! :thumbsup: very nice!! :)

i haven't been to very many concerts. i did go to one Grateful Dead concert, they were playing in the Washington, DC area when i lived there. the concert was...okay. :dunno: what i remember the most is the effort to get onto 'the field' -- the prized location to be, we had tickets for seats in the stands. we sat near the rail we had to get over to get onto the field for a while, watching the security guys. at a certain point i knew that was the time, and said 'now', and all four of us quickly walked up and hopped over the rail onto the field.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to any pop concerts yet but my favourite classical concert was a Mozart rendition at the Liechtenstein Palace in Vienna. The setting was absolutely perfect and the musicians wore period dress - the gowns were beautiful. Felt like I had been transported back to Mozart's time.
your favorite was a Mozart rendition at the Liechtenstein Palace in Vienna!!! :clap: that sounds wonderful!! :D

i've never been to a classical concert, though i'd love to. :think: