Question of the Day, Sunday, April 24, 2016

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good afternoon! 

for today's Question of the Day, let's talk about candy!

What were some of your favorite candies as a child?

How about now/as an adult?

as a child, i really liked Sweet Tarts. also atomic fireballs. but i think my favorite was maple sugar candy, which was a rare treat. 
    oh, and rock candy was another of my favorites. stick candy was another that i liked very much.

as an adult i don't eat candy often. i usually grab a lollypop when i stop at the bank once a month though. i never choose the red lollypops though, as they taste like sucrets cough drops...
  i still really like maple sugar candy as well as stick candy, but haven't had any in many years. 

okay, now it's your turn!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
As a kid? Golly, I think I liked pretty much anything, lol. If it had "candy" in the name, I probably liked it. Not sure what my favorite was, or even if I had a favorite.

As an adult, I don't do candy too much. I'm more of a salt-person, but I do have my sweet-craving moments. Usually, I like sour candy (think Sour Patch Kids). I like some chocolate, but also not much of a chocolate person. Shocker, I know! I do like the chocolate-covered toffee from this place down the street, and Snickers bars. If it's just plain chocolate, I prefer it to be dark. If it has anything in it (nuts, caramel, etc) I prefer milk chocolate.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
M & Ms with peanuts. Then, now, and forever. I just love them.

Anything chocolate with a wee bit of sea salt is wonderful, too.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a kid, I really liked O'Henry's (a chocolate bar with nuts for those unfamiliar).  Bonomo Vanilla taffy. Sweet Tarts. Those sugar dots on paper and candy necklaces. M&M's here too.  Starbursts!  Oh and red Swedish Fishies.  Yum.

Now, I don't eat candy very much at all.  If I have a craving for something really sugary Starbursts are still right up there as a favorite or some kind of gummy.  I also like high quality dark chocolate a lot - my absolute favorite is the Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt bar,  specifically the one made by Lindt.   I can barely stand to eat all those milk chocolates I liked as a kid.  Hershey Kisses taste SO terrible to me now.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My very favorite candy as a child was Mary Jane candy.  I also liked PeterPaul Almond Clusters (their candy without coconut).  I'm not sure that Almond Clusters are even being made any more.

Now, I don't each much candy at all, but I love Hershey's Kisses on rare occasions, and every Hallowe'en, I make a fool of myself with peanut butter kisses, you know, those candies that are wrapped in orange or black waxed paper?  Very much like a Mary Jane on steroids...I buy 5 pounds of it when it first comes out, and throw them in the freezer.  They last me most of a year.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The question for me should be what candy I don't like . LOL My favorites are tootsie roll pops, lemon drops, any thing with carmel. I like peanut rolls, Reese's pieces, whatchamacallit, Hersey kisses, turtles, snickers, M&Ms with peanuts, Hersey bars with almonds, gummy bears Haribo , and rice crispy treat bars.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a child, we used to walk to the penny candy store.  Some of my favorites were the sour "soap" candy, the pixie stix, candy "cigarettes", the necklaces made of candy, squirrel chews, the wax bottles with the liquid in them, the wax fangs.  

When I was older, I took a dislike to candies for the most part because they would always make me shaky.  I enjoy chocolate because there is fat in it which I can tolerate more, but to eat a piece of hard candy makes me extremely shaky and I have learned not to like it.

This is stretching it for a candy, but when I was in the first grades, I loved those pink coconut  marshmallow  snowballs that covered a piece of chocolate cake and filling!

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not big on candy & I hate chocolate. If I had to pick a favorite it'd be skittles, big league chew, lick a stick, and candy buttons.

My friends loved me around Halloween cause I'd unload my unwanted candy bars on them.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty indiscriminate candy lover as a child.

As an adult, I like Ghiaradelli chocolate (I just came across a blueberry/dark chocolate one ... love blueberries, love dark chocolate, it's perfect), pep-o-mint life savers, and bottlecaps.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Sherbet Dips.

It was a cardboard tube full of lemon sherbet with a licorice stick to dunk in and suck. My mum used to buy us them to keep us quiet every time we went to the launderette. Even now I can't smell that special launderette smell without thinking of them.

These days I get all of my sugar from alcohol.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved Black Cows, M&M's, Sugar Babies, really almost anything my nickel would buy! I also loved Pepsi in those small returnable bottles. I still love the Pepsi once in a while (but it has to be in a can, Pepsi in a plastic bottle always tasted funny to me), and usually eat licorice and cinnamon bears now and then. I wouldn't turn down most that were offered however!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sherbet Dips.

It was a cardboard tube full of lemon sherbet with a licorice stick to dunk in and suck. My mum used to buy us them to keep us quiet every time we went to the launderette. Even now I can't smell that special launderette smell without thinking of them.

These days I get all of my sugar from alcohol.

:D
Mum had a sort of sweet shop with fizzy drinks and some food etc. We used to have the lemon sherbet in a bag and use our finger to ear it. Yummy and lemony.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a kid? Golly, I think I liked pretty much anything, lol. If it had "candy" in the name, I probably liked it. Not sure what my favorite was, or even if I had a favorite.

As an adult, I don't do candy too much. I'm more of a salt-person, but I do have my sweet-craving moments. Usually, I like sour candy (think Sour Patch Kids). I like some chocolate, but also not much of a chocolate person. Shocker, I know! I do like the chocolate-covered toffee from this place down the street, and Snickers bars. If it's just plain chocolate, I prefer it to be dark. If it has anything in it (nuts, caramel, etc) I prefer milk chocolate.
yes, me too! 

i can actually understand not being into chocolate much! 
  i simply don't 'do' chocolate any more. i do enjoy carob though, i've always liked it as it's own particular flavor.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

M & Ms with peanuts. Then, now, and forever. I just love them.

Anything chocolate with a wee bit of sea salt is wonderful, too.
ahhh...M&M's with peanuts! 

sea salt and chocolate go so very well together! there's an apple orchard that has a store in my area. they make their own fudge there, among other wonderful foods. my brother almost always buys some fudge when we stop there each fall -- he always buys the dark chocolate-caramel with sea salt fudge.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As a kid, I really liked O'Henry's (a chocolate bar with nuts for those unfamiliar).  Bonomo Vanilla taffy. Sweet Tarts. Those sugar dots on paper and candy necklaces. M&M's here too.  Starbursts!  Oh and red Swedish Fishies.  Yum.

Now, I don't eat candy very much at all.  If I have a craving for something really sugary Starbursts are still right up there as a favorite or some kind of gummy.  I also like high quality dark chocolate a lot - my absolute favorite is the Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt bar,  specifically the one made by Lindt.   I can barely stand to eat all those milk chocolates I liked as a kid.  Hershey Kisses taste SO terrible to me now.
red Swedish Fishies! i'd forgotten about those! they're soooo good!

years ago when i was living in LA, the shop where i worked always had dishes of hershey kisses -- alternating between regular kisses and those with almonds. they were eaten as much by the staff as the customers!
  i think that because i'd eaten so many during the years i worked there, i've just never had any interest in hershey kisses since.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My very favorite candy as a child was Mary Jane candy.  I also liked PeterPaul Almond Clusters (their candy without coconut).  I'm not sure that Almond Clusters are even being made any more.

Now, I don't each much candy at all, but I love Hershey's Kisses on rare occasions, and every Hallowe'en, I make a fool of myself with peanut butter kisses, you know, those candies that are wrapped in orange or black waxed paper?  Very much like a Mary Jane on steroids...I buy 5 pounds of it when it first comes out, and throw them in the freezer.  They last me most of a year.
i never tried the PeterPaul Almond Cluster. it was discontinued, much to the dismay of many. from what i read (did an internet search), the Almond Cluster had a malted milk 'center' to it. at some point, the malted milk center was removed, and all that was left was the chocolate and almonds. removing the malted milk center seems to have been the 'downfall' of the Almond Clusters -- they just weren't as good. and not too long after that, Almond Clusters were discontinued. 

mmmm...peanut butter kisses! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The question for me should be what candy I don't like . LOL My favorites are tootsie roll pops, lemon drops, any thing with carmel. I like peanut rolls, Reese's pieces, whatchamacallit, Hersey kisses, turtles, snickers, M&Ms with peanuts, Hersey bars with almonds, gummy bears Haribo , and rice crispy treat bars.
mmmm......lemon drops! 

i bought a really good peanut roll at the local Tractor Supply store 2 or 3 months ago. i had the choice between (i guess) the regular peanut roll, and one that had peanut butter in it. i went for the one with peanut butter, because i love peanut butter but also because i figured there may be some small amount of protein in it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not big on candy & I hate chocolate. If I had to pick a favorite it'd be skittles, big league chew, lick a stick, and candy buttons.

My friends loved me around Halloween cause I'd unload my unwanted candy bars on them.
mmmm......candy buttons!
i liked the lick a sticks too!