Question Of The Day, Sunday, April 23, 2017

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You know, I never thought I would like an e-reader. But I do. I guess I like the convenience; if I'm awake at midnight or if the weather is snowy or icy, I can grab an e-book from our library with no trouble at all, flop down in bed and have a good read. I like the ability to change fonts and font sizes....sometimes physical books are printed with a very small font and lines very close together....that can't be changed in a physical book. As I get older, I like the ability to change things around to make reading more comfortable for me. If it's using an e-reader versus not being able to read at all, well, guess which one I'm going to pick.

I do like the feel of a physical book. But I have a nice cover on both my Nook and my iPad, so I open the cover (just like a book really) and flop down and read.

When I go on vacation, I used to always take several books with me. Similarly, when I go to the doctor or the dentist, I always had one or two books with me (I am usually reading more than one book at a time). Now? I take two things, my Nook and my iPad....there are literally worlds of books on those two items! I continue to be amazed at how many books they will hold and I keep adding more and more and more.

I also have several magazines that are downloaded digitally to my Nook. For example, Rick's Sports Illustrated is digital and, while I'm not into sports, I read SI from cover to cover on my Nook (he still gets the physical magazine, as well). I can probably answer more sports-related questions than the average non-sports fan, simply because I read SI. And why do I read it? I guess, because it's there. I don't know.

The bad thing about an e-reader (and this happens to me) is that you get to a really good part of your book and you get "4%. Plug your charger in). That is frustrating. Grrrrrrr

So really, I think there are good things and not-so-good things about both physical books and e-books.

ETA: I, too, never thought I'd be able to get lost in an e-book. Until one afternoon, I was sitting at my desk here at work reading a book on my Nook.....and tried to turn the page. I was so engrossed in the story that I completely forgot I was on my Nook. It can happen.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy reading, and love the feel of a book in my hands. I also spend more than enough time looking at the screen; I don't believe it is good for the eyes. So I don't have any e reader.

I've been a regular at the library every other Tuesday for many years now, and in 3 different states! This way I don't accumulate the books! LOL
ahhh, going to the library!!! :cloud9:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my Kindle Fire. I have a bunch of hard and paperback books. They take up a lot of space. They also collect dust. They will eventually be gone with few exceptions.
on your Kindle Fire!! very nice!!! :clap:

years ago when i still had my collection of paperback and hard cover books, i loved reading them -- the feel of them and turning the pages. i loved just having them around me! it was honestly one of the hardest decisions i've made, to switch to e-books...an e-reader. and for me, that was also a very good decision. just having the extra space in my home, is a wonderful thing!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading is a passion of mine, always has been. I am reading paperbacks right now out of my dad's library, I love holding a book, especially a hardcover and experiencing the 'feel' of it. I also have a Kindle which I especially love because of the backlit screen which comes in handy when we stay the night somewhere and I want to read in the mornings without waking my husband up. It's also easier to see since my old eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I love a good thriller, I am fascinated by forensics and always have been. I also like to see the 'bad guy' brought to justice and how they do it.
a very nice combination of paperbacks/hard cover books and e-books! :thumbsup:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snip>
So really, I think there are good things and not-so-good things about both physical books and e-books.

ETA: I, too, never thought I'd be able to get lost in an e-book. Until one afternoon, I was sitting at my desk here at work reading a book on my Nook.....and tried to turn the page. I was so engrossed in the story that I completely forgot I was on my Nook. It can happen.
very well said!!! :agree:

i love it! :D i've never tried to turn the page while reading an e-book, but i get just as 'into' the e-books i read as i did with paperbacks/hard cover books.