Question Of The Day. Sunday 30th of January.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
First, a reminder that we're looking for someone to take over doing Sunday's QOTD. If you're interested please PM me.

:)

Today's Question: Do you collect anything? How long have you been collecting? How big is your collection?

I try not to collect things because I'm constantly trying to declutter, but I do have quite a few cacti and succulents. I figure it's not really collecting if they're living things. It's more like adopting, right?

I've been collecting for about 8 years now, my oldest cacti is still going strong. I have about 30 of them all together.

What do you collect?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aside from new aches and pains, not much. When I was younger, I had both stamp and baseball card collections, but those disappeared while I was away in the service. I had a book collection, but I gave those away. I had various railroad items, but those are gone now, too. About all I still have are Lincoln 'wheat pennies', made until the 'Memorial' pennies were introduced in 1959. I currently have around 100, dating from 1921 to 1958.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plants too, though I have downsized tremendously. they get WAY too big over through years and then I donate them to banks, church lobbies, etc. The only one I have kept is a 'corn' plant that we received at my husband's brother's funeral, 42 years ago! I cut off the top and start it over once it reaches the ceiling, probably ten times now. I also have a Christmas cactus that is well over a hundred years old, my older neighbor had it and said HER mom had it. I've had it for thirty or so.
I also collect any glass animal, usually chickens on a 'basket'. I have about fifty of them, some really unusual, some really old, and display them on top of my kitchen cabinets. The most unusual is a pink glass deer, and 2 roosters with hens out of purple and while 'slag glass'. I also have a black glass hen with a white head, I have never seen another one!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to be more of a collector when I was younger. Fiestaware and Barbies at one point.

As I get older I have less of a desire for things cluttering up the house (my husband, much to my chagrin, keeps collecting Funkos).

Most of my collectibles now are art related - one being miniature pottery, most by an artist that has sadly passed on, but now and then I find a piece somewhere to add to the ones I purchased from her directly years ago.

The one thing I continue to add regularly are vases. I grow roses, peonies, hydrangea and other flowers and love having them in the house in warmer months. I pick the vase that best compliments the flowers and having the arrangement look different each time. Having a wide variety of color, shape and materials to choose from makes me very happy. Those Fiestaware vases I've collected at least have a purpose!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
......and I've been collecting dust since 1st January. 🤣
A completely new kitchen means tiles removed from the walls, new holes bored for electric points and water inlets and outlets and ....... dust everywhere. I swear I can see a fog in the living room!
Another 3 weeks and it will hopefully be finished before the shedding season begins and I can also start collecting cat hair from my 4 cats again!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't purposefully collect things, but I do have a problem with letting things go or saying "no" when offered something or an "heirloom". LOL! I not a hoarder, but I can't get rid of things if they're "still good". Also, for example, when my grandmother was downsizing, she asked me if I wanted her vases...of course I said yes...I couldn't just let those go to "anybody"...so now I have quite a collection of vases. I already have quite a few as I do love unique glassware, which is why she offered them to me in the first place....but now I have way more. We also have a closet full of board games...but is it a collection when it's useful? We like playing games...so of course we have a lot of games....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Not anymore, unless you want to include my books, which I have a problem with buying. But even with books, I'm really only buying new ones from favorite authors at this point. I'd never say no to kitchen stuff either, although I'm getting better at it.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of my comic book collection. It's just packed away in boxes. I'm 67 years old and it's hard to justify keeping some of this stuff.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to collect thimbles, but I haven't added to that in a very long time.
Currently collecting yarn. I joke that I collect yarn, and occasionally knit. (Although knitting is on hold right now until I get my hand fixed.)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started a globe collection fairly recently because I have my Master's in what is basically modern day cartography. I also decided that whenever I can travel again, any souvenir I buy will have to be cat-related, so I have a small collection of things from other people who have given me souvenirs on their trips.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to collect salt and pepper shakers, a pair of turkeys, a pear in a tree, and so on. I don't collect anymore, but I enjoy using the ones I have.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mostly collect notebooks, shells and stuffed animals now; all of which I've been collecting since I was a kid and have pretty substantially sized collections over the years. My shell collection is probably the biggest though!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing now, but I have a nice box filled with ticket stubs from every punk rock band I saw! The odd arrowhead.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I was never a collector of anything as I do not like them piling up and clutter the house.
Well, except for memories on photo albums. :)