Question of the Day, Sunday 30 May, 2021

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Sunday, he last Sunday in May!

Here in Ohio, everyone plants over the holiday weekend because the chance of a frost or freeze is nil.

Are you planting
anything this year, veggies or flowers?

I will try once again growing tomatoes, Early Girls. I can taste a BLT right now.

What about you?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just planted my cherry tomato seedlings- 'Cherry Baby' and 'Sweetie' this past week. Michele got me some new flowers that arrived In early April, and with but one exception they are up, and two of them, called 'Leonora Widow's Tears' are in bloom already. The others are two varieties of daylily, 6 asclepias- which is a fancy name for milkweed- 4 'Blue Star' sea holly, and the exception was a 'Mini Belle' coneflower, which didn't survive. Although it got down into the 30s for the last couple of days, no harm seems to have befallen the new stuff.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I plant, I have to dig. Although, according to the experts, we've had more rain than normal for this time of year, the soil is as hard as a rock. Digging and weeding are impossible. So, my efforts will again have to concentrate on containers and simple pots. Some old dahlias overwintering in the cellar were beginning to sprout. They have now been planted in containers. They will surely not be as successful as last summer when I could put them in front of the house. I'll just have to wait and see!

I have cat-friendly plants indoors (such as sunflowers and hibiscus) which desperately need repotting and I am growing herbs from seeds. Still, it looks as though my back garden will remain a wilderness and a great success as far as insects, birds and mice are concerned but a horticultural disaster.
I am now going outside to enjoy the sun, the sight of a carpet of daisies on the rather long "lawn" and, depending on the direction of the wind, the smell of barbecues in the air (not always pleasant)!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't be planting my full garden this year. I have 2 raised vegetable garden beds, that are currently full of weeds. But hopefully next year I'll have the time. I will probably get a couple of tomatoes plants or something for the deck.
This year I'm actually going to be working on getting rid of a few of my flower beds. I just have too many and I can't keep up with the maintenance. The plants won't go to waste though, my sister and a few others will take what I dig up for their yards...my beds are full of perennials. I never do annuals.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
May is an iffy month here. I used to plant by the first week in May but not anymore. Last week I planted all my annuals and fortunately my perennial flowers came back.🌺 We've been doing a ton of weeding, mulching and laying brick edgers since we let everything go last summer during the pandemic. Unfortunately no vegetable garden because I learned when we first moved here that the soil has too much clay so my veggies barely grew.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point everything is planted EXCEPT maybe a tomato plant. I am waiting until they go on sale, which should start this weekend. Fortunately with tomatos all you need is a single plant buried deep in a big pot and it can produce a bunch of tomatoes.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I just planted some raspberry's a couple of days ago and I really hope they'll grow!
Raspberries are super hardy and literally grow like weeds. If you have rabbits in your yard protect the new plants with fencing but by next year they will be too prickly to be eaten. It takes a season or two to produce fruit but then they will really take off.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just planted some raspberry's a couple of days ago and I really hope they'll grow!
About 2 years after we moved into our house, I noticed a couple of sprigs of wild raspberries growing in one of my flower beds courtesy of the squirrels. Well, not really a flower bed so much as an area under my pine trees with ground cover stuff and ferns. The squirrels are always planting things for me! I've let them be and they have spread pretty well over the last 5-6 years considering they weren't planned. I'm hoping they really take over that area so I can get a decent crop of berries every year.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have my full garden up and sprouting with some little tomatoes on every plant. I have 4 kinds of beans (they freeze well), peas, carrots, corn, lima beans, 2 kinds of peppers and 5 tomato plants.

Then I have a bunch of flowers in pots and Sunflowers on one side of the house. I planted 3 new rose bushes a few weeks ago too. They seem to be doing well. There are various other perennials around the house and yard. I enjoy seeing things grow!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have the physical opportunity to plant anything.. I kind of miss it..
They do have some small pushcarts for tenant to plant a few thing, on the major balcony in here.
Originally they were all full.. I noticed one is now empty.. I wonder if I can grab that one.

It has not been a good year to plant veggies.. tomatoes, I am not sure will thrive, without a ton of care.

I could plant a Basil plant, one tomato.. and a couple flowers.. that would take up all the room...

I have to think about it.. A lot of the plants will be dead from the drowning rain this week end and the very cold weather.. There are too many extremes of weather, this year... nothing stable.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have the physical opportunity to plant anything.. I kind of miss it..
They do have some small pushcarts for tenant to plant a few thing, on the major balcony in here.
Originally they were all full.. I noticed one is now empty.. I wonder if I can grab that one.

It has not been a good year to plant veggies.. tomatoes, I am not sure will thrive, without a ton of care.

I could plant a Basil plant, one tomato.. and a couple flowers.. that would take up all the room...

I have to think about it.. A lot of the plants will be dead from the drowning rain this week end and the very cold weather.. There are too many extremes of weather, this year... nothing stable.
Better a little of something that a whole lot of nothing.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've already planted everything. I have a bunch of tomatoes, strawberries, spinach, lettuce and peppers growing in containers on my deck, then I have two shipping crates that I used to plant carrots and potatoes. In my actual garden, I have watermelon, corn, beans, peas, pumpkins, various squashes, beets, and more strawberries, but I don't think they will actually grow because I had them in my car a little too long.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Even though we're now entering Winter, that's when I plant as it's too hot in Summer for most veggies.
I plant a lot of spinach, silver beet, chives and parley as I eat so much of all of those. Also my pawpaws are looking amazing so I'm going to put another tree in.