Question of the Day, Sunday, 24 December

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My QOD: Is are you loyal to one specific brand because of something they've done right? This could be anything from a local company in your area who came out and fixed your family's furnace on a freezing cold night to a nationwide ice cream shop chain who gave your child a free ice cream when they dropped theirs. Doesn't have to be personal either. You could simply like a company's ethics.

My answer is yes. I used to go back and forth between dishwashing detergent. I mostly used Dawn, but still, I was open to other brands. The there was a huge oil spill, and I am fairly sure Dawn contributed to the cleanup. Enough that they have a picture of a duckling on their package. I don't care if they did it for publicity or marketing or if they only threw a little bit of money at the cleanup effort. They did something that impressed me so much back in the day (and I'm pretty sure it was a big thing) that I will only and always use Dawn. I don't know who the parent company is, but it is only Dawn who has my complete and utter loyalty. There are two containers beside the sink, which may not sound like many, but for a two-person family who buys the brand faithfully, it probably has added up over all these years.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dawn is a staple of dish rooms in many restaurants and commercial kitchens. It is sold in bulk containers from gallon jugs to five gallon buckets. It does a good job of removing grease or oil and it's not harmful if used with reasonable care. (i.e. Don't drink it! ;) )

When the Exxon Valdez ran aground, near the coast of Alaska, and spilled a gazillion gallons of crude oil into the ocean there were a lot of sea animals that were in danger because of the oil slick. Somebody thought of trying Dawn and it worked. Since they knew they were going to need a lot of the stuff, they ordered in bulk containers. They used it to save many animals and that's how Dawn got famous! ;)

I'm sure that, when the manufacturer got wind of this, they would have been quick to jump on the bandwagon. Hey! It's free advertising, after all! Heck! Donate some product to the effort in return for a big ol' dose of positive P.R! Right? What big company like that doesn't have a few truckloads of overstock collecting dust in a warehouse, somewhere, that they are itching to get rid of? A match made in heaven! ;)

Yes, we use Dawn, almost exclusively. In fact, when we make our weekly grocery list, if you simply write "Dish Detergent" it's automatically assumed that you want Dawn. The only time you wouldn't just buy Dawn would be if the brand name was spelled out.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loyal to Dawn as well - it works does the job - use it on laundry items that have greasy stains, tools etc. Dawn does indeed take grease out of your way and yes that little duckling being cleaned off did influence my decision (but it works too so double bonus).

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. I buy whatever has the lowest price (price per unit). Now don't get me wrong...I do have a few favorite brands, but price will always trump what I buy at the time I need it. My loyalty only extends as far as my wallet.
And call me a cynic but I don't give two hoots about any corporations philanthropy projects. 1) If they charge more for the same or similar product yet donate more...I'm the one who's donating. 2) It's all PR and tax incentives.
The only time I'm "brand loyal" is when dealing with small locally run businesses/service providers. It's great when you find someone where you can trust the quality of work, product and service, which ends up saving you money in the long run when things are done right the first time.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This could be anything from a local company in your area who came out and fixed your family's furnace on a freezing cold night
Actually that happened to us about four years ago on New Year's Eve/Day. We had no heat, the thermostat registered below freezing and the company we used for years wouldn't come out. They told us we probably need a new furnace. A local company DH's friend recommended not only came out but told us we did not need a new furnace. We have stuck with them ever since and have referred them to friends and neighbors.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am more brand loyal because the product is good. DH keeps trying to get me to switch detergents for the dishes and clothes because companies are always claiming they are healthier than each other. Nope. Give me the Dawn that’s effective and gentle enough to save animals. Give me my All Free & Clear that the kid’s both did well with instead of breaking out while also cleaning out clothes. Give me the sunscreen that didn’t give DD and allergic reaction worse looking than a sunburn…

Oh and give me the Heinz before Hunts. Dukes for sandwiches but Hellmans for salads (macaroni, chicken, tuna, etc).

I will absolutely talk up local businesses that have been there for us or are doing good for the community. We have a local bakery that was started by 2 sisters who came here speaking no English. They worked in a factory for close to a decade before going for it. They constantly promote other local shops and restaurants. Even bakeries. The atmosphere of that town has changed because now other businesses do the same. They employ probably 8-10 other women; most who speak English as a second language too. I can honestly say there is a tangible difference since the town has come together like this. Oh and the food is amazing. :lol: :yummy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, thank you for answering my QOD. I love the diversity and reasoning. My mom and I boycotted tuna for years (and we loved tuna) because of dolphins getting caught in the nets. (I know that's a question for another day, but I try to keep it positive.) It was only a few days ago that I did not know if I would survive the flu and I am finally home from the hospital but still recovering.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It was only a few days ago that I did not know if I would survive the flu and I am finally home from the hospital but still recovering.
I hope that you make a speedy recovery and can enjoy some of the holidays.

To answer your question, I am also loyal to the heating/AC company I use. They could have sold me so many big jobs over the years when the problem was only some little glitch that I will stay with them unless they move or go out of business.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sensitive to soaps and their odors so only original Palmolive for dishes, and Dial berry bar soap. The Dial is no longer made but I have about a two year stash.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am also loyal to brands and most of that loyalty is due to what products I grew up with. Off the top of my head: Cascade DW detergent (powder only), Scotts toilet tissue, Scotties facial tissue, Campbell's pork n beans, Heinz ketchup (though switched to the organic version), Bon Ami cleanser.

I also use Dawn dish soap (original only) for quick cleanups and laundry stains, Shaklee laundry detergent and some of their other household cleaning products as well as their vitamins, supplements and protein shakes.

I've been a loyal Ford vehicle owner since I was employed there for over 30 years.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sensitive to soaps and their odors so only original Palmolive for dishes, and Dial berry bar soap.
It's Dr. Bronner's soap for me. I've tried other store brand knockoffs and they don't measure up. They claim to be mild and non-irritating but, not only are they irritating, they smell like rancid oil!

We'll probably use that junk for getting the cat puke out of the carpets and just buy more of the genuine stuff to wash with.

Dr. Bronner makes a product called "Sal Suds" for general cleaning. It works pretty well for dishes and stuff when we run out of Dawn and need something to tide us over until the next grocery run.