Question of the day - Sunday 13 February

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning!

Last week I learnt that most of you consider Sunday as just another day of the week - perhaps going to Church or watching Mass on the Internet. Those living in assisted accommodation seem to find that, although shops are open, there are only limited offers of transport on a Sunday. So, I received many interesting answers - thank you.

Today, I'd like to talk about cats so Woolly Bear is sitting on the table monitoring what I type.

Have you hand-made any toys or other articles for these very choosey creatures? Were they appreciated?

Supporting an animal charity, I have attempted to make cat toys to sell - the prototype mice being given to, or simply stolen by my own cats and fosters. As far as my cats are concerned, the simple wool ball in RED (very important) is the winner. It is not an item that anybody would pay money for but, it is one of 4 self-made toys which I find hidden in strange places. Bought toys, dosed with catnip or cat mint, are simply left, very straggly and wet, in the middle of the floor!

When my daughter attempted to make a cat bed in the shape of an igloo, the foam filling was not stable enough, so the roof collapses whenever a cat tries too hard to make herself comfortable. The bed is well used, but more often as a cushion than an igloo. 🤣

So although neither of us are good crafts women, the cats don't really care.

Here are our remaining, appreciated, handmade articles which have not been sold or thrown out. Although Katy, a small black cat. uses the cat bed far more often than the other 3 cats, Woolly Bear insists that her photo should be included as it is far better than the one of Katy, who can scarcely be seen against the black lining! At the moment, Katy is basking in the sun on my bed and has offered no comment!

My few, successful, hand-made articles for choosey cats!
Handmade.jpg

Woolly Bear showing her appreciation
IMG_1039 (002).jpg

Looking forward to your answers and ideas!

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I discovered early on not to get to fancy with toys for Pantera. A simple twist-tie from a loaf of bread thrown across the floor is irresistable to Pantera. A handful of feathers taken from ducks and chickens in an enclosure of a nearby park ( I know it's unsanitary and risky, but I trust Pantera's immune system), a bit of hot glue at the base to hold them together, and a shoestring, and voila! A toy guaranteed to entertain- the feathers smell of duck and chicken, which no cat can resist. The same goes for Pimenta :cloud9::purr:

Of course, this approach is partly due to Pantera's habit of breaking things. She has broken wooden dowels, ripped apart shoestrings,and shredded multiple curtains and bedsheets. I am soooo relieved that Pimenta isn't like that

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love those small mice, they bat them around until they are hidden somewhere. Nothing excites them like a cardboard box though, with a hole cut out its side so it is a 'cave'. They have a real love for rubber bands too, but most are too small and I'm afraid they will snap it back into their throats. They do have large ones though, but not as loved as the small bands. Oen beloved toy is the elastic hair band, the whole pack I got is used up now, they are all hidden somewhere around the house!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't make toys for the girls. I've bought some, and I've been gifted toys as well, so there's been no need.

Those little mice are super cute!

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, Pantera loves rubber bands. She'll chase them every time, the farther/higher you throw them, the better. The problem is, they never last for more than ten minutes; she seems to enjoy tearing them into pieces almost as much as chasing them. Normally she leaves the pieces all over the place, but we think she has probably swallowed a couple of pieces. So we have to strictly supervise playtime with rubber bands :dunno:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't so much make as I adapted an old all-plastic kiddie fishing pole to a wand toy on steroids. Using a heavy duty needle to pass the line through a fuzzy mouse, we can cast it all around a room. The stampede to catch it is impressive. They also love to play with Q-tips and those small hair bands, whose proper name escapes me.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recently made some kickers for my cats and gave some to my local cat sanctuary, they went down very well. So quick an easy to make and they have been played with on a daily basis. You've made me think about making other things for them gilmargl gilmargl

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't really make crafty things. I think I put catnip in a sock once though. They love the packing paper that comes with my orders.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not a crafty person either. My cats have always liked to bat around a crumpled-up piece of paper and the rings off of milk jugs. Of course, they love a box as well, kind of like small children, play with the box and ignore what came in the box.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I had made a couple cardboard “forts” for Willow who loves being behind things but that is about it for toys. I have made both girls treat bottles that they love. These are empty plastic bottles with half a dozen holes cut in them. Then I throw either kibble or treats inside and they need to roll it to get a treat out.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the non-store bought toys are items Carleton has discovered himself, as well as our other cats in the past. For example, an empty six pack from bottles which I would put a jingle ball in and they would try to get it out. Even crumpled up paper and always an empty shopping bag or cardboard box with wrapping paper.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I haven't. They just aren't really into toys. They will play with them a few minutes and then they are abandoned. I have tried so many kinds with the same results. Those little mice you made are adorable.

Wooly Bear is gorgeous and I love her name. :cloud9: :redheartpump:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, Pantera loves rubber bands. She'll chase them every time, the farther/higher you throw them, the better. The problem is, they never last for more than ten minutes; she seems to enjoy tearing them into pieces almost as much as chasing them. Normally she leaves the pieces all over the place, but we think she has probably swallowed a couple of pieces. So we have to strictly supervise playtime with rubber bands :dunno:
I quickly dispose of all rubber bands, very dangerous. Even supervised I wouldn't feel comfortable. You are braver than I am.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t compete with the grasshoppers, birds, mice, lizards, etc. I did make catnip xmas stockings for Muggles once (my childhood cat) and she loved em to pieces.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not crafty enough to make them, but I did buy some hand-made cat toys that were made by a woman who is a good friend of the person who runs the shelter where I got my four intentional adoptees from. She made them to sell as a fund-raiser for the shelter so I bought a set. They were largely ignored when I got them.

If we buy anything that comes in a cardboard box, though ...as soon as the product is out of the box, before you can do anything more: here, we have the extreme edition "I fits, I sits"
Domino.jpg
No one had the heart to tell Domino that he didn't really fit.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I crochet a lot, but don't make a lot of toys for my cats. They have a lot of toys that are random stuff that they like, like ping pong balls or feathers.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before we had dogs,,I used to make my kitties that I had at the time little yarn balls,they had the mice,and I think just about most of the toys that WalMart sold.With dogs,no such things in my house anymore.They play with wads of paper,love boxes and paper bags,Otter drags in leaves that get caught in his fur and they all have a ball.Their biggest entertainment is the picture window...free tv!Loves them birdies and squirrels!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mine loved their Yeowww catnip banana so much that I thought I’d make one for them using Yeowww catnip. I used canvas and the original banana as a pattern. It looks exactly the same. EXACTLY THE SAME, CATS! PLAY WITH THE STINKIN’ HOMEMADE BANANA. But no. Not interested. :sigh: :lol:

I made a crinkle ball from cellophane and got a similar reaction. :yawn: Boooring. Oddly, they care nothing for boxes.