Question of The Day. Sunday 10th of October.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

I know I've asked this question before, but that was a while ago and we have lots of new members now.

Do you collect anything? How long have you been collecting? What's your favourite thing in your collection?

I collect postcards from all the places I've been. I have hundreds of them now. They always look better than the photos I take, and they're a small, light weight souvenir of my trip. I also have a huge collection of art postcards from different exhibitions I've been to. I've been collecting postcards since I was a teenager. I don't think I can choose a favourite one, way to many of them to choose between.

How about you?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I collect antique glass chickens sitting in a basket. Started to look for other animals too, have cats, deer, dogs, and ducks. I have them on display on top of my kitchen cabinets. I have quite a collection of Boyds Bears and Dreamsicles too. I seem to collect cats everywhere I go too!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I collect coins and antique glass. My favorite piece is actually a set-three milk glass battleships made in 1898 after the start of the Spanish-American War. There's a fourth one, but I haven't been able to find it at a reasonable price.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A long time ago I collected Shawnee cat pottery, e.g. cookie jar, creamer, salt/pepper shaker, etc. I sold some of my collection and saved my favorites that were in the best condition. Since then I haven't collected anything in particular - now my husband that's a totally different story, i.e. he collects antiques of all kind. :wink:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely buy anything now but I have a collection of art pottery and glass. I have two tall cabinets in the dining room where I display it and change what is out every season. Some of it is old, some newer, doesn’t matter too much to me if it’s something I love to look at.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had/currently rebuilding a collection of "The Scarlet Letter." I currently have about half of what I used to have because my ex-husband destroyed them when I left him. Most of the cheaper editions were annotated by me using various literary theories. One was a breakdown of all the symbolism in it. I am currently annotating a new version of the symbolism one. (Even the flowers mentioned in "The Prison Door" are symbolic. As a Victorian, he would have been aware of its meaning.) My prize of that collection is an 1884 edition with illustrations by F.O.C. Darley. It was one of the first gifts my husband gave me while we were dating.

I do have a sizable collection of books on top of that.

I also collect oddities, especially interesting or strange rocks or pieces of wood. I have one that I call Treebeard from LotR. Jasper recently broke it, but it still looks like Treebeard to me!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a while when I was traveling, I bought a new scarf everywhere I went. Didn't do that on our honeymoon, though. So that collection might be over.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aside from collecting new aches and pains, I have been collecting railroadiana for around 50 years. I have a builder's plate from an old locomotive, railroad-marked kerosene lanterns and brass switch locks, and other things, including date nails going back to 1919. These last were driven into the wooden crossties when they were newly installed so as to tell when the ties were due for replacement. This practice ended in the early 60s, so the only place to find them now is on old abandoned rights of way where the ties still remain behind.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I kind of collect keychains. I have a couple from different countries, from friends who've been there😂 the most random ones. Also shoes, but it isn't like a "I've gotta have em all" kind of thing, but just a "I can never have enough" kind.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
used to collect baseball cards as a kid then collected hockey cards and comic books for a while then got into collecting coins for a bitsol off collection after my stroke then got into keeping tarantulas :rolleyes: gf has maxed my limit on collecting those . :lol:so i have a tiny collection of 5 tarantulas only

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I collect coins from other countries. It's interesting to see what currency looks like in other places. And feels! A few years ago I got a Canadian Quarter in my change and I could tell without looking that something was wrong. I kept it of course.
Somehow, I got an Irish coin as change a few years back. (It has a harp on it.) I still have it, partly because I have no idea what to do with it! Haha! It is in our change jug. I think I still have some Slovakian bills somewhere.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I collect coins from other countries. It's interesting to see what currency looks like in other places. And feels! A few years ago I got a Canadian Quarter in my change and I could tell without looking that something was wrong. I kept it of course.
I still have my childhood piggy bank stuffed with European money-euros, Belgian francs, and Italian lira.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have coins and some paper money from my time overseas, including Spanish pesetas, Greek drachmas, French francs, Italian liras, and Maltese half-crowns and sixpence. The paper is a Maltese 10 shilling note and a French 5 franc note. I also have German, Polish, and Hungarian coins. I don't really collect them, they were just leftovers that I didn't spend.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I asked my FIL to bring me some change when he traveled through Italy but I think he forgot. I need to go through what I have and sort it.

Somehow, I got an Irish coin as change a few years back. (It has a harp on it.) I still have it, partly because I have no idea what to do with it! Haha! It is in our change jug. I think I still have some Slovakian bills somewhere.
Oh that would be a cool find!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've recently started collecting globes because I just finished my Master's in a geography-related program and maps and globes have always been things I've been fascinated by, hence my degree program. I also collect cat decor and I want to adjust that collection to only be cat souvenirs on trips I go on.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Teddy bears in all sizes. But I stopped already.