Question of the Day, Sept. 5th

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

My favorite was science, least favorite was math.
Same here, though you wouldn't think it would make sense. I had problems in math, though was ok in geometry. Never had a lot of luck with algebra, it's too abstract for my brain to remember - thus I hated that subject in particular.
Oddly, I loved physics and didn't have problems with the formulas (algebra). Maybe because you could use logic and always knew what d, f, t, m, etc stood for.

I also hated my last two years of HS English. Not because it was English, but because of the teacher. She was soon to retire so she slacked off - the last year there she would show up for one class and expect us in the latter classes to get any and all information passed on in detail.
And no, no syllabuses, either.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm in the minority here---I actually liked school.

My favorite classes were anything connected with reading, art, and music. I usually took every course in those subjects that I possibly could. It's kind of funny, but the required classes I had to take in high school always, and I mean ALWAYS, interferred with the art classes I wanted to take. By the time I was a senior I didn't have a single art class, but I was in the art department whenever I had a free period.

I detested science and only took biology because I had to. I never, ever liked math and didn't get further than geometry (barely). Strangely enough, I can do math in my head without really thinking about it. If, on the other hand, I have to write it out on paper I'm absolutely lost. Maybe I'm a math savant.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I enjoyed World History, although it took me getting an "F" on an assignment and being humiliated by the teacher, to make me get my act together and realize what I was missing.

I also enjoyed any sort of writing class, like journalism, though I found other journalism students to be annoying and pompous.

Basically, any class whose teacher held me responsible, I enjoyed. Otherwise, by the 2nd term, I was cheating my way through it. I think that was my litmus test for a class; if I didn't respect the teacher, I wasn't going to make an effort.