Question of The Day. Saturday the 9th of May.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good Morning.

Today's question is, do you have an accent?

I've recently noticed that I still have a pretty strong Bristol accent. When I first started teaching I tried really hard to tone my accent down so that my students could understand me. (I teach English as a second language.)

I thought I'd done a  good job until I heard my voice on a voice mail message the other day. CRINGE. I sound like the rabbit on the Cadbury's Caramel ads.

I still have some work to do before I can speak the Queen's English.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of people from the Northeast of the US ask me whether I'm from Philadelphia, so obviously I must have a noticeable Philly accent.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I do. I live in the northeast, central PA, so I wouldn't know what it would be.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Brooklyn all the way. There's no escaping it. When I'm there, it gets worse. I don't have the deep accent I did when younger, but I'm pretty sure everyone would be able to peg where I'm from originally.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though we've been in Florida many years. there is still a hint of my Bronx, NY accent....not as pronounced as some New Yorkers, but it's still there. I can't complain --- the Bronx is the home of Jennifer Lopez!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I think I'm mostly accent-free, I think I have a slight Minneh-soh-tah accent. But only a few words come out that way. Dontcha know :tongue2:.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think I had an accent. I was taught English by my family members who, if they weren't ESL themselves, the people who taught them were (ie, my brothers were taught by their parents, and their diction and some pronunciations do sound accented to me), but I also spoke almost exclusively English after age 4.

A few months back, I asked my boyfriend and he said it's a small accent - which blew my mind - where I speak (in my mouth) "more forward and up", as opposed to a more deep/tonguey/gutteral way of speaking. Quite a few East Asian languages sound like they come from closer to the front and roof of the mouth.

I have no idea if I have a regional Canadian accent on top of that because I consider how I speak "normal", but I can definitely tell who's a born and raised Newfie when I hear them. I know for sure I have a terrible, terrible English (language) accent when I speak Japanese and an even worse one when I speak Cantonese. Painfully thick, grounds for ridicule.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I do. I live in the northeast, central PA, so I wouldn't know what it would be.
I suspect you might have an American accent. :bigwink:

I still have a kiwi accent although I've lived most of my adult life outside of NZ. People in NZ have asked me where in the States I'm from, so I guess my attempts at "Americanizing" my accent have been successful. Still have a lot of misunderstandings though. NZ English is a tough accent for foreigners to understand fully.

Love these guys:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never knew I had one until I lived in CA in the 70's.  People told me I had a New York accent and others said I had a NJ accent.  They were the ones who hit it right on the nose, I was born and raised in NJ but until then I never realized I had one.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never knew I had one until I lived in CA in the 70's.  People told me I had a New York accent and others said I had a NJ accent.  They were the ones who hit it right on the nose, I was born and raised in NJ but until then I never realized I had one.
Haha, I know a guy from New York who has a strong NY accent even though he's lived here a long time. Of course he says he doesn't have an accent, everybody else does ;). But his grandson is named Parker and he doesn't like the name. He said "Pah-kuh? Who names their kid Pah-kuh?" I told him that if he said it right it would sound better :lol3:.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, I did a pretty good job of getting rid of my accent. These days I don't care and wouldn't have gone to the trouble. I grew up in Texas speaking English with a German accent, so I had a weird combo. Sometimes things slip a little after a glass of wine or two, but even then people still have trouble identifying what the heck it is. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A few months back, I asked my boyfriend and he said it's a small accent - which blew my mind - where I speak (in my mouth) "more forward and up", as opposed to a more deep/tonguey/gutteral way of speaking. Quite a few East Asian languages sound like they come from closer to the front and roof of the mouth.

I have no idea if I have a regional Canadian accent on top of that because I consider how I speak "normal", but I can definitely tell who's a born and raised Newfie when I hear them. I know for sure I have a terrible, terrible English (language) accent when I speak Japanese and an even worse one when I speak Cantonese. Painfully thick, grounds for ridicule.
That's a great way of describing it. When I speak Japanese I have to make an effort to speak at the front of my mouth rather than from the back. One of my teachers told me,

"Taste the words, don't swallow them."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I suspect you might have an American accent.

I still have a kiwi accent although I've lived most of my adult life outside of NZ. People in NZ have asked me where in the States I'm from, so I guess my attempts at "Americanizing" my accent have been successful. Still have a lot of misunderstandings though. NZ English is a tough accent for foreigners to understand fully.

Mr Husband went to New Zealand to do a year's study abroad/working holiday when he was 18, he still has a slight accent as that was the first time he'd been around English speakers. I really notice it on things like "Wit and wendy" instead of wet and windy and "Laydah" instead of ladder.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A lot of people from the Northeast of the US ask me whether I'm from Philadelphia, so obviously I must have a noticeable Philly accent.
Same here!  I'm from the Philly suburbs, and didn't think that I had such an accent--until I heard myself on tape <cringe>.  However, I never say "schnow" for "snow" nor "shtreet" for "street".

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmm...guess a usual Canadian accent? aside from ones like a Newfoundland accent, I don't have that. Nah I do not say "aboot" :lol3: Anyway, live in Ontario, formerly Nova Scotia, Quebec and Finland.

But I have been told small hints of Irish shows up, mainly because of my Irish GrandPapa. And I can mimic a mean Finnish accent! Thanks to my dad.

When I speak French, I defintently have more of a distinct accent. More of a international French/European French, so French Canadians notice and comment.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Haha, I know a guy from New York who has a strong NY accent even though he's lived here a long time. Of course he says he doesn't have an accent, everybody else does
Um yeah.  Californians don't have accents, everybody else does.  

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't  know  that I have any particular accent.  I was born and raised in Kansas and I don't think there is any particular accent there.  I have lived several different places since leaving home so I don't think I have an accent.  Someone once guessed that I was from Pittsburg PA, to be honest I didn't know there was a particular accent associated with Pittsburgh.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Morning.[/

COLOR]

Today's question is, do you have an accent?

I've recently noticed that I still have a pretty strong Bristol accent. When I first started teaching I tried really hard to tone my accent down so that my students could understand me. (I teach English as a second language.)

I thought I'd done a  good job until I heard my voice on a voice mail message the other day. CRINGE. I sound like the rabbit on the Cadbury's Caramel ads.

I still have some work to do before I can speak the Queen's English.
You already speak the 'queen's English' just not with vs plummy accent. So what if by our students s peak