Question Of The Day. Saturday The 29th of November.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good Morning.

Today's question is;

Do you dye or colour your hair? What colours? Do you do it yourself or go to a salon?

I've been colouring my hair with semi-permanent tints ever since I was a teenager. I've had it "natural" looking colours such as russet reds and chestnuts, crazy colours such as purple, blue and green and really elaborate combinations of colours such as dark red with pink streaks or green and turquoise.

Now it's a kind or dark purple-red colour, I figure I already stand out enough for a small town. I've always done it by myself, usually on a wet afternoon when I've nothing better to do. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I quit coloring my hair a little over a year ago.  I used to get it done at a salon.  I got it done with a neutral brown and heavy darker blonde highlights.  It just got to be too much time and money.  It just didn't seem to be worth it since I work from home now and I am in my late fifties.  I don't have that much gray in my hair for my age and I am willing to accept the gray now.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I completely stopped coloring my hair in my 40s when I got a few gray strands. I really hate the way gray roots make you look bald from afar and didn't want to have to continually be touching up my roots. Now I'm in my late 50s with little gray, but can't be bothered to color.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've colored my hair since I was 17. I used to do it myself, but geez, I'm such a slob with it. I've been going to a salon now for a good 5 years now anyway. 

My natural hair was a dark mousey brown. I'd been a redhead for decades.....loved being a redhead. Now it's more of a strawberry blonde, according to Rick. I had to go lighter because my roots are white. Not grey. White. 
 The thing is, I get so many compliments since I went blonde! I don't get it and I don't like the color at all. But everybody else does. Go figure.

I go every month for root touch-ups.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All the women on my Mum's side have been totally gray by age 25. Thanks, Mum, for those genes! So yes, I've been coloring for many years. When I was working I went to a salon. Been doing it myself for about 8 years now. I like the color "Egyptian plum" by Natural Instincts and use that. Last box, I got the wrong one a warm brown color, not happy.

I do not understand the trend for older women to go blond. Most of them look silly, IMO. My cousin has done this --keep in mind, we are of Sicilian descent, our normal coloring is dark hair with olive skin. She does not color her eyebrows so those remain dark. She has had this look for a few years now. Smh

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To be honest; I can't be bothered.  My hair is a darker golden brown naturally.  It usually looks darker in pictures.  I'm getting more gray strands in there but I still don't care.  It's just another maintenance thing I don't want to have to keep up with.  The last girl who used to do my hair asked all the time.  If I part my hair to the side it looks a different shade of brown and people think I"ve dyed it.  That's good enough for me if I feel I need a change.

DH is a faded redhead and it's made him look blond.  When I cut his hair is when I notice how truly white it is getting.  Also when I look at pictures of us when we were younger.  I don't know if he has any hair that's the shade of red he was born with.  His mother is in her 60s and just now lost most of her color.  Apparently the white hair gene skipped a generation there. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm blonde and I highlight mine about every 4-6 times a year.    I was there yesterday. Decided to add some low lights into it.  I feel like as I'm getting older, the lighter blonde is not realistic for my age although my hairdresser is great at making natural looking.  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never have, probably never will. I wouldn't mind if I had some silver but I probably won't have any until I'm at least 50 if my mom and grandmother are any indication.

I don't like that peach color that old ladies always have :tongue2:. I'm not sure what color they were going for but that peach shade is just terrible. I know that black dye tends to look blue on gray hair so I understand blue-haired old ladies but I don't know what color the peach is supposed to be. Maybe brown.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, my husband asked me not to do the "blond short hair-thing" when I got older, which I thought was pretty funny.

His mom does it and my mom did it. I understand the reasoning, since your skin changes when you get older and at some point, dark hair isn't complimentary anymore. It tends to really make the wrinkles pop out. So I see why people would pick blond, it's both light color and not necessarily an "old" color.

Too bad it doesn't look good. It's particularly bad when it's coupled with a short man-style haircut, but I blame the stylists for doing that to older women.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lighter colors also mean that gray roots don't show as much.  For myself when I was still getting my hair colored and only had some gray, a color close to my own natural color along with a lot of darker blond highlights would blend in with my natural color.  My roots really wouldn't show much until they were really long.  

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i do it myself anymore. the salons over charge wayyyyyy tooooo much. my natural color is brown but i like to do mine a dark reddish brown. For a while i used to bleach blonde but the upkeep on the roots is not my style. i found the hair dye that works best with my hair is Feria. im actually due for a re-dye but hubby keep arguing he likes my natural color.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't colored it in a long while. But I am getting ready to. My hair is silver and I love it, but it needs some body. I am going this week to get highlights and lowlights, leaving some of the gray.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a natural light blonde.

But I did dye my hair red back when I was a teen (14 to 18 years old) because I wanted to look different, and was fustrated by dumb blonde whatnots etc etc. There was a lot of trial and error to finally get a decently natural look too.

I stopped because of the maintenance - the messy dye, the fading, which you could notice the difference when I retouched my hair because my hair went from light brownish red to deeper brighter red. Then of course after some washes it would go back to the former shade. And of course, the roots! I never wanted anyone to know that my red hair was not real, so even the littlest peep of root would be taken care of. The only people that knew were family (of course!) and some friends.

I am happy that I went back to blonde, suits me just fine, embracing my heritage, and so much less work :lol2:some folks were bummed that I went back, others were happy.

The trend I see with older women around here isn't short amd blonde, but short/bob burgundy or a bronzey brown with big blonde highlights.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have medium brown hair naturally but I occasionally dye it. This year it was first a deep purple and then I went with a vibrant pink, I got sick of keeping up on the color so I'm back to brown. 

wilsonsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been dying my hair since I was 16 (I'm 43). I have recently realized I actually like my natural hair color, but now that I'm collecting more grays than I'd care to show off, I continue dying it.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only dyed my hair 2 times in my life and it was brown. I have to get those gray hairs out  !  And I did it myself.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan that color sounds pretty!  

I have colored my hair sense I went to cosmetology school, after high school, so well over 20+ yrs now.  My natural color is a med. brown, but w/ my fair complexion, I look better & more natural as a red head.

For a few yrs. now, I have had silver roots, so now, It's also to cover those!  I'm 45, & I think I started getting silver in my mid 30's. 

I trade w/ a friend for my hair appointments. (She gets massages from me). Thank goodness, or I wouldn't be able to afford it either, w/ my long hair!

I will do s few copper highlights in the summer, & sometimes some low lights in the winter. I just had it done last week, & she put a pretty glaze over it, instead of low lights. It gave it a richer, little darker look.

I love it!  

I'd love to see some pictures of your hair colors!

Here's mine right now. The first picture looks a little lighter, because of the bathroom light.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I love that colour! Do you have to lighten your hair first? My hairs quite a dark brown, so the purples and burgundies work better for me. I'm really hoping I get the same grey streaks as my grandma. Her hair was brown up until she was in her 80's with just one silver streak above her left eye. It looked a bit like Bride of Frankenstein, but I think I could pull it off.