Question of The Day. Saturday the 20th of June.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What constitutes 'normal' food varies even by regions of a large country, I know that is true for the U.S.  My parents were plain meat and potatoes country folk.  They  always cooked vegetables to death and growing up I hated vegetables.  Now that I don't cook them to death I like them much better but for them 'normal' was vegetables cooked to death.  They also cooked all meat to the point of very well done including beef which means except for things that are braised like chuck roast the meat is drying out.  I now eat a good steak medium-rare to medium.  My parents would never eat a steak that way, they would consider it still raw and nasty.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That's how Mom cooked, Denice. Meat and potatoes bc that's what Dad liked the most. Beef was always cooked to death and then some, as was pork. Her vegetables were always way over-cooked.

When my parents would come for dinner, I refused to roast any kind of beef at all. It was usually something with pork or with chicken. Dad wanted his beef done-done and it's such a waste of good beef. I refused to make it that way. So when they came, we usually had roast chicken (you can't mess up roast chicken!) or some kind of pork roast. Sometimes I'd make a big pot of spaghetti when they visited with us. We would grill sometimes, too; Dad loved BBQ chicken. But no beef ever. 

My friend's wife refuses to eat any kind of steak with us. I'm a "Make it moo!" kind of girl. Very rare. Throw the steak on the grill, sear it, turn it over, sear it, and get it off. Rick says I'm part vampire. But if I stick my fork into the steak and the blood doesn't flow, then it's way too done for me and I can't eat it. She won't eat steak with us for that reason; she says it makes her ill. I don't really like roast or grilled pork overly done either, if I can help it. Not to the extent that I want my steak, but today's pork does not have to be cooked to death.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It means normal food, that smells and tastes good. Really good.
Well that's entirely subjective , isn't it:tongue2:. I don't like "traditional" American food. Plus, every food is someone else's "ethnic junk", and all food in the US is "ethnic" unless you eat what the Natives ate (venison?) ;).

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sadie's. Adelaide and Maud Street. Home-made food, no ethnic junk.

Not sure if you realize it, but the way that's written sounds insulting.  What do mean by "ethnic junk"?  Everyone's food is ethnic in one form or another.  
It means normal food, that smells and tastes good. Really good.
Maybe I need another coffee, but are you are saying for special occasions you don't eat food that smells and tastes good?