Question of the Day, Saturday, the 18th of December 2021

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, hello!!

What is your fave holiday food? It doesn't have to be Christmas.Tell us something your family likes for other holidays.

I love Nicole's potato salad that we always have on the 4th of July, sooo good!!

What do you like?

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm… I love an excuse to make a bone-in ham. We don’t eat a ton of pork so its a treat to do a “real” ham.

I always make a Broccoli or Spinach Puff for a side dish. I make it extra cheesy and its SO good! I’m not making one for Christmas because we are having lasagna. But maybe on New Years. I’ve ordered a ham for it so I can make split pea soup.:yummy:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite dinner is a standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding and all the sides. We used to do it for Christmas, then we switched over to the stuffed crown roast of pork and I'd do the rib roast for my birthday in January.

These days, to buy a nice standing rib roast, I'd have to mortgage my house!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite foods for holidays are: all the Polish styli grew up with.

We would take a trip to the Polish store and my mom would make a ton of cookies.

Stuffed cabbage— my mom’s. Cruschicki — Fried love knot cookies) sprinkled with confectionery sugar
Cheese Babka, real Kielbasa, beet horseradish, dried kielbasa— like a slim Jim, to munch on.
Polish cheesecake. Polish prune danish-like roll. Poppy seed roll.

And my mom’s cookies: Tollhouse, peanut butter kisses, vanilla nut cookies, and chocolate banana cookies—which were baked with a paper straw — decorated to look like funny faces, wrapped individually in plastic with a curling ribbon for a bow tie.

Memories.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am one of those rare people who actually really likes a roast turkey so I love Thanksgiving dinner.
I do too. The girls adore it. We eat roast turkey year round. Just not a whole one. I'll roast a thigh or a wing and we share it so I don't really consider it a holiday food anymore. They get very excited when they smell turkey cooking.

I think I'd have to agree with Pam about the standing rib roast. It's definitely a splurge especially these days. I haven't had one in a long time. I used to make a really good beef noodle soup from the leftovers. Now I just grill a ribeye for the girls and me. Close enough.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I always buy Panera's Autumn Harvest Butternut Squash soup. Absolutely delicious. 🥰 I love Turkey with Apple Walnut stuffing. There are some many other dishes I love, but I will keep it short. I love Bread Puddings. I have made Pumpkin Bread puddings and other kinds. It hits that sweet spot.

Eat, be Merry for next month..... I will be on a serious diet. Too much good eating! :yummy::cloud9::tongue:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am making a family favorite for Christmas Eve - Canneloni. It’s a long pasta shell that is stuffed with a ground beef and pork mixture, covered with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and then baked. When my maternal grandmother was alive it would be homemade sausage ravioli .

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Publix earlier to shop and pick up my sandwich. I was checking out the meat case to figure out what the girls and I would be having for Christmas dinner. I checked out the ribeye steaks. They were $13.99/ pound. I found one that was almost 1.25 pounds so it was just shy of $17. Whatever. We get more than one meal out of a steak anyway. As I was passing by the standing rib roasts I noticed that they were on sale for $6.99/lb. They had a 3 pound roast in the case. I had the butcher cut it in half. We're getting two steaks and I'll be making beef noodle soup with the leftovers. The roast was $21. The ribeye went back into the case.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the desserts the most. Pumpkin and pecan pie at Thanksgiving, and lamb cake at Easter jump out at me.