Question of the Day, Saturday the 13th of November, 2021

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I like snow while it’s falling and freshly fallen. There’s something magical about bundling up and walking in the quiet with flakes silently floating down around you. And I love sitting by the fireplace and watching it fall. Once people start driving in it and it gets slushy and dirty, though, it needs to quickly melt away.

We don’t get a lot of snow in Oregon, but I’ve lived in Michigan, Utah, and Colorado so I have a lot of cold weather clothing. And I don't mind driving in it but I avoid it because almost everyone else around here doesn’t know the first thing about driving in snow so they’re a menace to others.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was younger, I loved it, but now I don't. It's pretty, but it's hard to shovel and drive in. And here in Illinois, it lasts too long. The winter of '77-'78, we had snow three feet deep in the yard for six months.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's no secret that I despise snow. I hate everything it brings with it too. Ice, sleet, freezing wind and above all black ice. Snow has no redeeming qualities. None. Shoveling it sucks, driving in it is worse and so is walking in it. Even looking at it out the window sucks because eventually that $%#+ will have to be dealt with. I have always hated it and always will. Even as a kid. I would have taken going to school over getting a snow day because snow days meant shoveling the driveway from hell. Multiple times.

One of the greatest things about leaving Colorado and moving to Florida was leaving the snow shovel in the garage knowing I would never own one again. I don't even own a winter coat and that makes me very happy.

No to ice skating. Ice belongs in a drink. That's all. it has no other purpose.

I will never get why anyone would want to go skiing. Strapping a couple of sticks to a pair of boots and flinging myself down the side of a mountain does not seem like a good idea or a good time.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do like snow. I live in the perfect place for it too. I bought a snowblower a couple of days ago, so I'm well prepared this year. I about died last year the three times I actually shoveled (I didn't ever go anywhere, so it wasn't necessary for me to shovel).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would like snow if it could fall everywhere but on the roads. :lol: It's fun to play in and gets my kids outside when we get some. But the way it affects driving around here doesn't make it worth it for me. We have schools up the road so we get plowed decently (especially since some side roads here pretty don't get plowed unless it's a blizzard) but all the ice that builds up from people driving over snow in parking lots and things... It's just not fun. And I stay home as much as possible. I leave it up to DH to drive in it because he doesn't mind.

I loved sledding as a kid. It's too flat here for real sledding; but walking in the snow can be so peaceful. Especially when it's that kind of snow that insulates sound and it's just so quiet that all you hear is the crunch under your boots.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, nope, nope. I hate driving in the stuff. I hate being cold.

My attitude has changed since I retired. I still don't like snow, but I can deal with it. We don't go out in it unless we absolutely have to go....and we don't. And now, when it snows, I either spend the day in the kitchen or out in the WeShed with a book.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I initially don't mind it, snow can be very beautiful - especially when hiking or seeing it while staying cozy inside. It is also really nice during the Christmas season with all the lights and colours. But I don't like winter driving, I hate the stress when the weather gets particularly bad. Or even just having to scrap the stuff off your car everyday. I'm not really into any direct winter activities like skiing or ice skating.

Overall I'm pretty on the fence about it overall, it's fine when I don't have much to do with it lol and by February I'm over it and want spring to come by.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love snow!! It's such a shame we don't get it as regularly anymore. I've never gone on a wintersports holiday, so no skiing/snowboarding experience here. But I can skate quite well, as long as I have speedskates on! I can't manage on the other kinds. But since speed skating is kind of national sport, at least at the Olympics, it's not that much of a surprise 😂