Question of the Day, Saturday the 13th of November, 2021

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Hello and Happy Saturday!!

Well, it's here. The S word. We are not going to get much but it's blowing out there.🏔🌨🎿🏂⛷❄

I love the first snowfall. My cardinals and blue jays don't migrate so they look so beautiful against the snow.
I love taking walks in light snowfall. But I am done with it far sooner that it's ready to leave.

Do you like snow? Skiing? Ice skating, etc? What are your thoughts about it?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I very rarely see it! I enjoy it when I do, but am quite happy to not have it as part of my weather here. :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like snow as long as it doesn't turn real cold after the snow, that seems to happen more often then not. If we get a lot of snow I am okay with it as long as I don't have to drive in it. Since I work from home now I can just not drive in it. I hated it when I went to work really early in the morning or worked nights because the roads hadn't been cleaned off.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind it as long as it melts off and doesn't stick around like an unwelcome house guest. Two feet of the stuff on the ground and more on the way is just too much (good thing I don't live in Buffalo). In the city, it gets dirty and ugly-looking after a while.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living, as I do, in WNY, it quite literally comes with the territory. Since I retired, I have a different viewpoint. If I don't need to drive, I don't. If it starts to pile up, I fire up the snow blower. It was another thing when I had to drive 30 miles each way ( Yes, V vince , in Buffalo ), but those days are long passed. I don't ski either, as there are warmer places to break bones, and the nearest ski slopes are 50 miles away.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the first snow, we've already had a couple of inches. Now that I'm retired it's nice to have something pretty to look at if it has to be cold. 70 degrees today, so none in the immediate future!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the IDEA of snow...you know the beautiful winter wonderland thing. The holidays just aren't the same without a white landscape and sparkling crystalized trees. But in reality I'm not a fan. I don't do any winter sports or activities...I get too cold being outside for too long. Winter driving is terrible and having to shovel the driveway before you can get out to go to work, or get back in the driveway after work (depending on when the plows went by) is maddening. Anything under 10-15cm isn't so bad, but we often get 20-30cm of snow in one snowfall. If it's storming while at work...you worry about getting home, if it's storming at night...you know you have to get up early to get out. Then there's the age old "I give up moment" when you just finished shoveling the driveway and at that moment....that exact moment...that's when the plow decides to go by and leave a 3 foot bank at the end of your driveway :thud:....We always try to wait for the plow to go by before we shovel...but sometimes we can't.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I love snow. First and last time I saw it was when I was in Japan. I was so happy to have finally seen snow for the first time that i danced in the street, much to the amusement of passers-by.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't get much here being so close to the sea but I love walking in the fresh snow where no-one else has been but hate driving in it, try to avoid that at all costs.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not care for snow... Yes, the first couple of times---ok... after that, no more.

I am always cold, hate cleaning the car off and shoveling.. Wearing boots, putting them on and off, the heavy jacket, gloves... I am all but exhausted just getting alll this stiff on.. nevermind going outside.

I was an essential employee, so I had to get in to work. While I appreciate not having to drive in snowstorms, blizzards.. I still hate to have to get out there to clean the snow, before it freezes on the car...

We do not get small snowstorms--we get NorEasters...with more and more snow each year..
12-14 inches is a regular storm--- under 5 inches is nothing. thiches is nothing.

Nope.. I do not care for snow.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rememberliving on two snow routes in town, corner lot. The plow would come along during big snows and dump 4-5 FEET of ice chunks on our curbside sidewalks. It was SO heavy! We finally said if the city put it there they can take it away, they can fine us if they want. They never did....

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another non-fan of snow. I really didn't much care for it when I was a kid, though snow days did often mean no school. But as an adult I hate it.

Thankfully, I'm retired now, so I can stay home when it snows, and until the streets are clear. And I have a garage for my car. The driveway, though is another story. Sometimes a neighbour helps me snow blow it, other times I shovel it all myself. And, here, so often we get a mix of snow and freezing rain, so it's wet and heavy and to shovel, and by the time you go inside you're soaked.

So, no. I do not like snow.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snow is pretty but wildly inconvenient. But you gotta put up with it or else live in the tropics, and I hate the tropics, lol. So humid, so many bugs and fungi and just everything damp all the time, ugh. And the places that have dry mild temps are far too crowded. So I'll put up with it I guess.

I have never skied so I don't know if I'd like it. I do like sledding/tubing. I will NOT get on a snowmobile for recreational use. Ice skating is ok but hard on the ankles and I've never been on an outdoor rink.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Jem Jem that I like the idea of it more than snow itself. I do like ice skating and enjoyed skiing the couple times I did it, so if I'm properly bundled, I'd probably enjoy playing in it for a while. But I hate driving in it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There's nothing like the first snowfall of the season. Even after all these years I'm mesmerized by it. I've always been nervous about driving in it but mostly if there's black ice which happened to me last winter. :eek: Our dad used to take us ice skating every weekend and as an adult I enjoyed cross country skiing. But now I just enjoy sitting inside by the fireplace and watching it out the window. ❄

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was snowing a wee bit this morning,

Yes, I like snow. I love it actually. I just hate the cold. I cannot ski or skate because of my leg, but we have a nice, moderately sloped hill in our yard that we sled down. I really should not because the cold is literally painful for me and I have to have my husband pull me back up the hill on the sled because I cannot climb it; however, I like to do it at least once a year. It takes me a couple of days before the pain lessens, but I still want to do it! I make chai and hot chocolate for afterward. My neighbors often will join in. This year will be Hobbit's first time since we did not feel comfortable taking him down last year.