Question of the day: Saturday September 7

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
hello everyone..

I've been going through old possessions and found a koala bear I had as a child.  (so we're talking very old possessions...
)

He used to be my 'security bear'. 

So I wondered:

Did you have something as a child that cheered you up - a special toy, blanket etc?

Do you now?

(inanimate things only... otherwise it would be all about our cats!)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning, Mani 

When I was born, my grandmother gave me a little white stuffed bunny. I had that bunny all through my childhood and even took him with me when I married Rick and had my own home. When I made our bed in the morning, I'd plop the bunny between our pillows.

I lost the bunny in 1972, when Hurricane Agnes came up the east coast of the US. Actually, we pretty much lost everything at that time. But losing that bunny hurt more than anything else. By that time, it was just an old stuffed animal, kind of losing its fur. Wasn't really all that white anymore. But it was pretty much the only thing left from the time I was a baby and I don't have anything else from that time.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
First generation My Little Pony.. I had many from my childhood (and my nieces stole most of them!).. I am slowly trying to rebuild my collection

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that cheered me up was spending the day with my grandfather.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have my "Horrible Histories" books, from the Groovy Greeks to the Angry Aztecs and beyond. I loved reading them as a kid, and to this day I'll occassionally give them a reread. I believe I've had them since I was 9 years old! I read so many history books as a kid - and still do! - and this series was just fun, as it made me laugh. I always enjoyed historical humour altogether. They aren't historically perfect of course, but still fun.

I also have many small little trinklets that are still with me, from my times in the hospital as a child, from newborn to 11 years old - a small stuffed puppy, a porcelain bear that has a housecoat, an icepack and a bandage on its paw, a lovely auburn headed doll that my grandmother bought at the hospital gift shop and so forth.

I don't have it with me, it is under my mom's possession in storage, but I had a giant toy horse on springs that I always rode on, especially when watching dressage or show jumping on TV. I've had that one since I was two years old. I'm obviously too big for it now though! Hahaha, But still treasure it and couldn't let it go. Hopefully might use it if I decide to have my own muskrat in the long distant future.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have my "pink blanket" from when I was a baby - it was my comfort at night and my companion during the day, I didn't even want it washed because I thought the blanket could feel and that would hurt it. It's in a box in my closet right now.  It's almost in rags - boy did it soak up a lot of tears when I was a kid. 

I made a doll and matching clothes for our daughter when she was three. While I was sewing the doll, I cut a rectangle out of my pink blanket and made a little stuffed pink heart to go in the doll's chest - almost like a little bit of me is in the doll. 

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I had a teddy bear that I slept with all the time. :)