Question Of The Day - Saturday, September 18th

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love classical music. I hang out with classical musicians, so hear alot of it.

Mozart is my fave. He always makes me smile.

Bach - definitely. I'm Lutheran and I sing in the choir at my church.....Bach's really big there.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

Bach - definitely. I'm Lutheran and I sing in the choir at my church.....Bach's really big there.
It's pretty common to look down at that hymnal and see composer J. S. Bach....or should I say hymnals? I play from 4, the old German one, the old brown ALC book, the beloved red book and the LBW, and so much was composed by him. Easy to play and simple to sing.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

It's pretty common to look down at that hymnal and see composer J. S. Bach....or should I say hymnals? I play from 4, the old German one, the old brown ALC book, the beloved red book and the LBW, and so much was composed by him. Easy to play and simple to sing.
Simple to sing from the hymnal, very true. His major choral works, St. Matthew Passion, Mass in B minor, Passion According To St. John, etc. - very challenging for a choir - but so rewarding. We do the St. Matthew Passion every year on Good Friday - with a detour the past couple of years to the St. John Passion. I love singing Bach. I always feel like I've had a major workout!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

Simple to sing from the hymnal, very true. His major choral works, St. Matthew Passion, Mass in B minor, Passion According To St. John, etc. - very challenging for a choir - but so rewarding. We do the St. Matthew Passion every year on Good Friday - with a detour the past couple of years to the St. John Passion. I love singing Bach. I always feel like I've had a major workout!
I wish we HAD enough people to have a choir...but we are very few now, pretty remote so, we have to keep things simple. I do bits of chorale music at Christmas and it is a workout on the organ too!!!!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

I wish we HAD enough people to have a choir...but we are very few now, pretty remote so, we have to keep things simple. I do bits of chorale music at Christmas and it is a workout on the organ too!!!!
Very cool, though, that you're getting to play the organ and help the congregation to sing wonderful hymns - that's fantastic!