Question of the day: Saturday September 14

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello everyone and happy weekend!

My mum was a very busy woman, but I do remember it was a great treat to have homemade waffles, rasberry jam and icecream on a Sunday night.

Maybe you remember the lamb roast or an apple pie from long (or not so long) ago....

What were the special treats from your childhood?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My father would make chocolate fudge two or three times a year. My mouth waters when I think of it. It was better than anything you could buy.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmmmm, a warm Vimto float!

We can't even get Vimto over here, but l just loved it as a child. The fizzy kind more than the flat.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many, but first came to mind was the Finnish Pulla bread that we would make during the Christmas season. It is a sweet dessert bread that is in the shape of a braid, and is sprinkled with sugar.

Honourable mention: Hot maple syrup, poured over clean white snow to create a soft gooeyness, where we would then eat it! *Happy Sigh!*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

There are many, but first came to mind was the Finnish Pulla bread that we would make during the Christmas season. It is a sweet dessert bread that is in the shape of a braid, and is sprinkled with sugar.

Honourable mention: Hot maple syrup, poured over clean white snow to create a soft gooeyness, where we would then eat it! *Happy Sigh!*

The Pulla bread sounds wonderful, but I'm absolutely in love with the snow recipe. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mom made the best hot milk sponge cake around with a perfectly chocolate chocolate frosting.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

Mom made the best hot milk sponge cake around with a perfectly chocolate chocolate frosting.
I wondered when you were going to chime in, Winchester... 

I thought there'd be a longer list, but hot milk sponge cake says it all, really.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  How sad is this................my favorite birthday dinner when I was a kid was hamburger helper
. I had divorced absentee parents even when they were around till they left for good in my teens.......

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really have anything except sometimes I used to ride my bike around, collecting bottles and cans and cash them in to buy a popsicle. That was nice to eat in the Texas heat! When my sister was still at home she made us birthday cakes and those were wonderful. She left for college when I was 7 so there weren't too many, but I remember each one. (My parents completely forgot my 12th birthday that was pretty rough.)

Last edited:

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My grandma's biscuits and gravy and her chocolate cream pies were rare since she lived in Kentucky and we lived in Alaska but they were my favorite.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
It's always difficult to ask these kinds of questions as we all have different childhood experiences, some not so wonderful.. 

Mine wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, and I know these things can stir stuff up. 

I think it's great that those of us with less than ideal experiences can still share something positive, and I thank you for that...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I wondered when you were going to chime in, Winchester... 

I thought there'd be a longer list, but hot milk sponge cake says it all, really.
My mom was a good cook, but it was mostly meat-and-potatoes types of things because that was all Dad wanted and would eat. She never really had a chance to do much in the way of cooking; she worked and didn't have a lot of time. And we didn't have a lot of money at times either. I remember coming home from school sometimes and dinner was hot rice with milk and sugar. Or macaroni with milk. Or eggs with fried potatoes. And nothing else. I'm not complaining.....honest, I'm not. We didn't starve and we were never hungry. But there were times when dinner wasn't that great.

Had it not been for Rick's mother, I wouldn't be able to cook a thing. She took me under her wing and taught me everything she knew. (I think she was afraid that if she didn't teach me how to cook, her son would starve to death!)