Question Of The Day. Saturday October 26th.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not superstitious but if I get a sort of feeling or intuit that something bad might happen if I pursue a present course of action, like maybe before a 3am walk I won't do it. Last time my husband wanted to go on a small trip I told him please don't go, I feel something bad is going to happen, it did. Usually he listens to me when I get these feelings but this time he did not and ended up totaling the car and was lucky he lived-got T-boned by another vehicle and ribs broken, face injuries.
Finally now he is just starting to get back to usual activities. He says never again will he ignore my intuitions.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all of you believe in spirits, but I do. So when I sense there is something in the house other than the human and animal residents I sprinkle salt in all entryways, then pray. However, I am not really afraid of them, unless they start moving objects.

Every night though, I check all windows and doors. And make sure that some hard object is within arm's reach just in case a non-spiritual being does invade my house. I am more afraid of the real ones than mere spirits.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I consider them more as traditions. The first thing you do on the New Year will mean that you'll do that same thing all through the year. On New Year's Eve, I always put an old purse outside on the doorstep with some bills in it. After Rick and I kiss in the New Year, I open the front door and bring in my purse. That way, the first thing I've done in the New Year is bring money into my house. My grandmother taught me that.

My grandmother told me that you should never have your hair cut or trimmed right after a full moon. As the moon thins, so does your hair, if you cut it then. You should always have your hair cut when the moon is becoming full. As the moon thickens, so does your hair. I know it's not true, but I did that for years. I should probably start doing it again.

When Rick was still working, I always did a head count before I left for work. I was the last one to leave the house and I needed to ensure everybody was around. The best way to do that is to give a snack right before I left. Everybody always comes running for a snack. Rick is now retired; there's no real reason to do the head count anymore. The girls don't know that and I still give a snack before I leave for work. It's become feline (and canine) law.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Working in a hospital, I have adopted the superstition around saying the words like quiet, boring, and slow. It really does seem like when you or anyone say those words, everyone and their long lost cousin five times removed shows up in the waiting room.
I have heard, about the full moon, from pretty much every person that works in the ER. Do you also find that on a full moon it gets busier, and that tends to be when "the weird ones" come out in droves?

Last edited:

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have heard, about the full moon, from pretty much every person that works in the ER. Do you also find that on a full moon it gets busier, and that tends to be when "the weird ones" come out in droves?
Oh yeah full moon nights can be crazy. I wouldn't say that's when all the odd balls come out, as I don't deal with the people and what brought them in, but the full moon nights I have worked have been super busy.

One time we were completely full, like no room at the inn full and we would not stop getting chest pains. Chest pain is the golden ticket to immediately get seen, but not that night. It was unusual to have so many in one night.

Another time we were completely packed on one of those full moon nights and while also dealing with the patients lining up in the waiting room, we had patients coming in by ambulance more than usual, and having to put them in the hallway until a room opened up.

The crazies don't come in that I'm aware of, but some of the busiest nights I've worked have been ones with a full moon. Not sure why.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why I have one with a timer. Coffee is ready when I wake up. That is, if I remember to get it ready the night before.
I heard a joke and shared it here awhile back, and it goes something like "I grind my teeth so bad at night, that my wife started pouring coffee beans in my mouth, adding hot water, and setting the alarm for 6."

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I consider them more as traditions. The first thing you do on the New Year will mean that you'll do that same thing all through the year. On New Year's Eve, I always put an old purse outside on the doorstep with some bills in it. After Rick and I kiss in the New Year, I open the front door and bring in my purse. That way, the first thing I've done in the New Year is bring money into my house. My grandmother taught me that.

My grandmother told me that you should never have your hair cut or trimmed right after a full moon. As the moon thins, so does your hair, if you cut it then. You should always have your hair cut when the moon is becoming full. As the moon thickens, so does your hair. I know it's not true, but I did that for years. I should probably start doing it again.

When Rick was still working, I always did a head count before I left for work. I was the last one to leave the house and I needed to ensure everybody was around. The best way to do that is to give a snack right before I left. Everybody always comes running for a snack. Rick is now retired; there's no real reason to do the head count anymore. The girls don't know that and I still give a snack before I leave for work. It's become feline (and canine) law.
I do the purse on NYE thing too.